Atlanta Evening Show Review

Hello fellow fanatical Drum Corp Freaks...umm I mean friends. I am new to this site but got really excited before the show here in the ATL after reading all the reviews on here so hopefully I can contribute with my 2 cents worth. Hope you enjoy.

FYI, the last live show I saw was in 03 and the last finals I went to was in 98. My seats for the Southeastern Championships here in Atlanta were in sections 116 on the 45, 10 rows up. Didn't get much of an overall picture for drill formations but did occasionnly catch the jumbo-tron. I was really ready for some great drum corp tonight and boy did I get it.

Their was a slight rain delay ( in a dome no less) apparelnty a busted pipe. Anyway it's almost 4 AM now but I just had to get these thoughts "out there" before I can sleep. Please excuse any wierd grammatical/spelling errors.

Spirit

Overall Impression: Pure fun and joy.

WOW! Great energy. Look really sharp and confident this year. Blew my face off pretty much from the 1st note on. Love the retro rainbow guard flags and was really impressed with the creative arrangement for Ol' man river. Would be much higher score-wise with more difficult drill. Perfect way to start the night off.

Glassmen

Overall impression: Nice. Very Controlled

Nice beginning of the show. Liked the warm up. Some individual horns seemed to stick out occasionally. Loved the Waltz section visually and musically. Lighted the mood a bit.

Blue Knights

Overall Impression: One of my favorites of the night. Great guard.

Most of the BK shows I've seen live were from early-mid nineties. Never really stuck with me but this one I loved. Very dark and moody. Guard really integrated with rest of the Corp. Lots of neat tricks with the horns themselves. Loved all of their flags Almost look like water color prints. Great music ensemble, very balanced. Marching seemed amazingly clean for 10th place. Kept my interest the whole way through.

Boston

Overall Impression: Good and Clean

Great drumline. Not a drummer but they really seemed to rock to me. Nice use of props. Great wow moment when the Cathedrals popped together. Liked their drill. Their silver sashes and guantlets really seem to pop.

Madison

Overall Impression: Little dissapointed

I LOVE Madison, One of my favorite Corps but this just didn't have that Strong driving Madison feel. I actually like the idea but the music didn't seem to have any WOW moments like usual. I'm not a guard expert by any means and I think they have been scoring lower lately but I did like the guard's performance, maybe a bit "Lion Kingy" in parts though. Felt bad for the guy who dropped his saber and had to march an excruciatingly long time without it. I did like most of the staging though, and I really liked how the one guard member entered the field being chased by the bass drummers hunting him in the beginning.

SCV

Overall Impression: Very Cool! Loved it.

One of my favorites of the night. Great concept. Brilliantly excecuted. Seemed really clean. Loved all the cool tricks the cymbals did ( what are those perpetual motion balls called?) anyway, they did THAT and it looked really cool. Pacing went perfectly with theme of the show. Have always loved their marching technique. Very sharp, clean and crisp. Loved how someone or something is always moving throught the entire show i.e. propetual motion. Really made it seem very face-paced and exciting. Brilliant ending when they sort of wind down and the cymbals form the SCV. Would love to see them move into 6th place and think they could.

Carolina Crown

Overall Imoression: Nice Full Sound. Great Musical Selections.

Very balanced and rich. I really liked the purple plums. They utilized them well giving them an actual purpose, also went well with the purple flags. Have always loved thier uniforms. Noticed a baritone player I think who fell during one of the drill moves but seemed to recover relatively quickly. Noticed a guard drop during what should have been a huge hit. Pretty big ohhww moment from the crowd. Gotta hate that. Not sure about the ending though. Seemed kinda anti-climactic?

Cadets

Overall Impression: Fun and creative. Loads of energy

Went in with an open mind but ready to be dissapointed with certain aspects show. Guess I'm lucky they took the vocals outta the begining cuz I really liked it with the new changes...ALOT! I liked last year's show and thought this one was even better. Seems to be a natural fit for them to start and end with the Twilight Zone theme this year anyway. It was very daring and clever. I LOVED all the props and thought they worked well with the 60's vibe they were going for. And yes I even loved the tea party. #### I think I may even have ADORED it. This was my all time favorite drum break/guard solo EVER. Loved all the acrobatics, and the picnic tables were used brilliantly. !st WHOA moment visually of the night. Unfortunately the wonderfully beautiful balled afterwards was completely and totally ruined by the vocals. Why oh why is she singing over the horns? I mean are we being punked? Made me wanna cry for all the wrong reasons. My non-drum corps partner even agreed. He said "Why are they ruining a perfectly good musical moment" ..and the music is usually the last thing he notices. Anyway, I digress. Guess I'll just have to fast forward that part on the DVD. Liked the rest of the show though.

