Why can't people just be humble?

Here's a posting from Hop's blog on 7/27/06:

"Well, I am sitting in the press box, watching ensemble. There was a day when I used to do ensemble -- in fact, there were 15 or 20 years of such, but, Tom Aungst became better than I am at cleaning and Gino has the knack. Being that I now spend so much time in admin, it is tough for me to make sure I am prepared each night, that I know the musical interpretations and that -- well, I can indeed do a better job than a bunch of future and current hall of fame members."

George, I have the utmost respect for the YEA! organization and what it stands for. I also have much respect for most of your acomplishments in your 30 plus years in the activity. However the posting on your blog I cite above troubles me, as has your demeanor and attitude over the past few years.

I have had the opportunity to witness about a dozen rehearsals of the Cadets over the past three years, and I would like to strongly suggest that you leave the music/visual/ensemble stuff to those whom you hired to handle it! In short....quit being so darn "hands on" like things won't run well unless your involved!!

The quote in your blog..."I can indeed do a better job than a bunch of future and current hall of fame members..." is truly troubling!!! If you think you are that good, then why have Tom Aungst, Gino and others around?? Furthermore, why is it so tough for you to be prepared each night and know the musical interpretations?? Dude, you're the head of YEA! and should devote your time and energies to making sure that ENTIRE organization runs right, and is firing on all cylinders!! TO INCLUDE MAKING SURE CROSSMEN HAVE AS EQUAL A SHOT AT THINGS AS CADETS!!!

Your 7/27 blog truly proves three things to me:

1). You have the perception is that unless you're involved hands on somehow at every level with the Cadets, things won't run as smoothly as you think they should.

2). You seem to have an inherent lack of trust for Gino Cipriani, Tom Aungst, Jonathan Schwartz and the rest of your staff if you feel you need more time to know the musical interpretations and such.

3). That the Cadets will always get the filet mignon within the YEA! organization, and Bones and others will have to settle for second best!!

I may be opening up a can of worms with this thread, but virtually every other Executive Director of DCI world class corps that are in the top 8 DO NOT conduct themselves in this manner, and they all trust their staff and creative teams to do the job they are paid to do!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think he meant that he isn't doing it because he isn't sure he would be able to do it as well as those other people because of his admin. duties.

Maybe I am wrong in my translation of his blog, but all of the rehearsals I have witnessed (including one this year) Hop has been on the scaffold or in the box area and at times barking out things that need fixed or things he sees that need improving. <**>

Why isn't he giving that kind of attention to Bones???????

Fro Hop's 7/28 blog:

Well, last year I posted many show ideas on the Cavies forum. The Cavies definately ended up using some of my ideas and so did Santa Clara as I suggested using Newton's Laws as a theme.

This doesn't look like someone being humble. And how does he actually know, or for that matter, how do we know that Cavies used some of his ideas???????

:worthy:

Fro Hop's 7/28 blog:

Well, last year I posted many show ideas on the Cavies forum. The Cavies definately ended up using some of my ideas and so did Santa Clara as I suggested using Newton's Laws as a theme.

This doesn't look like someone being humble. And how does he actually know, or for that matter, how do we know that Cavies used some of his ideas???????

Sounds like Hoppy is an INTERNET TROLL IN DISGUISE!!

He BLOGS!

He POSTS!

He BLOGS ABOUT HIS POSTS!

:feednotroll:

i think he meant that he isn't doing it because he isn't sure he would be able to do it as well as those other people because of his admin. duties.

Yes - if you read the whole sentence, it's clear that he is saying the opposite of what victorcoly asserts that he is saying. The sentence wouldn't make sense the way victorcoly is interpreting it.

Here's the full sentence:

"Being that I now spend so much time in admin, it is tough for me to make sure I am prepared each night, that I know the musical interpretations and that -- well, I can indeed do a better job than a bunch of future and current hall of fame members."

Hop needs to rewrite the last phrase (or the whole sentence). He clearly means to say something like the following:

"Being that I now spend so much time in admin, it is tough for me to make sure that I am prepared each night and that I know the musical interpretations -- but even without those extra duties, I'm not sure I could do a better job than the bunch of future and current hall of fame members that make up the Cadets senior staff."

Fro Hop's 7/28 blog:

Unless I am mistaken, that - like many of his blog posts - was an e-mail he recieved.

Also an excerpt from that same entry:

Anyways, your shows the past 2 years have made me think. And I have been trying to come up with a show that could continue to push in the direction that you are going. So here it is:

Enjoy!

I think the whole point of this thread is a misunderstanding....scratch it!