OK, I've finally seen Cadets

You're wrong. :P

Well...as for out of tune...I DO think you are wrong.

As for bbbling...the song is akin to something by Enya, so there are not supposed to be real words sung.

Mike, have you had your ears checked lately?

I said, have you had your ears checked lately?

Have you...

Oh, never mind.

:P

Garry

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're wrong. :P

Well...as for out of tune...I DO think you are wrong.

As for bbbling...the song is akin to something by Enya, so there are not supposed to be real words sung.

First of all, I wish I could actually say that I know Enya so I could do a Lloyd Bentsen and say "she's no Enya', but alas, she's just not very good with that piece, and she was out of tune last night. :drool:

What really scared me was the intensity of His Georgeness pacing the sidelines, mouthing lyrics and applauding where there were no spectacular moves. Kind of like watching Nixon's resignation speech, waiting for something crazy to happen.

I was waiting for the inevitable train wreck with the amplification. To my regret, it never occurred.........darn!

One question, for the vast majority of corps who only use amps for the pit: Why do they need a soundboard? It looked bizarre seeing the Glassmen soundboard operator (and several others) mixing away. Did they really have to balance marimba 2 with the tymps and re-mix for the chimes?

Actually to brutally honest everyone is quite wrong about the singing...

To address the out of tune issues:

she was not...if you have heard the actual song, which I'm sure many of you have not, it is dead on...

who sings this song?

Lisa Gerrard....who is that you may ask? She is the women who helped Mr. Hans Zimmer with the soundtrack of "Gladiator," which through her jaw-droppingly soaring vocals and wordless lyrics she won a Golden Globe for that movie...

what my point is...the singer, who is an amazing young woman, is singing exactly as the composer of the song wants it to be sung...the language is made up....there are no words...it is a mix of middle-eastern and western sounds clashing to form just rising melodies...honestly...she is doing great....it's just that many people do not understand or know what she is singing...because oh wait...you aren't supposed to...i hope you all complained about gladiator and lisa gerrard....if not...stop complaining about this young woman...do NOT belittle her, JUST because you do NOT understand....

take out the "singing" and their score will jump at least 2 points

First of all, I wish I could actually say that I know Enya so I could do a Lloyd Bentsen and say "she's no Enya', but alas, she's just not very good with that piece, and she was out of tune last night.

:drool:

Edited by cire

First of all, I wish I could actually say that I know Enya so I could do a Lloyd Bentsen and say "she's no Enya', but alas, she's just not very good with that piece, and she was out of tune last night. :drool:

What really scared me was the intensity of His Georgeness pacing the sidelines, mouthing lyrics and applauding where there were no spectacular moves. Kind of like watching Nixon's resignation speech, waiting for something crazy to happen.

I was waiting for the inevitable train wreck with the amplification. To my regret, it never occurred.........darn!

One question, for the vast majority of corps who only use amps for the pit: Why do they need a soundboard? It looked bizarre seeing the Glassmen soundboard operator (and several others) mixing away. Did they really have to balance marimba 2 with the tymps and re-mix for the chimes?

also, it is pretty immature to wish a failure for a corps...seriously we aren't in middle school anymore to wish something goes wrong...these kids are performing their butts off...why would you want a technical flaw to destroy a year's work...that is pretty low...and please do not criticize the corps and members like that...and that is FOR ALL THE CORPS show some respect...

take out the "singing" and their score will jump at least 2 points

take out the singing and it wouldn't be what the staff wants the show to be...if it isn't always about 'winning' then why should they sacrifice their vision for two points...seriously people...don't become hypocritical...

As a 50 something "old" lady and as a marcher from the 70's, I found nothing offensive about the show. The corps performed well and the props and characters added to the theme of the show. The singer was definitely in tune from where I sat on the 50. If they had left in all of the narration that I heard about earlier in the year, then I would probably have an entirely different opinion.

Edited by DrumCorpsMom

The Borg has spoken. There will be no more criticism of the Cadets. They are perfect. George is perfect. Lisa Gerrard is perfect. Hans Zimmer is perfect.

Sorry if my 41 years of ear training was offended by the lousy vocalizing. It won't happen again.

[sarcasm/]

Garry

take out the singing and it wouldn't be what the staff wants the show to be...if it isn't always about 'winning' then why should they sacrifice their vision for two points...seriously people...don't become hypocritical...

That's all great. Doesn't change the fact that it was out of tune, though. Just glancing around me at the theater last night, I could see people cringing. Is that what the staff was going for as well?

The Borg has spoken. There will be no more criticism of the Cadets. They are perfect. George is perfect. Lisa Gerrard is perfect. Hans Zimmer is perfect.

Sorry if my 41 years of ear training was offended by the lousy vocalizing. It won't happen again.

[sarcasm/]

Garry

just grow up...and stop belittling this girl's work...i'm sure it is a lot harder then you give her credit for...i just don't know why everyone is so critical...