27th question

Quite the norm in the late 70s/early 80s.

In fact - 1983 DCI finals, only ONE corps had a book without at least one song from the previous year - Phantom Regiment.

In the case of the 27th Lancers, the reasons had more to do than "the norm" . They had the Olympics to prepare for.

~G~

I just have to add that the '86 color guard was phenomenal!!!

I had a friend int he gaurd that year - she's from Montreal - her name was Chantal and she had also marched '83 &'85 with Lancers.

She almost got me to follow her in '86 - but I dediced to stick it out with Les Eclipses (and we also folded that year!)

Later,

Mike

I just have to add that the '86 color guard was phenomenal!!!

I had a friend int he gaurd that year - she's from Montreal - her name was Chantal and she had also marched '83 &'85 with Lancers.

She almost got me to follow her in '86 - but I dediced to stick it out with Les Eclipses (and we also folded that year!)

Later,

Mike

Chantal! I remember her! She was the sweetest! I slept at the corps hall and stayed at the Bonfgilio's in between tours, but I got to hang out with alot of color guard members those years. I remember she taught me some French too! lol.

In 94 after our performance one of the commentators was not kidding when he said George B breathed the corps, bled the corps.....and so on (paraphrasing here)

He and the entire Bonfiglio family gave up not only their home lives but their home many times to raise money to keep the corps afloat. I've witnessed so many selfless acts by each of them which showed their love and devotion for the corps but more importantly the kids! Their door was always open and in the beginning (circa 67) the house would be full of members and friends. That continued on for years and years.

Christmas Eve was a very important night for George B. - usually the DM and captain would visit and bring a bottle - George loved that! Many would visit that evening, not just the bossmen-but I believe he really was tickled that we would be there and not home - however we were home!

And on Mothers Day, Patsy would get her usual 27 roses. I don't remember not practicing on Mother's Day and that was always a part of the day.

Anyway, just a few cents added from a lifetime of memories.....

I'm a younger DCI fan and the 27th Lancers folded before I was born, but I admire and respect this corps more than most others. They were showmen, they were loud, but they were classy and they had this "old school" traditional style about them. If I had a chance to bring one corps back from retirement, it would be 27.

• Like 1

When I marched, 27th lancers and Phantom were my favorite corps outside of the Cavaliers. When I heard they were not returning to the field for 87, I cried for the hard working members of the corps. This all brought me back to the day I first saw the 27th Lancer colorguard. I was spellbound and just couldn't take my eyes off of the rifle and flag work. I learned so many moves by just watching them, I could almost do their show.

This entire thread really moved me. :worthy:

In 94 after our performance one of the commentators was not kidding when he said George B breathed the corps, bled the corps.....and so on (paraphrasing here)

He and the entire Bonfiglio family gave up not only their home lives but their home many times to raise money to keep the corps afloat. I've witnessed so many selfless acts by each of them which showed their love and devotion for the corps but more importantly the kids! Their door was always open and in the beginning (circa 67) the house would be full of members and friends. That continued on for years and years.

Christmas Eve was a very important night for George B. - usually the DM and captain would visit and bring a bottle - George loved that! Many would visit that evening, not just the bossmen-but I believe he really was tickled that we would be there and not home - however we were home!

And on Mothers Day, Patsy would get her usual 27 roses. I don't remember not practicing on Mother's Day and that was always a part of the day.

Anyway, just a few cents added from a lifetime of memories.....

George and Patsy were, and always will be, my second set of parents. I spent many an evening hanging out at their home (a few blocks away). I remember the entire corps quietly setting up an arc on South Cambridge St. (that hill is about 45 degrees steep!!) and serenading them with "Danny Boy" on their anniversary. The look on their faces when they stepped through the door to see the whole corps assembled in the street playing for them will always be one of the softest places in my heart!

I was so sad when they sold the house on Cambridge, it's almost like a piece of Lancer History gone. :(

Every one of you Lancers should pick up the phone and give them a call to say hi! This is your sister speaking! :P

I hope to see all of you at the reunion!

PM Me if you don't have their number. They love hearing from all their kids. (They still call us kids). :) And here is a side note I found out getting to know them better. They remember EVERY single kid that ever marched. I know that's hard to believe, but it's true and amazing. Mrs. B.'s memory is sharp as a tack!

If you think they remember stupid stuff we used to get scolded over, they don't...lol. That's not the things they remember about us!

Edited by Lancerlady

I was so sad when they sold the house on Cambridge, it's almost like a piece of Lancer History gone. :(

Every one of you Lancers should pick up the phone and give them a call to say hi! This is your sister speaking! :P

I hope to see all of you at the reunion!

PM Me if you don't have their number. They love hearing from all their kids. (They still call us kids). :) And here is a side note I found out getting to know them better. They remember EVERY single kid that ever marched. I know that's hard to believe, but it's true and amazing. Mrs. B.'s memory is sharp as a tack!

If you think they remember stupid stuff we used to get scolded over, they don't...lol. That's not the things they remember about us!

I miss George & Patsy. I have no doubt that they remember everyone. I was only there 2 years and every time I saw them after, they (especially Patsy) always rememberd me. Mrs Patti too.

Good to know about the scolding stuff.....

Edited by CHRISP

Ahhhhhh, the Revere House of Grease! LOL....I do remember that.

Mrs. Patty!!!! Awesome lady. Always made you feel good about what you were doing.

We came in after curfew one night after going to get some late night snacks. George B. was waiting for us at the door. Poor John Fisher....he was the first one in, so he got the biggest brunt of it! LOL. And if you could just picture George B doing his hand gestures to get the point across. PRICELESS!!!

Anyone remember those Larry Lancer and Lucy Lancer signs on the shower room door? Remember those Steph???? hehehehehehe

To whoever said that we knew? I most certainly had no clue. George B was down at the field on the last night. It was not good enough for him. We kept running one set over and over and over and over and over....He wanted more sound, more excitement....and what the rest of the staff couldn't get out of the corps, he did! The man owned the corps. Was he the blood of the corps? You bet.

I have a copy on VHS of our performance from the Star show. Even the announcers were shocked at how well we did. I never knew the corps to give up. I just remember that no matter where we placed, when we left the field, my head was up high because you couldn't be more full of pride as you marched off to Danny Boy!