Just got back from Vanguard's rehearsal.

Watched ensemble rehearsal tonight and their run through. First off, I have to say, if this is the 6th rank corps, it is a testiment to just how good the corps above them are. Their practice was interesting. At one point, they were running a section and the drum major cut (maybe 10 seconds in) and the head staff member said, "Yeah, that was pretty terrible, thanks for resetting!" Overall though, it was a great practice and I was very impressed, especially with their colorguard, the body carriage of the whole corps while marching, and the brass at many moments. This brassline sounds a #### of a lot better than they did on the most recent season clip. I just cannot believe they are the 6th ranked corps. I saw the lone sop rehearsing too and couldn't help but feel bad for him. There were also a couple injured guard members front field doing all the work, but none of the drill. This colorguard is just incredible. The unison they achieved tonight was really marvelous, and that brassline sure can play, and they've got some difficult passages throughout the show. I am getting really hyped now. Think I'm going to check out Regiment tomorrow night. Sorry for the structure of this post and any errors - I am pretty tired. GO VANGUARD!!! Oh, a huge group of spectators also did the "Vanguard" yell while they were rehearsing that passage and during the run-through. Now I know exactly where it is. Rehearsal ethic was also great - pretty intense. It's going to be interesting to see how they place when the week is over. I'm not a drum person, so I have no comments there. There were a few rough moments in the trumpets (during the run-through), but they were few, and the low brass is sweet and powerful.

This is DEFINITELY my favorite show this year! Awesome! So much better than last year.

Edited by gellio

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Look forward to seeing it in the theater. :(

And you should be. It's been since 2001 that I've been to finals, and the only show I've seen since then was Seattle in June '04. It was very obvious tonight just how much better corps are getting. Again, if I came to this rehearsal not knowing where anyone was placement wise, I would assume they were top 3. However, I didn't have a good vantage point for the drill, as there was just a small hill on the front sideline that we were all on. There was maybe 50 people watching them. The jazz section of their show is just wicked, and the closer is sweet.

They also did their run-through as though it were the show. The lined up off field, marched on, did their on the line warmup, did the show, marched off field, and around the track down front. Very cool. The head staff member even did the, "On the field, from Santa Clara, California, presenting their 2006 show - Moto Perpetuo (sp), the Santa Clara Vanguard!" "Drum major Blah Blah, is your corps ready?" He did the salute. "Santa Clara Vanguard, you may take the field for competition." Pretty cool they got that into their rehearsal too.

Good luck checking out Regiment's rehearsal tomorrow since all rehearsals this week are closed - except the ensemble block Wednesday night, Just thought I would let you know.

Tomorrow night is Wednesday night. That's when I'm going...for the ensemble and run-through.

They also did their run-through as though it were the show. The lined up off field, marched on, did their on the line warmup, did the show, marched off field, and around the track down front. Very cool. The head staff member even did the, "On the field, from Santa Clara, California, presenting their 2006 show - Moto Perpetuo (sp), the Santa Clara Vanguard!" "Drum major Blah Blah, is your corps ready?" He did the salute. "Santa Clara Vanguard, you may take the field for competition." Pretty cool they got that into their rehearsal too.

SCV did that at the Spokane show thie year, too. BD also did it in rehearsal the last time I saw them in 04, too. It's smart.

SCV did that at the Spokane show thie year, too. BD also did it in rehearsal the last time I saw them in 04, too. It's smart.

We never did that in Scouts. Rehearsal ethic seems a lot more professional these days. No screwing around at all. No talking. Whenever a staff member addressed a section all members raised their hands to show they were all listening. Really impressed. Really wanted to check out Bloo tomorrown night, but I have a family thing until around 8 and won't make it in to Madison in time. Deerfield is about 10 minutes away, so I should make it for at least Regiment's run-through.