Quarterfinals random thoughts and observations

All in all, what a great job DCI has done!

Although I have a few things about the cine-cast that kind of made me mad..

Did anyone notice that the camera angles were SOOO annoying during the show? They would always be in the WRONG places at the wrong times, or whatever. Often they would focus on a random person during a big GE moment.

For instance...

they missed the ENTIRE part with the web for the bluecoats. ( the whole web thing with the streamers)

The missed the big Wave saber throws with the cadets, and basically every great moment in the show. Half the show was ZOOOMED in on the 1 dancer. Realllly annoying, too much going on in that show to do that.

Bluedevils, not toooo bad, but alwaays in the wrong place.

Cavaliers... WOW... they almost missed their HUGE moment with the " jello" like visual. and they totally missed the whole starting of the engine, and the guy gets knocked..

All in all, I would not usually complain. But the camera angles were horrible. They would always be focused WAAAy to close on a single member. I know that a live broadcast is not going to be perfect. But the team almost seemed to go out of their way to put it in the most odd places. I mean, I even caught myself saying " noooo, don't miss that... they can't miss that... that's important".. I heard people in the audience get the same reaction too.

anyone on the same page with me?

oh and btw, that madison guard interview was hilarious... maybe he was really dizzy?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best percussion:

#1 The Cadets

You really like Cadets perc over PR? (I'm no drum guy, but IMHO it doesnt seem like there's a contest here)

Edited by dciguy01

i can honestly say...

i did not like any of the top 5 except for BD.

cadets.. wtf? :beer:

phantom.. alright. almost put me to sleep. should not be so close to BD.

cavies.. not too many crazy GE moves like the past few years, which was good. show was not funny at all, except 1 part. they had 3 guard drops that i saw, and a tenor dropped one of this sticks. dont think they should have won. hope they dont.

bd.. they were on. awesome. loved the new drill changes, noticed some nice music changes as well. the whole corps was just on fire.

madison.. put me to sleep.

vanguard.. wow.. i like this show now.. should have beaten bluecoats i thought. they definently cleaned it since california

cavies won GE

blue devils won visual

phantom won horns (bd took third, cavies second)

i forget the actual caption scores, but i think if BD was winning horns, or even in 2nd, they would be ahead right now. oh.. cavies individual marching <**>

i never noticed it before, or maybe its new... but i saw crossmen was doing the (in)famous cadets backwards roll step bounce

he interview for xmen was pretty funny too haha

we got recaps at the theater. they said about 20,000 people were at the theater show tonight.

20,000 x $20 = $400,000

oh.. and ill say it again.. SCV should be beating bluecoats right now!

Biased as usual!

Phantom's drumline absolutely put on a performance clinic tonight! :beer:

There were some surprising issues with the Cavaliers guard tonight and BD was not as #### clean as expected, but clearly...these are great shows with 2 more days to iron out minor kinks now that they have the jitters worked out.

The missed the big Wave saber throws with the cadets, and basically every great moment in the show. Half the show was ZOOOMED in on the 1 dancer. Realllly annoying, too much going on in that show to do that.

why? i would think it was shot perfectly.. isnt that what the show was about?

One of the biggest camera blunders all night seemed to be that the cameramen were more concerned with filming drummers drumming during a drum break, rather than the incredible visual spectacles that were going on around them with the brasslines. I don't mind the drummers getting their camera time during their moment, but we don't need a close up of the sticks for the entire break for every corps. Very disappointing.

Why didn't we get to see the Cavies drum major salute? Why didn't we see the incredible trumpeter's long robot? Moreover, why didn't we get to see one second of the new ending, including a shot of the last set?

Why didn't we see the Blue Devils disappearing/reappearing cross? Why didn't we see THEIR last set?

Why didn't we see Phantom Regiment's whole ending?

Why didn't we see seemingly everything for SCV?

And what about the Cadets? Too much Alice, too little everyone else. Sorry guys.

Overall, an unbelievable amount of great visual moments missed.

Perhaps this was pre-arranged to inspire people to buy DVDs down the road? Hmm...

Yeah, that's what I mean. The person-to-person balance & tone color isn't as seamless as it needs to be if their horns want to be a decisively "top hornline".

It was the ballad that made me think that, too. The show design, though, was so good, and the kids pulled it off so well, that they could only be in first. There were a lot of cool things all night, but they were the only corps that had my friends and I going, "Holy sh... look at that..." That move where the robot pushed & bent the whole corps, and then they sprung back, prompted me to say, "There they are, the 2006 champs. Nobody's going to touch that." I think they can do it Saturday.

Isn't it fun to agree?... Its gonna be a toss up for best brass, but may the best corps win.

I thought that Phantom Regiment had the best hornline, no matter what any scores said. That being said (don't you just love that saying?), there were some lower euphoniums during the final impact of "Ave Maria" that were blowing so insanely loud, it made the moment less than stellar.