Observation of 2 shows

First let me state that I have not seen either show and only viewed from Youtube and secondly this is not any trolling going on.

I finally got to take the time to see both the Cavaliers and Cadets shows. I have to say that I will be in the minority from what I have read on DCP but I prefer to see the Cadets show versus the Cavaliers. I felt there was more depth and also more creativity and innovation. NO I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE AMPLIFICATION, ETC as that was not a favorite of mine but the other visual aspects as well as the music. I thought the opener was really cool and had some really good stuff going on.

Now for the Cavaliers. I did not find anything innovative or anything different than what is typically done from their camp. I was pretty annoyed by all of the horns up and down as well as the boxes. Also why do you have to face the direction you are going for the majority of the moves. I do enjoy their percussion approach but not real impressed with the brass technique but as this whole post is nothing but my personal opinion. I would just like to see something different from the Cavaliers.

I guess in summation I felt the Cavaliers show was quite simple where Cadets had more depth and difficulty to the product.

I will be interested to hear observations that are counter to mine and hope it stays as a constructive conversation versus what typically happens.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First let me state that I have not seen either show and only viewed from Youtube and secondly this is not any trolling going on.

I finally got to take the time to see both the Cavaliers and Cadets shows. I have to say that I will be in the minority from what I have read on DCP but I prefer to see the Cadets show versus the Cavaliers. I felt there was more depth and also more creativity and innovation. NO I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE AMPLIFICATION, ETC as that was not a favorite of mine but the other visual aspects as well as the music. I thought the opener was really cool and had some really good stuff going on.

Now for the Cavaliers. I did not find anything innovative or anything different than what is typically done from their camp. I was pretty annoyed by all of the horns up and down as well as the boxes. Also why do you have to face the direction you are going for the majority of the moves. I do enjoy their percussion approach but not real impressed with the brass technique but as this whole post is nothing but my personal opinion. I would just like to see something different from the Cavaliers.

I guess in summation I felt the Cavaliers show was quite simple where Cadets had more depth and difficulty to the product.

I will be interested to hear observations that are counter to mine and hope it stays as a constructive conversation versus what typically happens.

The Cavaliers aren't innovative...they don't have pink benches.

I disagree with the Cavaliers being simple, that doesn't make sense.

Though I'm glad you enjoy the Cadets, you're a good person to stay with the sinking ship.

1992 was a long time ago, pal.

Edited by siuehist

This is an interesting opinion. I actually enjoyed both shows in Atlanta, but enjoyed Cavies much more and their show was far from simple.

Will you have a chance to see these shows live? You will get a much better read on both of these shows live versus youtube....obviously.

Sadly I will not get to be any closer than the Cinema in Louisville and was really why I was asking for some other non bias perspectives. I also did not see the shows from a high camera which does not lend itself to some things that are going on. I guess I should have stated that my observation would come more from a field performance perspective versus a high box standpoint.

I'm sure that were you to see the Cavies show this year in person, you'd be much more impressed....much much more...

I can easily see this being in my top 3 all-time favorite Cavies show...one that you can watch over and over again...

Edited by BigBadMadMan

At the very least, wait until the DVD's come out. I know that I certainly look forward to seeing the Cadets finished product at that time. If you still don't like the Cavaliers' show, that's fine, but at least you'll have a professionally edited video to judge it on, rather than Youtube. I can see that making all the difference in the world, though it's still a shame you won't get to see either show live.

Edited by Maedhros

The Cavaliers aren't innovative...they don't have pink benches.

I disagree with the Cavaliers being simple, that doesn't make sense.

Though I'm glad you enjoy the Cadets, you're a good person to stay with the sinking ship.

1992 was a long time ago, pal.

Yep, one off year sure is an indicator that the Cadets ship is sinking :worthy:

I think one of the things I found most interesting about the Cavaliers this year is that they manage to be both intellectually stimulating and humorous at the same time. I think this is a really difficult concept to balance. They also prove that it is still possible to compete at a very high level without the use of narration, vocals or using props to push the envelope creatively. In fact, this year they use the corps themselves as props to convey the idea of a machine.

Yep, one off year sure is an indicator that the Cadets ship is sinking :worthy:

ummmmmmm...to my understanding, he was only talking about this year....and the way they are getting passed up by others would indicate their "ship is sinking".

Whoa whoa whoa! First of all, I'm not into their show this year. The Cavies show may look a lot like some of their other shows in the past few years, but it's most definitely NOT simple and it most definitely IS very high quality.