DCI is moving to Indy

First Post so go easy with the flaming/bashing.......

QUOTE(Wadep66 @ Aug 8 2006, 09:57 PM)

So, you think that people take their vacation along with the DCI championships and they don't go unless it's a great vacation spot? I have never known anyone who has gone to finals to take vacation. Interesting...

Yes people do take their vacation as part of DCI championships week, I've done this exact thing for the past 7 out of 10 years flying over from the UK, and i'm looking forward to going to Pasadena next year, now with the lock=in to indianapolis for the next 10 years I doubt I'll be willing to fly to the same destination.

Have the power that be condsidered this fact and realised that they possibly could lose a percentage of their audience at what is their main event, haven't we recenlty seen an increase in attendances during finals week after a period of decline especially as we have visited some great cities [Denver/Buffalo/Washington/Madison].

People have mentioned the regionals being an alternatives but if you want to see the finished product when you only have one chance per year this is not a great selling point and how much of the international audience will not be returning in a hurry.

Edited by Jasongpx

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all these pages of thread, someone has surely commented upon this already, but you've got to love the quote from that high school kid, "The big problem most people have is that they don't get to go to finals because they are so far away." Ha! Okay, good for kids from Carmel High School, not so much for people who live "far away" from Indy!

My only hope is that DCI has some sort of no-fault "out" to void the contract after a few years if they feel it isn't working.

Here's my real question, though, and I'm sure it's also been talked about already -- how many people who attend DCI Finals are "die hards" who would travel anywhere in the country to see it, versus how many are less ardent fans (or ones who have less money or less vacation time) who happen to live within a reasonable drive of where Finals are being held that year? How many fans and alums are going to Finals for the first time next year in California, even if they're huge supporters of the activity, simply because it's never been practical for them to travel to Wisconsin or Buffalo or wherever?

Edited by Orpheus

My only hope is that DCI has some sort of no-fault "out" to void the contract after a few years if they feel it isn't working.

If you read the FAQ that are up on DCI.org, it states that they have something in the contract.

If the acoustics are indeed a problem at Lucas Oil Stadium, remedies to DCI's satisfaction are included as a part of the agreement.

I have refrained from opinion on this thread for quite some time (Not exactly true ... there was that sushi post). I'm seeing the dead horse taking a few hits as well, but I feel like a couple things could be added. Everyone's got there own personal take on how this affects them as individuals, and I find it interesting the levels at which some of you project their perspective as some kind of collective view.

At the highest of levels, for DCI as an organization, this is the right move. I say this whether they chose Indy, Kansas City, Memphis, or Paducah (OK, I night have a problem understanding Paducah). It's obviously a lucrative deal for their offices. If you've got an attractive long-run option, it should be in the Midwest. It just so happens; that DCI was lucky enough that Indy was interested in them. They should be proud of the fact that they were wanted.

They are located with their peers. The people responsible for finals will be integrated into the finals community year round. Not only will that mean less strain on planning resources, it means, instead of stressing over what to do next year, they can be proactive for years to come, and refine all kinds of event elements that never could be addressed in the past.

Some of you have personal issues because it ruins your family vacations, so you might be forced to choose to skip finals altogether. While this is fair enough, and your personal decision, don't make the mistake of applying your "negative" scenario as negative to DCI or the event. I guarantee you this, for everyone of you that vacations every year to finals and elects to skip some Indy finals, there are an equal amount of people (probably more) that rarely, if ever, go to finals because they either cannot afford to travel out of their region, or to burn vacation time, etc, that will now be going to finals. I don't see them posting here, but I'm surrounded by them in non-internet life. It sucks that you choose not to go. But it also sucks to not be able to go. The only real black and white downside is a variation on this. For those that simply cannot afford to go out of their region, unfortunately, that region will not change for quite some time. But who knows, after a couple of years of streamlining the repetitive event, maybe the price of attending finals could get even cheaper.

As 2008 approaches, I'll be glad to share suggestions on "things-to-do" (Actually in Indiana, :P Not a neighboring state. But keep in mind, Indy is only 1.5 hours from IL and OH, so interstate travel is not necessarily the "crazy talk" that some have made it out to be).

it could definently be a good thing..

but remember when finals were in florida for 3 years straight? just curious.. how many of you complaing about it being in the same place?

10 years is a long time!

I agree. Part of the fun of going to finals is going to a new city.

I agree. Part of the fun of going to finals is going to a new city.

I agree, but there is some more stability at least logistically speaking for corps and all...the budget can start to become easier to determine each year....I would think that would be one of the saving graces for corps and their directors....right?

I guarantee you this, for everyone of you that vacations every year to finals and elects to skip some Indy finals, there are an equal amount of people (probably more) that rarely, if ever, go to finals because they either cannot afford to travel out of their region, or to burn vacation time, etc, that will now be going to finals.

Parts of your post make a lot of sense, but the above statement confuses me. How does this help people who don't live reasonably near Indianapolis? Fans, for instance, who might before have been able to go at least once every several years when DCI happened to be in a city which they could travel to easily. Now, if you live in Boston, you're out of luck, right? I haven't decided yet if I think this is a good idea, but well ... I guess I'm just thinking out loud, as it were.

I agree from a logistical and business stand point it is very good; and that the good out weighs the few negatives by a lot. I personally will probably be able to attend finals on a more regualar basis.

I do think it hurts the West coast fans who never get to see corps in their prime at the end of the season, except those that can afford to travel.

I hope (I'll try to think optomisticly) that the overhang won't affect the sound adversely. Maybe the open windows on each end will help with that.

Not at all important, but I'd prefer to be truely and completely outside on a summer night with a gentle breeze and the moon shining over the stadium as in Allentown last weekend. :)

Now for something really important.

2008 is the 60th anniversery of the Cavaliers! :ph34r:

Will we see a Cavaliers alumni corps or group of some kind perform at semi-finals! :)