Incredibly Long Atlanta Review...

I'm aware of that...but to me, it's always going to be Spirit of Atlanta. I still have trouble not thinking "Garfield Cadets" and they haven't been that since 1989!

Weren't they The Cadets of Bergen county in 1989 or did they not change to that until the 1990 season?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't they The Cadets of Bergen county in 1989 or did they not change to that until the 1990 season?

They were renamed in 1989. Hence, "they haven't been that since 1989." In fact, I believe they mention the name change at the end of the show in 1988, on the broadcast, if I remember correctly. I kinda miss all the banter after the shows...you don't get that on the DVDs. I know the brief documentaries are included, but I wish the banter had been included as well.

Nikk,

Nice review. you said what you truthfully thought, and it was to the point.

Thanks.

"Yes my phone rang and yes I will answer it any dam time I please"

If this were Jeopardy, the above would be the answer to each of the following:

What is rude?

What is arrogant?

What is self-centered?

What is inconsiderate?

One other thing that has been bothering me concerning this show. The similarity between the Bocook "original" piece in the show and the John Williams piece "Jim's New Life" from "Empire of the Sun." If this piece is intended to be inspired by "Jim's New Life," then it should not be called an original, especially when there are so many similarities in structure and even melody between the two works. Am I the only one who has noticed this? I know that in the past the Cadets have performed "Cadillac of the Skies" from the Empire of the Sun soundtrack, so I am sure the designers are familiar with the particular track...

I noticed this as well. It is almost a note-for-note transcription. It's a great piece, but if you are going to do "Jim's New Life," get permission and call it that! As I understand it, John Williams does not grant permission to arrange for his works anymore. If he hears this show, somebody is getting sued!

However, the show was much better in Atlanta than a few weeks ago. It will be interesting to see if they can move up.

Shawn

I noticed this as well. It is almost a note-for-note transcription. It's a great piece, but if you are going to do "Jim's New Life," get permission and call it that! As I understand it, John Williams does not grant permission to arrange for his works anymore. If he hears this show, somebody is getting sued!

However, the show was much better in Atlanta than a few weeks ago. It will be interesting to see if they can move up.

Shawn

Yeah, someone had actually suggested that to me before (emailing John Williams and letting him know). Not exactly what I would do, and I am glad that JW does not have email so that people can't be sending this complaint in...I may not be too fond of some of the Cadets' recent shows, but the last thing I'd want is to get them in trouble like this...copyright infringement is a serious business, as the Cadets well know (Ron Nelson / 1983 show).

They were renamed in 1989. Hence, "they haven't been that since 1989." In fact, I believe they mention the name change at the end of the show in 1988, on the broadcast, if I remember correctly. I kinda miss all the banter after the shows...you don't get that on the DVDs. I know the brief documentaries are included, but I wish the banter had been included as well.

FYI...We were actually the "Cadets of Garfield" in 71 for some reason long lost in history.

I wonder if that is where the "...of Bergen County" originated.