It's that time again...

Yes, it is time once again for "Repertoire Suggestions" with your host, The Tsar.

On this episode, we have -what else?- more suggestions for corps repertoire! Will any of them be undertaken? Probably not. But I do recall suggesting a Hitchcock show back in 1999, before BD did theirs...I especially like the idea of doing "The Birds." Which would be all silent drill or screeching. :P

Show Ideas

Sinfonietta by Leos Janacek (Mvmt 1,2,3,5)

Corps that could do it: Phantom, Glassmen, SCV, Crown, BK, BAC, SW. Very cool music, lots of MELODY and THEMES, and a lot of notes. Sounds a lot like some Dvorak stuff. Super intense inner movements could work well on the field.

Symphony No. 8 by Antonin Dvorak (Mvmts 1,2,4)

Corps that could do it: Phantom, Glassmen, SCV, Crown, BAC, BK. Some say it is a better symphony than the New World Symphony. While I disagree, it is still a great piece of music with lots of melody! ;-)

Sinfonia Antartica by Ralph Vaughan Williams

Corps that could do it: Phantom. Sorry, I have wanted this to be a Regiment vehicle for a long time. The opening motif has had drill written out for it in my head for 5 years now. Some very cool music in there, if you know where to look.

Phantom AT the Opera by Various

La Donna Mobile, Nessun Dorma, Anvil Chorus, E Lucevan Le Stelle.

I've been wanting Regiment to do a second opera show since we did the last one in 1991. These 4 tunes have a lot of potential. However, I could see Crown or SCV doing this as well.

Dances of Malcolm Arnold (English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish)

Corps that could do it: Cavaliers. On the 15th anniversary of their first DCI title, they should play the easily accesible music of the English master. I could also see Pioneer doing this, as well as SW, BK, or BAC.

Symphonie Fantastique by Hector Berlioz

Corps that could do it: Phantom, Glassmen, SCV. It is time to hear this masterwork again

Louis Prima in Primetime (music by Louis Prima...duh)

Including "That Old Black Magic," "Bouna Sera," "Oh Marie," "I'm in the Mood for Love."

Corps that could do it: Crossmen, Madison, Bluecoats, Blue Devils.

Enigma Variations by Elgar

Corps that could do it: SCV, Phantom, Cavaliers, Crown

Thalaba the Destroyer by Bantock

Interesting and seldom-heard music by a late Romantic British composer. Corps that could do it: Regiment, SCV, Crown.

PROKOFIEV!

More Prokofiev music please? "Suite from Love for Three Oranges," or Symphony No. 6, or "Lt. Kije." All would be good. Corps: Regiment, SCV.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a show idea for madison scouts that would win back all their lost fans.....MAMBO KINGS!!! This show has madison written all over and would be perfect for them, but sadly next year will most likely be some kind of show named madisonic super forces or something along those lines.

the actual opera Pagliacci...

Split the show in half (i.e. two acts)

With the addition of amplification, drop half of the pit and add trained vocal characters...

Canio, head of the troupe. Pagliaccio in the play. (tenor)

Nedda, Canio's wife. Colombina in the play. (soprano)

Tonio, the fool. Taddeo in the play. (baritone)

Beppe, actor. Arlecchino in the play. (tenor)

Silvio, a villager. (baritone)

The first half of the season the operatic voices would be unamplified (because of small venues and opera style singing you could still hear them)... in the second half of the season they would wear britney spearsish clear headsets (the ones you can't see well that are good quality).

Not only would it be classy, operatic, full of INCREDIBLE music, but it would be the classiest way to make the transition into bando amplified literature.

Just look at the incredible arias from that opera.

Prologue ("Si può? Signore! Signori!") (Tonio)

"Un tal gioco" (Canio)

"Stridono lassu" (Nedda)

"Nedda! Silvio, a Quest'ora" (Silvio, Nedda)

"Vesti la giubba" (Canio)

"Ohe! Ohe! Presto!" (Chorus)

"O Colombina" (Beppe)

"No, Pagliaccio Non Son" (Canio)

I know it sounds extreme, but regiment has really taken this story potrayal over the top. Why not take it a step further and actually act out the opera on the field?

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

if vanguard did phantom of the opera agian, i would cry, tears of joy of course!!!!!!!

"In A Metal Mood," Pat Boone's concept album of heavy metal tunes in a big band/swing idiom. "Enter Sandman," "Crazy Train," "Paradise City," "Stairway To Heaven"... all great stuff.

Corps who could do it: I used to think of this for Madison. Then I thought of it for Bluecoats (probably because I still have remnants of their '92 show stuck in my head). These days, though... Crossmen. Or Blue Devils, I guess, but it feels like it'd be a bit of a departure from their currents trends.

Glass, Concerto for Saxophone Quartet (sans saxes). I know one or two corps have done one or two movements of this, but I'd love to hear the whole thing put on the field, starting with the awesome waves of chords that open the first movement. Very melodic and even jazzy at times.

Corps who could do it: I tend to think of Vanguard for this, but I could also see, say, Southwind or Glassmen doing it. Or Crown. Ooh... Crown. Yes. Or Spirit. Blue Knights. Possibly Phantom? The list goes on.

Radiohead. No more need be said.

