Hop raises great questions about judging!

I think one of the reasons why people have been so critical of judges this summer is because the parity that people have been begging for for years seems much more prevelant then it has in the past.

People are used to the top tier corps remaining a safe distance from the other corps...whether that corps deserved it or not.

Now that newer corps are producing stronger corps and are closing in on the top corps, people think its rubbish becuase they've been conditioned to believe thats impossible.

I see your point Gellio - this is just my opinion.

Remember what I said about stagnation a month ago?

Everyone wants change, as long as that change doesn't come at the expense of their favourite corps.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where was he with this question when Cadets got a perfect drum score though you could see problems caught clearly on the video? That line was the best on the field that night, IMO, but they were not perfect.

I agree, but in a different way...

The problems he addresses have been problems for years, but when you are one of the constant top 5 people, and the scoring system is working for you, then why bring up any reasons to change it...

BUT, being out of that comfortable scoring region gives a whole new perspective on the situation.

Yes, it sucks that it took Cadets to get lower scores for Hop to start the number crunching and say "Hey, this isn't right," but it happened. Hop is a smart guy, and with any luck, he might be able to get the ball rolling for some judging changes that will benefit the competition aspect of the activity.

There is so much more on this thread I wish I could address, but I will just say that having the Cadets call into question the judging might yield an opportunity for some good changes from the status quo.

I think he legitimately just wanted to understand. There have been years when I was very entertained by corps that didn't make finals. Sometimes finding them more entertaining than the champion. So, for entertainment, it has nothing to do with the scores. However, sometimes it does seem that some corps are better than others but are not getting the points. It can be a source of frustration or confusion, even if it doesn't change the entertainment value of the production for me.

Right, and that's what I'm trying to say: there's no understading to be had...so just sit back and enjoy!

Where was he with this question when Cadets got a perfect drum score though you could see problems caught clearly on the video? That line was the best on the field that night, IMO, but they were not perfect.

A perfect score is not perfection. My brass captionhead read out to us what it meant last season. You must demonstrate excellence, it has nothing to do with being perfect, nobody is perfect.

Edited by g0at

Re: Cadets and Glassmen both earning a 17.5 in Ens Vis on consecutive nights: I was at the Lawrence show and commented to a friend, "Now I know why Spirit is closing in on the Glassmen." They were surprisingly dirty, especially visually, for August 2nd. There is no way I can fathom them receiving the same score as Cadets. I haven't seen Cadets in person since 7/3, but I've seen them on Season's Pass, so I saw enough to convince me that Glasssmen are not in the same ball park. I guess last night's judge agreed--with the 1.2 margin. I think some posters are letting their personal opinions of Hopkins bleed into this discussion.

[

People were up in arms over the 1988 format, but it work, and IMO it should be standard today. The judges in semis and finals HAD TO give the right numbers because they didn't know what the other panel was going to do and it could have turned the activity upside down if say we won Semis and landed in 5th in finals.

I have been saying the same thing for years. I have been writing for DCW for over 20 years, and have experience in marching, teaching and judging. I would love to see them not only use the same format, as 1988, but I would also like to have them have two full sets of judges for regionals and finals. You could have them average the scores but you would still see the differences between the judges. I also think the scores should be entered by the judges on a computer and have the scores announced before the next corps appears.

Mike

A perfect score is not perfection. My brass captionhead read out to us what it meant last season. You must demonstrate excellence, it has nothing to do with being perfect, nobody is perfect.

So, how many drumlines have demonstrated excellence? One?

Edited by Tekneek

I also think the scores should be entered by the judges on a computer and have the scores announced before the next corps appears.

I love this idea. A total recap shows up on the big screen BEFORE the next corps starts up. That way everybody knows the numbers. The technology is there for each judge to enter his numbers into a wireless device right now and let a master system tally it up.