The good old days

I remember hearing a story,i think happened in the early 60's,,,audabon bon bons,were by far the best corps there, but they won't give the championship to an all girl corps....vfw sucked ###

wow... jeez! Anyone know if that story can be confirmed true? That's pretty bad... an all male corps could win, but if an all female corps was kickin' everyones butts they COULDN'T win the championship? Very dissappointing to find that out even years later if that kind of discrimination occured ever in drum corps... but I know we're talking about the '60's here.

And I wonder what the Ladies Auxilary VFW president might have to say about something like that in today's world...

Edited by GGarrett

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow... jeez! Anyone know if that story can be confirmed true? That's pretty bad... an all male corps could win, but if an all female corps was kickin' everyones butts they COULDN'T win the championship? Very dissappointing to find that out even years later if that kind of discrimination occured ever in drum corps... but I know we're talking about the '60's here.

And I wonder what the Ladies Auxilary VFW president might have to say about something like that in today's world...

I believe it was in the 50's when that is supposed to have happened. The Bon bons were a great corps through the 50's and well into the 60's.

I believe it was in the 50's when that is supposed to have happened. The Bon bons were a great corps through the 50's and well into the 60's.

50's is probably right. I remember the story was told to me by our equipment driver in the mid 60's

Isn't there a legend connected to the Bon Bons about how they marched off of the field in perfect tempo without a disernable beat being played while Blessed Sac was on the field and that the crowd gave the Bon Bons a stand ovation for it - all while Blessed Sac was on the field?

I'll ask my ancient drum corps buds.

50's is probably right. I remember the story was told to me by our equipment driver in the mid 60's

I think it was the AL Champs held in the Convention Center in Atlantic City, Sept 1957, according to corpsreps.

Holy Name won with a 91.3, their last title as Holy Name.

Audubon was 2nd with a 90.95.

Other ways to do it back then was to give a cowbell or a tambourine to someone...

"I need more cowbell." :worthy:

• 1 month later...
...He tried to get us kicked out of VFW's in 70 because we had the nerve to make a Peace Sign on the field...to "White Rabbit".

When you look at the times and consider the VFW is a veterans organisation, the words "red rag" and "bull" come to mind.

When you look at the times and consider the VFW is a veterans organisation, the words "red rag" and "bull" come to mind.

What is funny is that at finals when we turned and hit the stands in the Peace sign the crowd...loaded with vets... was on their feet...and one of my greatest corps memories is the flashes of cameras at just that point in the show.

But I am sure as you say that to some of the old timers of the day it was like waving a red rag in front of a bull. :)

I understand that one reason our staff decided to do the Revolutionary War show the next year (71)...complete with Peace Sign color pre to "Battle Hymn"...was a sort of thumbing of our collective noses are those folks..."they want patriotic...we'll give them a show that is ALL patriotic....but still do a Peace Sign". :)

That is still an amazing show...I have it on DVD from WO finals.

VFW, Amercian Legion, CYO. How are they any different than the politics played now and for the past however many years by DCI

"Political Un Correctness":

One of the "Legends" of the VFW era was the Contest Chairman, Tony Schlecta, would let it be known to the judges at the National Championship, of his "Wishes" as to which corps he wanted as that years VFW titleist.

Like I said, it was (And still is) a "Legend".

Elphaba