Corps who could do it: There are so many possible interesting takes on this that nearly anyone could do it. SCV? Bluecoats? East Coast Jazz? Blue Knights? Crown? Seriously.

Reich, Music for 18 Musicians. This sounds like the perfect music for a minimalist show... for the the first few minutes. Then you start to realize how difficult it'd actually be to translate to the field. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see someone try.

Someone like... the Cavaliers. I'd love to see their visual take on Reich's shifting rhythms and motifs.

Brian Wilson, "Smile." The former Beach Boy's bizarre, decades-in-the-making CD is as surreal as it is enjoyable (and it's pretty #### enjoyable). You could pick and choose tunes from this, but the smart corps would retain its languid transitions from one song to another to capture the "spirit" of the album. Closer: "Good Vibrations." Yeah, I said it. Who has the guts to put "Good Vibrations" on the field these days?

Corps who could do it: Bluecoats, Crossmen, Blue Knights... others.

Adams, "Nixon In China." Not some of this and some of that, but a full-on "Nixon In China" show. Open with "Spirit of '76" and take it from there. I especially want to hear "News Has a Kind of Mystery." This is more accessible than people might imagine.

Corps who could do it: SCV is first to come to mind, but Phantom's played Adams before, so... maybe that.

We had a thread a couple of weeks ago about this. Where's it gone?

I'm not sure what to name the show, but I'd love to see Phantom, SCV, or BK do Sessions's The Black Maskers. It's incidental music from a Russian play in which the human spirit (personified by Duke Lorenzo) comes under attack from sinister, powerful forces from the unknown. There are 4 movements to the piece with plenty of great stuff from which to draw.

I'd also like to hear some other individual pieces put into shows, including:

Tabuh-Tabuhan by McPhee

Be Thou My Vision by Rutter

Prayer of St. Gregory by Hovhaness (yeah, I always bring this one up. It would take a gifted arranger, but I still think it could work. There are good recordings of this by trumpet players who play it straightforward and others who play it rubato.)

Scenes of Childhood for two harps by Thomas

And anything from Trillian Green...just about.

Enigma Variations by Elgar

Corps that could do it: SCV, Phantom, Cavaliers, Crown

Here's a yes to Enigma variations.

W.M.B., Troyte, Nimrod, and the last 2 minutes of the Finale (E.D.U.) for the closer. And I really see this as an SCV or Glassmen show for some reason.

Here's some more:

Symphony No. 3 for Band by James Barnes

I would kill to hear Phantom play the third movement to this. If they did, I think I would cry.

Pictures at an Exhibition by Modeste Moussorgsky

This, like Scheherazade, is so visual in scope I think it would make an amazing show.

The Dark Version: Catacombs/Con Mortuis in Linga Mortua, Gnomus, Bydlo, Baba Yaga, Great Gate of Kiev!!!

Corps that could do it: Only Phantom. I would die. The dark opener, beautiful ballad, intense closer, and then it all explodes into Great Gate for the finale. Think 1996 or 2003...

The Light Version: Promenade/Great Gate, Tuilieres, Old Castle, Baba Yaga, Great Gate

Corps that could do it: SCV, Crown, G-Men

Arturo Sandoval/Maynard Ferguson

Maynard Ferguson (by Arturo Sandoval), I Remember Clifford, Night In Tunisia (from For Love or Country), Gonna Fly Now (from Rocky)

This would be an awesome show. Hot jazz, definitely one for the boys in Madison. WOOOIE!!

Beauty and the Beast

The music to the Broadway show is incredible. You could not stuff all the good music in 11.5 minutes, but you could try. The issue, of course, is obtaining the copyright. Augh!

Belle/Wolf Chase, Be Our Guest, How Long Must This Go On/If I Can't Love Her, Mob Song/Fight on the Tower, Home tag/Transformation/Finale

Corps that could do it: I would want to see SCV pull this off. Add this to their long list which includes Fiddler on the Roof, Miss Saigon, Phantom of the Opera, etc etc.

Edited by Wild Nights

Pictures at an Exhibition by Modeste Moussorgsky

This, like Scheherazade, is so visual in scope I think it would make an amazing show.

The Dark Version: Catacombs/Con Mortuis in Linga Mortua, Gnomus, Bydlo, Baba Yaga, Great Gate of Kiev!!!

Corps that could do it: Only Phantom. I would die. The dark opener, beautiful ballad, intense closer, and then it all explodes into Great Gate for the finale. Think 1996 or 2003...

The Light Version: Promenade/Great Gate, Tuilieres, Old Castle, Baba Yaga, Great Gate

Corps that could do it: SCV, Crown, G-Men

Corps that have done it: SCV.

(Not that they couldn't do it again. I'm just sayin'. One of their most famous shows. Gail Royer's favorite, IIRC.)

if vanguard did phantom of the opera agian, i would cry, tears of joy of course!!!!!!!

1988 SCV 96.900 Phantom of The Opera

1989 SCV 98.800 Phantom of The Opera

drumspiritTerrance :lol::music:

Corps that have done it: SCV.

(Not that they couldn't do it again. I'm just sayin'. One of their most famous shows. Gail Royer's favorite, IIRC.)

Ah, but according to Season Pass, no one's ever done an ENTIRE show of it. Good catch though; I'll do my homework next time. :)