It's that time again...

PROKOFIEV!

More Prokofiev music please? "Suite from Love for Three Oranges," or Symphony No. 6, or "Lt. Kije." All would be good. Corps: Regiment, SCV.

Here's my Alexander Nevsky idea from another forum.

To add a little Lieutnant Kije in there would be good though, so the melodies don't get overused. Kije's Wedding/Troika Song would make a good middle movement, or maybe a B section of the closer, you know?

Edited by Wild Nights

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, but according to Season Pass, no one's ever done an ENTIRE show of it. Good catch though; I'll do my homework next time. :)

Between '86 and '87, they did most of what you suggested, but yeah... I'd like to see what they'd do with it these days. Of course, judging from their placement last year, maybe "looking back" isn't the best thing for them. Don't get me wrong, I loved that show and had a friend or two in the hornline, but their "new" stuff is great and competitive.

Symphony No. 8 by Antonin Dvorak (Mvmts 1,2,4)

How do you envision this show starting...I'm trying to hear the very beginning of the symphony done by the hornline, and it just isn't working for me

Sinfonia Antartica by Ralph Vaughan Williams

I envision this starting with the xylo runs just before the first entrance of the women singers...the runs make me think of ice breaking off into smaller and smaller fragments...creating that visually would be interesting

PROKOFIEV!

More Prokofiev music please? "Suite from Love for Three Oranges," or Symphony No. 6, or "Lt. Kije." All would be good. Corps: Regiment, SCV.

No Romeo and Juliet?

Umm...Here would be a short, and very random, list from me:

Prokofiev: Fugitive Visions. Something interesting, and a little abstract.

Eric Whitacre: Cloudburst.

(Corny as it may sound) - John Williams: Harry Potter Suite. (I can hear the "Harry Potter Theme" via Celeste orchestrated beautifully in the Front Ensemble.

Louis Andriessen: De Tijd. Minimalism at it's finest, this could be a multi layered approach with another composition overlaying it.

Leos Janacek: Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, mvt. 2

John Barnes Chance: Elegy

and to mix things up:

Bela Fleck: Stomping Grounds

Stevie Wonder: Sir Duke

Who could play them? Who cares? Draw 'em out of a hat

I'd LOVE to see Regiment play Sir Duke!

How do you envision this show starting...I'm trying to hear the very beginning of the symphony done by the hornline, and it just isn't working for me

I can completely see it (starting with the first movement).

As for Romeo and Juliet...it's always a given with me.

Chris, I think you meant Henryk Gorecki, if it's the tune I am thinking of. The one with the soprano singer?

You are exactly right! *blushes*

Another one I have is ALL of Borodin's Second Symphony in B Minor. I know Glassmen did parts of it, interwoven with Polovetsian Dances and such, but I'd like to see all of it. And there would be nothing wrong with some Steppes of Central Asia for the ballad or something, I just want to hear distinct and seperate movements of the symphony.

Same with DSCH's Seventh. Phantom did a very good job with it in 2002 IMO, but I love love love the third movement and the first movement, too. How cool would that be:

2007 Phantom Regiment presents:

LENINGRAD

I. Allegretto (the Invasion theme)

II. Adagio (actually the third mvt)

III. Allegro non troppo (from Heroic Sketches)

For the big push at the end, quotes from the Fifth and Fire of Eternal glory would be used, as well as major renditions of the Invasion theme. I really liked the use of the DSCH motif from the original 2002 arrangement of the finale, and that quote would be good too, coupled with the solid minute and a half loud chord progressions that finish a show strong...heh heh...

That would be one SWEET show. :lol:

Nearly any Gorecki would be crazy on the field. I know Esperanza did some Gorecki a few years ago, and checking Corpsreps.com I see that the only other corps to do likewise was... Academie Musicale. In '97. Those crazy Quebecois.

Reed-ux

Russian Christmas Music

Celebration Fanfare for Winds

Alleluia! Laudamus Te

Corps: SCV, Phamtom, BAC, BK

Sea You on the 50

Captain from Castille

Ballad of Mad Jack (Schooner Fare, IM for a clip)

Conquest

Corps: Madison, period

I'll have more later