DCI 1st Place Tie Breaker

Is the current tie break system unfair?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Is the current tie break system unfair?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? No sudden death? :(

How about this: Corps director knife fight on the 50 yard line. We could sell it as "Survivor: DCI" With a real survivor!!

Let me put it like this... if you were the corps who lost the tie breaker how would you feel?

Oh about the same as the corps that lost by a tenth, or less, I would imagine.

Let me put it like this... if you were the corps who lost the tie breaker how would you feel?

Probably no worse than I would feel if the corps I marched in lost by one tenth, AND I would know the entire BOD voted on the tie breaker rule, so it is fairly applied to all.

And that's the ultimate thing to focus on...fairness to all. It was voted on well before any season even started.

It's a competition, which means there will be winners and losers. To satisfy the competitive side of this activity then, I think it's appropriate, even necessary, to have a tie-breaking system in place. To say "give them both a trophy" flies in the face of why we even have scores at all, in my opinion. Sure, that's something of a straw man argument, but if you're going to compete under a system, make sure that that system is capable of arriving at one winner. Otherwise the system is incomplete.

Well....we found something to disagree on! :P

IMO the outcome of a competition like drum corps is that the members and staff work their hearts out to achieve the highest score the can. If two happen to achieve that score, so be it. As a judge, I rank and rate the corps/bands with my scores. If the ranking and rating of all the judges ends up placing two in first, I fail to see the problem. They both equally deserve to place first in that case. They both achieved the highest score.

As for your comment of "they (both) deserve the title", that may be true. But our activity cannot help but be subjective in its judging. Think back to Atlanta, where Cavaliers beat the Blue Devils by only .025, one quarter of one tenth of a point. Couldn't we say that both corps deserved the title? What about years like 1993, or 1984, when the championship was decided by only a tenth of a point. We could easily say that both the Cadets and the Blue Devils deserved the title in 1984, yet we awarded the trophy to only one corps. Because when we added up the numbers, they were a mere tenth better. A change of a tenth here or there, by one or two judges, and we have a tie, maybe even a different winner. Yet we still award the trophy to one corps, as though the numbers were objective and indisputable and any judge on that caption that night would produce the same result. (IMO, such close margins are essentially ties anyway, and its just coincidence when the number manage to line up exactly.)

In those cases, there WAS a score difference, however small. Yes, it was tiny, but it was there, so no tie.

Thinking of it that way, I think it would be a silly policy to award both corps the title when the numbers line up the same, and yet only one corps gets the gold even when the numbers are only .025 apart. If we're going to insist that one corps was better than the other in the latter situation, and say this corps was first while this corps was second, then we need to have a method for placing them first and second in the situation of a tie, as well.

Disagree, as tie is different than a not-tie! :P

If two kids deserve an 'A' they should both get that grade. I can't tell one "Sorry, I gave Sam the A so you are stuck with a B."

i had a teacher who believed that a certain percentage of the class should get a's, a certain percentage b's etc., so if you had a lower b than everyone else with a b. he would change your grade to a c.