The good old days

Show this to a current marching member you know.

http://www.corpsreps.com/recaps/rules7475.txt

The good old days!

^0^

You should show the old VFW sheets...1 GE judge with30 points for overall preformance, and NO difficulty captions, at least you only had to be judged by them once a year,but it was for a national championship,really changed the results from how you did all the rest of the year useing the american legion sheets!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should show the old VFW sheets...1 GE judge with30 points for overall preformance, and NO difficulty captions, at least you only had to be judged by them once a year,but it was for a national championship,really changed the results from how you did all the rest of the year useing the american legion sheets!!!

As of 71...

VFW sheets had a 10 point GE caption...one judge.

Execution sheets did include a difficulty sub-caption. In 71 the drum sheets had, I think, 17 points for tics and a 3 point difficulty buildup subcaption. That concept varied through the 70's as the separate Analysis captions came into being.

What was the last year that "Czar" Tony (Forget the last name) ran the VFW Champs? From what I've read VFW sheets were set that way because "He said so!".

OK I see 10 points for inspection - that answered one question

Next question is why did VFW quit having Senior competition after 1962 (before DCA even started). :blink:

4. CONTEST SITE: The contest field shall be in the shape of a football

field 160 feet wide by 300 feet long, with the outside lines and the 50 yard line

marked, with visual markers at each corner and at each end of the 50 yard

line.

LOL, forgot about mid-field stripe only. Anyone else remember the first time a show was run on a field with all the yard lines? That's when you found out that symetrical drill wasn't that symetrical at all (by up to 5 yards off at the ends). :blink:

What was the last year that "Czar" Tony (Forget the last name) ran the VFW Champs? From what I've read VFW sheets were set that way because "He said so!".

Tony Schlecta. The guy would would strongly "'suggest" who should win the VFW championship in a given year.

Fran

I was at Nightbeat in Charlotte NC...........I know that I've been out of the activity for awhile.........however I do not remember the "Duts" from the drumline.....? :worthy:

well...you gotta listen carefully sometimes... unless it's Cadets :P ... for the duts. Usually the snare line will dut on the beat to keep it all in time. For a while there, duts became a real distraction...ruining the piece being played by some over-zealous dutters. Just my opinion, byut having been a snare drummer I guess I can speak up. In "The good old days" we didn't dut... and you can actually hear the bass drum beat out a four count on the '78 recording of the Guardsmen in the reprise and company front at the end of our show. Other ways to do it back then was to give a cowbell or a tambourine to someone...

Another funny aspect of "dutting" now days is that apparently there is a precise way to do that...in the way you make the sound and how you make your mouth kind of tighten up and do a very stacatto "dut...dut...dut" ... it seems you must use your mouth JUST so ...or you are screwing up your duts... b**bs

Tony Schlecta. The guy would would strongly "'suggest" who should win the VFW championship in a given year.

Fran

You forgot the "hic" between his first and last names. :P

He tried to get us kicked out of VFW's in 70 because we had the nerve to make a Peace Sign on the field...to "White Rabbit".

:blink:

What do you mean ?

~G~

Banter maybe? :lol:

You forgot the "hic" between his first and last names. :P

He tried to get us kicked out of VFW's in 70 because we had the nerve to make a Peace Sign on the field...to "White Rabbit".

I remember hearing a story,i think happened in the early 60's,,,audabon bon bons,were by far the best corps there, but they won't give the championship to an all girl corps....vfw sucked ###