Colorguard questions

Just wondering when it comes to the different pieces of equipment used in the shows(flags, rifles, and sabers), how is it determined who performs on which piece of equipment? Do they have auditions on each piece to determine who are the best performers?

If I remember right, when I volunteered many years ago, I seem to recall someone telling me the best members on flag at the beginning of the camps were the ones they moved to rifles and sabers later, so I guess they would be considered the most talented members of the guard.

So just wondering how it works in most corps.

Also wondering for those of you that have performed with both rifles and sabres, which piece of equipment do you find more difficult to work with?

The ones with the most skills do tend to be placed on sabre/rifle because they have to be more versatile, since they'll generally be using a variety of equipment...whereas the more inexperienced will generally be placed on flag the entire show. Though nowadays, a lot of groups are giving the entire guard experience on all equipment, so that a rut doesn't start to happen.

And, as for difficulty, all equipment has it's challenges, but, for me...sabre's more difficult...you just have to be a lot more accurate and delicate and aggressive all at the same time, or else you might slice a finger...which is a heck of a lot more painful than on rifle...at least for me.

Well, Singing auditions are held in November,

Featured Actors are selcted closer to January,

And the other cast members are selected from their head shots submitted.

But, if you're the daughter of the Director, you get the lead!

But, if you're the daughter of the Director, you get the lead!

Have you seen her perform yet? What's more, were you at the auditions?

The ones with the most skills do tend to be placed on sabre/rifle because they have to be more versatile, since they'll generally be using a variety of equipment...whereas the more inexperienced will generally be placed on flag the entire show. Though nowadays, a lot of groups are giving the entire guard experience on all equipment, so that a rut doesn't start to happen.

And, as for difficulty, all equipment has it's challenges, but, for me...sabre's more difficult...you just have to be a lot more accurate and delicate and aggressive all at the same time, or else you might slice a finger...which is a heck of a lot more painful than on rifle...at least for me.

I agree, by training all guard members on at least two pieces of equipment, you will be developing future members on rifles as well as sabre. I have been doing this with the high school I work with for 10 years now and I don't regret it at all. I just wished I had started doing it sooner.

Edited by Malibu

Gezz, my POST was a joke based on what color guard performers MAY be required to do in today’s world Drum Corps.......... For those of you who have seen a Corp show prior to 2005, it mighht have been funny.

Lead, Cast members, Singers........

Edited by Cop

Just wondering when it comes to the different pieces of equipment used in the shows(flags, rifles, and sabers), how is it determined who performs on which piece of equipment? Do they have auditions on each piece to determine who are the best performers?

If I remember right, when I volunteered many years ago, I seem to recall someone telling me the best members on flag at the beginning of the camps were the ones they moved to rifles and sabers later, so I guess they would be considered the most talented members of the guard.

So just wondering how it works in most corps.

Also wondering for those of you that have performed with both rifles and sabres, which piece of equipment do you find more difficult to work with?

Basically, if we could spin rifle, they would train us on sabre. It pretty much can translate with the right teaching tools and knowledge. If you don't spin rifle, you could just audition on sabre, and if you can be worked with, then you'd be on the line. And conversely, if you spun okay rifle they would train you to be better, but not necessarily train you on sabre.

I've spun both rifle and sabre, and rifle is MUCH easier to learn and much easier to see in the blinding sun. For sabre you have to have a pretty big understanding of movement since sabre work is more elegant. In 90% of drum corps, your best sabres are your best dancers.