cookville show cancelled

I just got home to St. Louis from that show in Cookeville.

In DCI's defense, they may have had very little choice in venues once it was determined that MTSU would not be available. That said...

Either the TTU stadium did not have elevators up to the upper portions of the seating area, or DCI did not have access to them. Dan Acheson passed the group of friends I was with and said there were no elevators available. Not good for my friend that has really bad knees.

We also never had our tickets checked. We just walked right in.

Concessions were very limited -- only chicken sandwiches and pizza.

Again, DCI may not have had many choices in the matter. Vanderbilt Stadium (where shows used to be held in the late 80s/early 90s) was a great stadium. Don't know about Murray State's stadium. There may have been financial considerations as well (e.g. Vanderbilt may have cost too much). DCI probably did the best they could with the situation at hand.

I think you're correct -- if the show was in Murf, there may have been a delay, but the show would have continued. Oh well.

Van

I agree, Vanderbilt has a good stadium and Murray State is one sided, but seats around 16,000 with elevators and two levels of bathrooms and concession stands. Plus it has the Regional Special Events Center right behind the stadium (uses the same parking lots) that if there was rain, could have possibly been moved into for Stand Stills (atleast we could have heard the music). However I am sure this was all a last minute thing and DCI did the best they could. I am not knocking TTU's stadium at all, it just doesn't have some of the extra features that these other stadiums have.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Vanderbilt has a good stadium and Murray State is one sided, but seats around 16,000 with elevators and two levels of bathrooms and concession stands. Plus it has the Regional Special Events Center right behind the stadium (uses the same parking lots) that if there was rain, could have possibly been moved into for Stand Stills (atleast we could have heard the music). However I am sure this was all a last minute thing and DCI did the best they could. I am not knocking TTU's stadium at all, it just doesn't have some of the extra features that these other stadiums have.

this is true (the last minute part esp). but...

Hooper Eblen Center is right behind the stadium at Tech (across the parking lot) and holds over 15k ppl.

TTU isn't known for its football anyway. (even tho we did make top 10 Div I-AA two years i was there). The Golden Eaglettes are what people come to see (#8 all time winningest program in Div I NCAA) public funding in TN isn't all that great, so the facilities aren't cutting-edge. mtsu's facilities are better...but they spend more money on "stuff" than education. (probably why they're not ranked in the top Public Southern Universities by the Princeton Review and US News like TTU is...hahaha...had to jab them there...for those who do not know, there's always been a rivalry between TTU and MTSU, i.e. "the blizzard").

and for whoever posted about ticket checkin...if u noticed the dci "staff" (with blue tshirts), those were music majors. not "professionals.") so i guess the plan for dci was "quick and cheap."

I remember in Allentown, i think two years ago, when the sky opened up during Glassmen's show. They literally ran off the field.

Allentown in 93...monsoon opened up on Cavies. they finished like men.

DCA 99 in Allentown...half the show took place in a hurricane. Sunrisers had it worst and finished their show like champs

In don't recall the year, but I do recall the show - it was Madison's with "Stars & Stripes" as a closer. And, the location was St Louis. This was a Prelims/Finals (regional?) show. I only got down there for finals because we were flooded in up in Chicagoland - major roads were flooded everywhere. Busch Stadium has arbsorbed the heat of the day (they were replaying videos from prelims on the Jumbotron, and they also showed the field temperature being very, very hot) - the stadium was a giant, smelly, sauna bath. In finals, only 1 or 2 corps performed, then during Madison's show, the sky opened up. It poured, and poured & there was lightning (fireworks for Stars & Stripes??), and Madison started getting louder & louder & the crowd went nuts. That was fun. Then we waited for what seemed like at least 2 hours. We teased a couple of times, when Star of Indiana's circus wagons made an appearance & it looked like they were going to set up, but it never happened. The crowd wasn't happy, since it wasn't even raining when they announced that the show was cancelled. Then, we got to drive home through flooded highways in St Louis.

I performed that show! It was so cool when Madison played stars and stripes and the lightning struck INSIDE the stadium! And they just kept right on going as though God himself was giving them the fireworks they needed.

Allentown in 93...monsoon opened up on Cavies. they finished like men.

DCA 99 in Allentown...half the show took place in a hurricane. Sunrisers had it worst and finished their show like champs

So are you saying that the Glassmen are wimps? Or are you saying that kids today aren't tough? What is your point?

i'm saying somewhere in the last few years a change was made. it used to be cool to gut it out. Cavies drills arent that much more insance than they were then, and Sun performed in the worst conditions I have EVER seen.

i just wonder why the change

I agree, Vanderbilt has a good stadium

I can tell you why Vanderbilt was not a consideration for DCI.

Vanderbilts Chief of police (yes they have thier own accredited Police department,,, 5th largest in the STATE of TN) has his hands into everything.He gets to say what he is going to charge for security for events at the stadium.Expect to pay $25 bucks a hour for each officer present at special events.$10 bucks of it goes to the officers,,,the rest gets spread between the Chief and the DEAN of admissions and the Alumni board.

And Titans(aka Davidson County taxpayers stadium) stadium????

Forgetta bout it.~!!!!!!! Aint going to happen as long as Bud Adams is around.

If there was no lightning, I don't understand why the show was called. There's nothing about brass, percussion, and colorguard that prevents you from performing in the rain. Quitting in lightning-free rain is for BAND, not CORPS. If your show involves props that could get you killed if they are wet, that's your bad planning and is not anybody else's problem. If your soundboard might kill somebody because it got wet, don't use one if it looks like it might possibly rain at all.

i feel like i should say something here-

for those of you who are saying "back in the day ___ corps was tough and played it out"

dont for one second try to make it sound like those cadets kids out there didnt want to play- the judge-coordinator guy (from boston i think... what's his name?) was over with george and when it started to come down he immediately walked over to in-front of the cadets drum major and gave him a "cut it right now" sign- the DM did no such thing and kept going- he looked over his shoulder to george and waited for him to give the signal- and even after getting the nod he kept going another 10 seconds to finish out the movement- when it stopped and all the kids on the field froze in their tracks (really... how akward would it be to stop in the middle of a show? we did at a practice run-though ONCE, and even that was akward) you could HEAR shouts from the marchers "OH COME ON"... "LETS KEEP GOING"..."LET US FINISH IT"... and dang it... i wanted them to finish it too- you know... make one of those "moments" where we look back and talk about how the cadets went on in the rain even when the judges said to stop- i know the marchers would have wanted it that way too, you could just tell... but the props as they were, and the one guard girl who already slipped on one of those tables... i guess it wasnt safe... i'm not sure if the lack of props would have made a difference in their finishing... i'd say its a maybe-- i think they could have finished without them... but the props were there, and the kids didnt choose that-- the fact of the matter is- they WANTED that moment, but it was taken away- they didint turn and run away, they were forced off the field against their will-- i was there... and paid good money for my 3 shows....