BlueCoats

Overall Impression: Loved the music. Rockin' horn line!

So glad to see them doing so well . Have always loved their musical selection and tonight was no exception. This was the only show my non drum corps partner commented on. Said he really liked their music. Great arrangements all the way around. Always love it when the ballad actually realaxes me and seems to refresh me too. Very entertaing, catchy and all that. Sopranos were smokin, and the drill design was great. Marching was ultra clean. Love how that elastic effect seems to come outta nowhere. Seemed to almost be pushing a little too hard in the very very end though. Horns were a tad rough. Can they hold off Cadet? Not too sure about that.

Phantom Regiment

Overall Impression: Georgous. Will certainly be one of my all time faves

This is pure Phantom all the way. They were on as soon as they entered the field. This hornline was my favorite of the night by far. Just absolutely perfect from start to finish. Can't believe how balanced and controlled they were. Oh yeah and REALLY REALLY freakin loud too!!! Was admiring how dark and rich their sound was when turned to the back field when half the euphoniums came forward and switched BACK to sopranos . Guess I missed the initial switch-off. When does this actually happen and how could they make that moment more effective? Drumline was extremely tight too. Loved the black and white framing in the front end zone. Very modern. Looked like fine art pieces. Color Guard unis were my favorite girl uniforms of the night. Loved the demonic gaurd boys too. Very effective. Very impressed with how clean they looked. Hard to pull off in those white pants. The wedge got a pretty huge crowd response. Loved all the tension in the story/theme of the show throughout. Think I would've liked a darker ending for more emotion though. Maybe this will change come finals??? Maybe this is what needs to happen for them to beat Blue Devils. I certainly think they have it in em! I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Cavaliers

Overall Impresion: WOW! Can't wait to see this show again.

A++ for originality and inventivness. There is sooo much cool s*** going on I really and truly couldn' t catch my breath. This show was sooo not the dryer shows of some of the other great but dry Cavies shows. No I didn't recognize alot of the music but I definantly wanna listen to it on the cd next year. This was the 1st show to make me laugh on purpose with some of the fun they have doing the robot. LOVED the sopranos in the 2nd piece. Great to hear them jazz it up a bit. LOVED the drill move where the one guard member is controlling the entire corps pushing them away. Actually I loved ALL the drill moves. Best drill of the night for me. Best guard by far. Some of the stuff they're doing is INSANE! Favorite guard costumes ever perhaps and best looking guard ever. I personally like it when guard boys look masculine, and I thought these guys looked REALLY, REALLY good in their uniforms. Umm, anyway, great interaction with the guard and hornline. Bottom line. This was my all time favorite Caviliers show ever(Still haven't seen 95 but I'm sure it can't even come close to this for me.) I guess it can get cleaner but can't imagine how it could get any better. Had read somewhere that they were changing their ending not sure if I saw the changes but I thought it was a perefect ending too. This will be one of my favorites of all time surely!!!

Blue Devils

Overall Impression: Powerful but Boring

Okay it seems to me like the hornline has the power but unfortunaly nothing great to do with it. Just no big hits from them like you expect when your watching this amazing hornline. The flags and drill moves like the cross that turns into the dagger works really well with the theme but the music just bored me to be honest. Just really wanna hear BD play some jazz I guess.

Oerall Show Impression: DRUM CORP STILL ROCKS!!

Thanks Stevie222, I was going to write my reveiw but you pretty much said it all.

This was my all time favorite Caviliers show ever(Still haven't seen 95 but I'm sure it can't even come close to this for me.)

definitely should try to see that show....i haven't seen this year's show since early july, so i don't know how it is with all the other changes i've heard about, but 1995 was fantastic.

great review...thanks for the thoughts

kudos to you! good review!

i agree with most of what you said, except that i didn't think blue devils were boring. i think they are the cleanest corps across the board and that is why they are sooo close to cavies at this point. i can see phantom passing bd when they are cleaner and see cadets passing bluecoats. i just couldn't get into the bluecoats for some reason. maybe i need another viewing. i also think crown was amazing! although scv was really really really good too, i dont know that they will pass crown up in madison.

