It's that time again...

-I want to see a corps play PDQ Bach, just as a light alternative. A lot of corps have been going with darker shows lately....lets have some fun.

As big a fan as I am of JS Bach's last and least son, and of the good work being done by Professor Peter Schikele of the USND at H to bring to light the misunderstood works of this neglected composer, I don't think much, if any, of it would work on the field. They don't especially scream "drum corps," which would mean altering them a great deal to make them fit the idiom -- that'd also mean ruining them, IMO. Maybe "1712 Overture," but I think you'd get more confusion than laughs. Certainly something like "Oedipus Tex" or the "Missa Hilarious" just wouldn't work, at least not in the way you want. Without the lyrics, what are they?

Anyone ever play Feste Romane aka Roman Festivals by Respighi? It's easily the most ignored piece of the trio.

Apart from Star? I think they left behind a bit of an intimidating legacy.

Edited by MikeBob

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopkins and Cadets Staff were actually thinking of Whitacre's "Godzilla Eats Las Vegas" in 2004 for their 2005 show, so I hear from a few people I know that were in the Cadets at that time. They obviously opted out of it....somehow it was too weird? No, seriously, I think it would be a fun show, but I think the Cadets are going to go Title Style and perform something they know will win the championships. This show could have the potential, but Hop probably won't do it...suggest it on the blog and see what he says...

Not only that, wouldn't this rep lend itself to heavy vocals? The original piece has a ton of narration.

Nearly any Gorecki would be crazy on the field. I know Esperanza did some Gorecki a few years ago, and checking Corpsreps.com I see that the only other corps to do likewise was... Academie Musicale. In '97. Those crazy Quebecois.

Heh, every year this topic comes up, and every year I keep suggesting some Gorecki. If Symphony of Sorrowful Songs is what I think it is, the Symphony No. 3, then no, a thousand times no, it should never be on the field. It would lose too much of its wieght. But what would work would be some Kleines Requiem, either String Quartet (especially second and fourth movements of Quasi una Fantasia), the Harpsichord Concerto, and just about any choral work. This would be an intense show, and I'd loved to have seen turn of the century Vanguard put it on the field. If Blue Knights keep improving their performance level every year, I'd love to see them tackle Gorecki as well.

I'd love to see the Blue Devils play Don Ellis's "Future Feature". Man, that would be wild and fun, and a soloist's dream.

There's a lot of good Don Ellis that hasn't yet been played. Eros, Arcturus, How's This for Openers, Tears of Joy, Antea, Rock Odyssey... my personal favorite would be to see a corps that dares to take on 33 222 1 222. ^0^

Edited by Maedhros

Heh, every year this topic comes up, and every year I keep suggesting some Gorecki. If Symphony of Sorrowful Songs is what I think it is, the Symphony No. 3, then no, a thousand times no, it should never be on the field. It would lose too much of its wieght. But what would work would be some Kleines Requiem, either String Quartet (especially second and fourth movements of Quasi una Fantasia), the Harpsichord Concerto, and just about any choral work. This would be an intense show, and I'd loved to have seen turn of the century Vanguard put it on the field. If Blue Knights keep improving their performance level every year, I'd love to see them tackle Gorecki as well.

I could totally see either BK or SCV taking on Gorecki (especially BK, after this year). 'Speranza did the Harpsichord Concerto in '03, and Academie Musicale did one or two movements from "Quasi Una Fantasia" in '97.

There's a lot of good Don Ellis that hasn't yet been played. Eros, Arcturus, How's This for Openers, Tears of Joy, Antea, Rock Odyssey... my personal favorite would be to see a corps that dares to take on 33 222 1 222. ^0^

I want someone to do "How's This For Openers" as their closer.

I could totally see either BK or SCV taking on Gorecki (especially BK, after this year). 'Speranza did the Harpsichord Concerto in '03, and Academie Musicale did one or two movements from "Quasi Una Fantasia" in '97.

I've got the DVD of Esperanza from '03, I think they did a pretty good job with it. I also have Academie Musicale off of the 1997 CDs. I like that as well, now I just want to see someone combine it all into an all-Gorecki show. I'd also love it if a Div I finalist could take it on, Gorecki can be tough to sell and might require the best possible performance level.

I want someone to do "How's This For Openers" as their closer.

:blink:

Tangent: a few years ago, a high school in San Diego I was writing drill for played a tune called -- I kid you not -- "Latin Closer." Thank you, Hal Leonard. I suggested we do it as the opener, but the director didn't bite.

Not only that, wouldn't this rep lend itself to heavy vocals? The original piece has a ton of narration.

Not really. There are various versions/orchestrations out there...most popular I think is the U of Nevada, which has, if I recall correctly, limited vocals except for screams of "OH NO..." or "GODZILLA." Also, the music is very "movie-like," so it creates the emotion and feeling for you. It is a beautiful piece, but A.) I do not know if it should be done on the field. I saw 2 high school bands perform it...its performable... B) Do the Cadets want this on their list of "great shows"? I mean come on..this is no where like '93 or heck even '05-06...since many people complained that this year's show was "too theatrical" then "Godzilla Eats Las Vegas" would probably be so overbearing for those people they would never watch a show the Cadets were in.

Hoppy probably will not pick this one...unfortunately, though I feel it would be an interesting show, especially because I know the Cadets would make it wonderful, but honestly...it isn't Championship quality....IMO

The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

Music of Tchaikovsky, Berlioz, and Prokofiev. A show incorporating selections from all three composers' versions of the Romeo and Juliet story. In the case of Tchaikovsky, also using the 1869 as well as the 1880 version.

Corps that could do it: Regiment, SCV, Crown, BAC, Seattle, SW, Colts.

The Heart of Darkness

Music of Bartok, Prokofiev, Tubin. A show incorporating selections from "Miraculous Mandarin" by Bartok, "Love for Three Oranges" by Prokofiev, and the Symphony No. 2 by Eduard Tubin.

Corps that could do it: Regiment, SCV, Crown, BK.

The Jungle Book

Music of Charles Koechlin. Corps that could do it: Crown, Glassmen, SCV, Bluecoats.

Moby D I C K <---- This is filter circumvention, but for crying out loud! This is why the filters are dumb. When you can't use a word that has more meanings than just a profanity, then there is a problem.

Music of Peter Mennin. Corps that could do it: Crown, SCV, BK, SW, Cascades.

And PS. Welcome to Donnie Van Doren, who was reading the topic earlier on. :)

Edited by The Tsar