Some thoughts on Regiment's show...

I've been thinking about the soprano-to-baritone switchover during the "Ave Maria" section of their show, and I think I agree with whoever it was that said it gets a little lost in the shuffle. I think Regiment needs to do something to alert the crowd that the switch is happening....but what?

I've been raking through the muck in my brain to think of what they could do...the only things I can come up with:

a. Have the members hold up their sopranos to the crowd in some sort of pose, bend to get the baritones, then hold them up to the crowd in a similar pose.

b. Have the color guard highlight the change somehow...

I think that B would be the better option, but I notice that the color guard is not staged near the sop section at that point in the show, so it might be difficult to pull off at this stage of the game.

Any other ideas? I have a feeling that many in the crowd don't really gather what is going on in that section...

As for "pictures" in the show, I received an email from someone after I made the following comment:

"Now, on to the visual. Honestly, people...what is that you want from this corps??? They are moving quite nicely out there, and their visual design is simply not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In fact, and perhaps this IS the bias coming out in me, but I don't think so...it ISN'T that far away from the Devils' visual design. What exactly is so bad about this design, according to some people? Because Jamey doesn't use geometric shapes out the wazoo? Because there are relatively few "pictures" (I can only think of the "star" in the opener and the "wedge" in Ave Maria)? Is that what troubles people? The lack of "pretty pictures?" Honestly, I can completely understand that mentality...I really can. But pretty pictures isn't the end-all be-all of visual design"

The person corrected me, stating that these are some pictures to be found in the show:

"Pentagram. Communition wafers. Maltese Cross. The morphing Angel / Regiment logo. The Trinity sign (three cross fish) in Ave Maria. The joined rings (marraige symbol) that divide also in AM. Corigliano has these quickly developing pictures. Look for a Chalice when the boys with the black flags are with the girls, that quickly morphs through an evil eye."

I admit, I missed almost all of them except the pentagram/star and the maltese cross. But I still think people diss on their drill because a) it's standard policy to diss on PR's drill after the 1994 season, B) there aren't as many "large" pictures as some other corps, and c) it isn't all that clean.....yet.

I think Regiment's drill is no less difficult or effective than Devils, Coats, or Cadets...while Cavaliers are in a different league for the moment. But I know I am in the minority with that opinion.

I'm sorry, Nikk, but what I have to add isn't constructive or even on topic. I just couldn't get over this:

Communition wafers.

Sounds like they get loaded into a rifle and fired at the congregation from afar.

I agree with what you said about the switch getting "lost in the shuffle." I went to a rehearsal with a friend who forgot about the switch, and consequently missed it. I can understand though: even in a show like Regiment's, there's so much to watch! Do you watch the battery, the horns, or the guard (which has gotten significantly cleaner IMO)? And with guard, do you watch the flags/weapons, or the characters at any given time? The flag work at the end of Ave is so beautiful- but watching the characters is essential to understanding the plot. On the other hand, I completely forgot to watch the pit while I was there! And "Ave" is their spotlight!

Question though: Do all the trumpets switch? I only counted about 15 coming up to the FSL while watching the show. If not all of them switch, that could explain some of the confusion. I also could have sworn I saw a member carrying a flugelhorn onto the field during the runthrough, which I never saw used.

Regardless of what the Regiment does with it, I still think it sounds amazing, and I'm not sure it's hurting scores either, because the judges should already know about the switch, right? I do know the fans are just fine with it: check out the ballads poll and Phantom is in the lead with 24%. That doesn't sound like a lot until you consider that whoever's in second only has like 12% of the votes.

Definitely agree with the horn switchover getting lost. If I wasn't sitting in the second row and the baritones weren't jutting out from behind the barriers, I would have missed it too. I think they need to ditch the sideline barriers. That would solve everything.

I've been thinking about the soprano-to-baritone switchover during the "Ave Maria" section of their show, and I think I agree with whoever it was that said it gets a little lost in the shuffle. I think Regiment needs to do something to alert the crowd that the switch is happening....but what?

Maybe a "horn exchange" where the horns and guard line up about 10 yards apart. Then the horns toss the sopranos to the color guard, while the guard simultaneously tosses the baritones to the hornline. They could do it in a ripple.

Maybe a "horn exchange" where the horns and guard line up about 10 yards apart. Then the horns toss the sopranos to the color guard, while the guard simultaneously tosses the baritones to the hornline. They could do it in a ripple.

Can get Tim Gray to come in and show them how to chuck a horn for distance

Regiment marched, and correct me if I'm wrong, only 16 trumpets anyway. And off topic, but they were asking the better lead players to move to mello; could explain why the "weak link" is the trumpets this year. But I thought the switch was pretty obvious (unless they changed how it's done). It was hard for me to miss a line of players waving down the line and emerging with larger horns. But on the recording, I could never tell where it was. The tone of the mellos at points made me second guess where the trumpets drop out; that tone is very unique at some points. But after seeing it live, I hear it everytime. I can't wait to see the show again. I guess I didn't have a problem with noticing the switch when I saw it in Rockford. I also think it's nice that it isn't something too drastic that screams "HEY WE ARE NO LONGER PLAYING OUR ORIGINAL HORNS!" All of a sudden, the tone of the hornline is just different and lush. I think doing something too drastic would ruin the subtle change that occurs.

Edited by PhantomFanT10

I think the drill is very effective and I think the judges are rewarding that. I do think they need to clean performance near the end of the show. I think the judges are telling them that in the visual performance scores. While not the flashy effect of the Cavaliers (which is perhaps more entertaining and very effective) I do think the effect is very strong and is being rewarded for that. The visual design is there, hopefully the performance can get there.

Why not add another banner pulled by just 2 guard which will serve as a curtain (ala '91) to introduce the new instrumentation. Essentially nothing else is going on there, so make big pose showing the trumpets, then the banner (preferably something white and flowing since it is AM), then boom, once the banner has passed, the trumpets return to their pose, but now they're holding baritones. Actually, it would be pretty safe since the trumpets would actually be crouching behind the screens, so very little chance of a decapitation.