Thanks for the review!!! It was a really fun read, and you had a lot of refreshing enthusiasm.

Harvey

Hello fellow fanatical Drum Corp Freaks...umm I mean friends. I am new to this site but got really excited before the show here in the ATL after reading all the reviews on here so hopefully I can contribute with my 2 cents worth. Hope you enjoy.

FYI, the last live show I saw was in 03 and the last finals I went to was in 98. My seats for the Southeastern Championships here in Atlanta were in sections 116 on the 45, 10 rows up. Didn't get much of an overall picture for drill formations but did occasionnly catch the jumbo-tron. I was really ready for some great drum corp tonight and boy did I get it.

Their was a slight rain delay ( in a dome no less) apparelnty a busted pipe. Anyway it's almost 4 AM now but I just had to get these thoughts "out there" before I can sleep. Please excuse any wierd grammatical/spelling errors.

Spirit

Overall Impression: Pure fun and joy.

WOW! Great energy. Look really sharp and confident this year. Blew my face off pretty much from the 1st note on. Love the retro rainbow guard flags and was really impressed with the creative arrangement for Ol' man river. Would be much higher score-wise with more difficult drill. Perfect way to start the night off.

Glassmen

Overall impression: Nice. Very Controlled

Nice beginning of the show. Liked the warm up. Some individual horns seemed to stick out occasionally. Loved the Waltz section visually and musically. Lighted the mood a bit.

Blue Knights

Overall Impression: One of my favorites of the night. Great guard.

Most of the BK shows I've seen live were from early-mid nineties. Never really stuck with me but this one I loved. Very dark and moody. Guard really integrated with rest of the Corp. Lots of neat tricks with the horns themselves. Loved all of their flags Almost look like water color prints. Great music ensemble, very balanced. Marching seemed amazingly clean for 10th place. Kept my interest the whole way through.

Boston

Overall Impression: Good and Clean

Great drumline. Not a drummer but they really seemed to rock to me. Nice use of props. Great wow moment when the Cathedrals popped together. Liked their drill. Their silver sashes and guantlets really seem to pop.

Madison

Overall Impression: Little dissapointed

I LOVE Madison, One of my favorite Corps but this just didn't have that Strong driving Madison feel. I actually like the idea but the music didn't seem to have any WOW moments like usual. I'm not a guard expert by any means and I think they have been scoring lower lately but I did like the guard's performance, maybe a bit "Lion Kingy" in parts though. Felt bad for the guy who dropped his saber and had to march an excruciatingly long time without it. I did like most of the staging though, and I really liked how the one guard member entered the field being chased by the bass drummers hunting him in the beginning.

SCV

One of my favorites of the night. Great concept. Brilliantly excecuted. Seemed really clean. Loved all the cool tricks the cymbals did ( what are those perpetual motion balls called?) anyway, they did THAT and it looked really cool. Pacing went perfectly with theme of the show. Have always loved their marching technique. Very sharp, clean and crisp. Loved how someone or something is always moving throught the entire show i.e. propetual motion. Really made it seem very face-paced and exciting. Brilliant ending when they sort of wind down and the cymbals form the SCV. Would love to see them move into 6th place and think they could.

Carolina Crown

Overall Imoression: Nice Full Sound. Great Musical Selections.

Very balanced and rich. I really liked the purple plums. They utilized them well giving them an actual purpose, also went well with the purple flags. Have always loved thier uniforms. Noticed a baritone player I think who fell during one of the drill moves but seemed to recover relatively quickly. Noticed a guard drop during what should have been a huge hit. Pretty big ohhww moment from the crowd. Gotta hate that. Not sure about the ending though. Seemed kinda anti-climactic?

Cadets

Overall Impression: Fun and creative. Loads of energy

Went in with an open mind but ready to be dissapointed with certain aspects show. Guess I'm lucky they took the vocals outta the begining cuz I really liked it with the new changes...ALOT! I liked last year's show and thought this one was even better. Seems to be a natural fit for them to start and end with the Twilight Zone theme this year anyway. It was very daring and clever. I LOVED all the props and thought they worked well with the 60's vibe they were going for. And yes I even loved the tea party. #### I think I may even have ADORED it. This was my all time favorite drum break/guard solo EVER. Loved all the acrobatics, and the picnic tables were used brilliantly. !st WHOA moment visually of the night. Unfortunately the wonderfully beautiful balled afterwards was completely and totally ruined by the vocals. Why oh why is she singing over the horns? I mean are we being punked? Made me wanna cry for all the wrong reasons. My non-drum corps partner even agreed. He said "Why are they ruining a perfectly good musical moment" ..and the music is usually the last thing he notices. Anyway, I digress. Guess I'll just have to fast forward that part on the DVD. Liked the rest of the show though.

