Why can't people just be humble?

Maybe some posters don't realize this George, but when posters say things that cross the line, they hurt their own Corps reputation. The Bluecoats lost some lustre today with a couple of them taking comments out of context and going into an attack mode on the manner in which a Competitive Corps runs their organization internally. Somebody with some class and intelligence from the Bluecoats needs to reign these forner Bluecoats in a little. They are engaging in some classic muckraking of a rival Corps and it's damaging to the Bluecoats organization. But hey, if they want to continue to sully themselves and the Bluecoats with this, they can certainly continue to do so.

so if a former member of your corps says something nasty, are we to lose luster for them too?

just because a person marches somewhere and says something you dont like doesnt mean they are speaking for their corps.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

btw...why did Magic, Crown and Boston leave YEA? I know Sun folded.

as for crown... not the offical word, but being apart of YEA! was hurting the corps, like getting the best staff so on a so forth. And also we were growing and we needed the Yea! to help us get off the ground. But we figured out we were better on our own

I don't think that is entirely accurate. Crown fielded some decent corps under Yea! Maybe someone can dig up the stats on this one.....BTW.....as a Floridian....i hate the name: "Herd of Thunder" I hope it isn't an indictment about your colorguard?!?!?!?

:P

JK....but seriously it sounds too much like Marshall University's Thundering Herd.

Peace!

i often wondered what YEA did for Boston...they left YEA and made finals the next year

Here's a posting from Hop's blog on 7/27/06:

"Well, I am sitting in the press box, watching ensemble. There was a day when I used to do ensemble -- in fact, there were 15 or 20 years of such, but, Tom Aungst became better than I am at cleaning and Gino has the knack. Being that I now spend so much time in admin, it is tough for me to make sure I am prepared each night, that I know the musical interpretations and that -- well, I can indeed do a better job than a bunch of future and current hall of fame members."

George, I have the utmost respect for the YEA! organization and what it stands for. I also have much respect for most of your acomplishments in your 30 plus years in the activity. However the posting on your blog I cite above troubles me, as has your demeanor and attitude over the past few years.

I have had the opportunity to witness about a dozen rehearsals of the Cadets over the past three years, and I would like to strongly suggest that you leave the music/visual/ensemble stuff to those whom you hired to handle it! In short....quit being so darn "hands on" like things won't run well unless your involved!!

The quote in your blog..."I can indeed do a better job than a bunch of future and current hall of fame members..." is truly troubling!!! If you think you are that good, then why have Tom Aungst, Gino and others around?? Furthermore, why is it so tough for you to be prepared each night and know the musical interpretations?? Dude, you're the head of YEA! and should devote your time and energies to making sure that ENTIRE organization runs right, and is firing on all cylinders!! TO INCLUDE MAKING SURE CROSSMEN HAVE AS EQUAL A SHOT AT THINGS AS CADETS!!!

Your 7/27 blog truly proves three things to me:

1). You have the perception is that unless you're involved hands on somehow at every level with the Cadets, things won't run as smoothly as you think they should.

2). You seem to have an inherent lack of trust for Gino Cipriani, Tom Aungst, Jonathan Schwartz and the rest of your staff if you feel you need more time to know the musical interpretations and such.

3). That the Cadets will always get the filet mignon within the YEA! organization, and Bones and others will have to settle for second best!!

I may be opening up a can of worms with this thread, but virtually every other Executive Director of DCI world class corps that are in the top 8 DO NOT conduct themselves in this manner, and they all trust their staff and creative teams to do the job they are paid to do!!!

Great post Vic.Crossmen are the red headed step child of YEA that always gets hand me downs.If they are going to grow they need to get out on their own.They had history,tradition and they need to find that again.

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is from the Marine Corps too. When it gets to that level, what branch of service they're from doesn't mean squat. How well they co-ordinate the overall effort toward a common goal means everything. Right now, I don't see that in YEA! The Cadets are THE flagship for the orginization, and the Crossmen are left to scrape the barnicles off the hull. Couple that with the fact that Hoppy is also, as exec of YEA!, heavily involved with theatre and the bando's....What's he done for the Crossmen lately....Hmmm? When it comes to Drum Corps, the man bleeds maroon and gold. He wouldn't know a Maltese Cross if he tripped over it. I'm not saying that it looks that way from the INSIDE, but it sure looks that way from the OUTSIDE. Maybe he has a (no pun intended) PR problem. :)

You DO know that George played snare with....the Crossmen.

i often wondered what YEA did for Boston...they left YEA and made finals the next year

Maybe the financial arangement with YEA! helped turn them into a finalist-level organization.

Neither of us have any way of knowing the reality, so anythig we write is pure speculation.

Great post Vic.Crossmen are the red headed step child of YEA that always gets hand me downs.If they are going to grow they need to get out on their own.They had history,tradition and they need to find that again.

The Crossmen are a program within YEA! The only way they can go off on their own is if YEA! spins them off...it is not the Crossmen's choice.

OK ok ok ok ok ....... everyone thinks they really know what goes on behind closed doors in the evil empire of YEA! Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (was that long enough?)

Firstly, I've toured with Cadets in recent years. I've been a marching member in the past. I only recall on one occassion GH ever getting up in the box and he never addressed the corps members from that position. As corps director, he still has the final say on changes and whatnot, in regard to the program of the Cadets. No one, other than marching members, knows about the HOP TALKS at 11pm just before lights out. They don't know what he says to the members, how it affects us, nor how it prepares us for life after drum corps (and how to take drum corps with us into the future). No one sees GH sleeping with one eye open on the RV and waking up the second the brakes are hit, yelling on the radio, "WHY ARE WE STOPPING....... THESE KIDS NEED FLOOR TIME........ MOVE!!!!" So please, feel free to read the blogs and pretend like you know the man ... I implore you.

Secondly, Red headed step child???? I love Bones ... never stopped loving Bones.... GH is an alumnus of BONES. Do the math.

Here's some insight: 2 yrs ago GH hands a book of the Crossroads show design layout, in detail, over to the Director of Bones ........ said book get's trashed.... corps doesn't make top 12. hmmmmmm Next year GH doesn't offer up anything ...... corps isn't making finals again. Now I pose this question: Isn't it the job of the head of a company to test his management team? This entire scenario with Bones looks like the man offered the rope and the Director tied his own noose. They have their budget ... Bones director makes the decisions ... the end. What happens next (in my eyes) won't by shocking.

Lastly, This corps "The Cadets" have always had a strange mystique about them. Never understood. Always a raised eyebrow. Something disceptive and vague about who those little robots are and where they came from. Guess what ...... it's not going to change. I remember my first time seeing Cadets when I was 13. I remember being asked by a guard member in the airport after Finals to come out and join the next year. I remember my head spinning and thinking, "are you friggin crazy?" Those are the CADETS!!! I'm glad I grew into the idea 4 yrs later. I'm glad ppl thought that I was beaten all summer long, starved, bled out, pummeled and reprogrammed. HAH!

I swear, you will never get the man...... you'll never get the phylosophy...... you'll never know the ghosts. :wall: :ramd:

Edited by supersop