BlueCoats

Overall Impression: Loved the music. Rockin' horn line!

So glad to see them doing so well . Have always loved their musical selection and tonight was no exception. This was the only show my non drum corps partner commented on. Said he really liked their music. Great arrangements all the way around. Always love it when the ballad actually realaxes me and seems to refresh me too. Very entertaing, catchy and all that. Sopranos were smokin, and the drill design was great. Marching was ultra clean. Love how that elastic effect seems to come outta nowhere. Seemed to almost be pushing a little too hard in the very very end though. Horns were a tad rough. Can they hold off Cadet? Not too sure about that.

Phantom Regiment

Overall Impression: Georgous. Will certainly be one of my all time faves

This is pure Phantom all the way. They were on as soon as they entered the field. This hornline was my favorite of the night by far. Just absolutely perfect from start to finish. Can't believe how balanced and controlled they were. Oh yeah and REALLY REALLY freakin loud too!!! Was admiring how dark and rich their sound was when turned to the back field when half the euphoniums came forward and switched BACK to sopranos . Guess I missed the initial switch-off. When does this actually happen and how could they make that moment more effective? Drumline was extremely tight too. Loved the black and white framing in the front end zone. Very modern. Looked like fine art pieces. Color Guard unis were my favorite girl uniforms of the night. Loved the demonic gaurd boys too. Very effective. Very impressed with how clean they looked. Hard to pull off in those white pants. The wedge got a pretty huge crowd response. Loved all the tension in the story/theme of the show throughout. Think I would've liked a darker ending for more emotion though. Maybe this will change come finals??? Maybe this is what needs to happen for them to beat Blue Devils. I certainly think they have it in em! I LOVE THIS SHOW!

Cavaliers

Overall Impresion: WOW! Can't wait to see this show again.

A++ for originality and inventivness. There is sooo much cool s*** going on I really and truly couldn' t catch my breath. This show was sooo not the dryer shows of some of the other great but dry Cavies shows. No I didn't recognize alot of the music but I definantly wanna listen to it on the cd next year. This was the 1st show to make me laugh on purpose with some of the fun they have doing the robot. LOVED the sopranos in the 2nd piece. Great to hear them jazz it up a bit. LOVED the drill move where the one guard member is controlling the entire corps pushing them away. Actually I loved ALL the drill moves. Best drill of the night for me. Best guard by far. Some of the stuff they're doing is INSANE! Favorite guard costumes ever perhaps and best looking guard ever. I personally like it when guard boys look masculine, and I thought these guys looked REALLY, REALLY good in their uniforms. Umm, anyway, great interaction with the guard and hornline. Bottom line. This was my all time favorite Caviliers show ever(Still haven't seen 95 but I'm sure it can't even come close to this for me.) I guess it can get cleaner but can't imagine how it could get any better. Had read somewhere that they were changing their ending not sure if I saw the changes but I thought it was a perefect ending too. This will be one of my favorites of all time surely!!!

Blue Devils

Overall Impression: Powerful but Boring

Okay it seems to me like the hornline has the power but unfortunaly nothing great to do with it. Just no big hits from them like you expect when your watching this amazing hornline. The flags and drill moves like the cross that turns into the dagger works really well with the theme but the music just bored me to be honest. Just really wanna hear BD play some jazz I guess.

Oerall Show Impression: DRUM CORP STILL ROCKS!!

Great review man, very real, direct and from the heart!

oops, okay apparently I haven't got this quoting thing down yet.

Yeah actually BD was the cleanest, guess I just have fond memories of standing right in front of them, field level in 92 and they totally blew me away. Was wanting to feel that from them again.

Edited by stevie222

SCV

One of my favorites of the night. Great concept. Brilliantly excecuted. Seemed really clean. Loved all the cool tricks the cymbals did ( what are those perpetual motion balls called?) anyway, they did THAT and it looked really cool.

First off, thank you for posting your review.

Secondly, it's called Newton's Cradle , which also happens to be the title of their 2nd movement. :)