OK, I've finally seen Cadets

If that's the case, then a singer (in general) better be able to match their surroundings. It's much easier for the vocalist to match up to an instrument rather than the instrument to the singer.

I'm curious, then. With all the new technology in drum corps, are monitors allowed? In the case of a vocalist, do the rules allow an in-ear monitor?

Garry

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, speaking as a vocalist, if I was on the field in a large stadium with all those instruments behind me. I'd definitely want some kind of monitor.

The singer, who is an amazing young woman, is singing exactly as the composer of the song wants it to be sung...it's just that many people do not understand or know what she is singing...because oh wait...you aren't supposed to... do NOT belittle her, JUST because you do NOT understand....

Wow, when you have to resort to the "you just don't understand it" gambit, then you're in serious trouble.

Actually to brutally honest everyone is quite wrong about the singing...

To address the out of tune issues:

she was not...if you have heard the actual song, which I'm sure many of you have not, it is dead on...

who sings this song?

Lisa Gerrard....who is that you may ask? She is the women who helped Mr. Hans Zimmer with the soundtrack of "Gladiator," which through her jaw-droppingly soaring vocals and wordless lyrics she won a Golden Globe for that movie...

what my point is...the singer, who is an amazing young woman, is singing exactly as the composer of the song wants it to be sung...the language is made up....there are no words...it is a mix of middle-eastern and western sounds clashing to form just rising melodies...honestly...she is doing great....it's just that many people do not understand or know what she is singing...because oh wait...you aren't supposed to...i hope you all complained about gladiator and lisa gerrard....if not...stop complaining about this young woman...do NOT belittle her, JUST because you do NOT understand....

Sorry man, but this young lady is no Lisa Gerrard. And to even make that comparison is insulting to Lisa. I have to agree with what the others have mentioned. When I did clearly hear her vocals (and yes I do understand the lyricless concept) she was flat by just a hair. Unforutunate for her that hair was just enough to ruin a great background horn line that sounded very good. The other two times I heard this show, I could not hear her at all. It really adds nothing to the show, and it really restrains a fantastic horn line from really shining in the show.

I have to agree with Garry's assesments. This was my first viewing of them this year as well.

Mine too. I didn't hate it, but I agree that the vocals did cover up some of the horns. It wasn't too bad of singing, but I've been listening to the recording of just the horns playing it, and the mellos have some really, really nice stuff in there that just doesn't come through over the vocals. And many moving lines in the horns are lost to her long sustained notes.

There was some cool stuff though. The mirror thing at the end was pretty cool. Playing the same music at the end from last year is a nice tie back to Part I. (Did anyone else notice that the door in the beginning didn't have 1313 on it? Then it did again at the end. And the door handle was on the left at the beginning, and the right at the end. Hmm...) And the stick toss had our theater laughing in awe (in the same way that we laughed at parts of the Cavaliers: the good "holy crap that's awesome I could never do that" laugh).

I do agree with whoever said the rabbit guy must feel like an idiot. :( I would. But the characters weren't as oppressive as I had feared. The narration was annoying, but I can get over that. All told, it's a bunch of stuff that can be good in small doses that has been done before (narration, singing, props, characters) that's been taken and blown to immense proportions. Too much, I say. Tone it down for 2007, say, and it would be a quality show.

If you think she was out of tune or you just don't like amplified vocals in the first place, that's one thing ... but I think it's absolutely bizarre that some people seem to be upset by the fact that she's singing nonsense syllables instead of words.

Actually to brutally honest everyone is quite wrong about the singing...

To address the out of tune issues:

she was not...if you have heard the actual song, which I'm sure many of you have not, it is dead on...

what my point is...the singer, who is an amazing young woman, is singing exactly as the composer of the song wants it to be sung...the language is made up....there are no words...it is a mix of middle-eastern and western sounds clashing to form just rising melodies...honestly...she is doing great....it's just that many people do not understand or know what she is singing...because oh wait...you aren't supposed to...i hope you all complained about gladiator and lisa gerrard....if not...stop complaining about this young woman...do NOT belittle her, JUST because you do NOT understand....

So if I wasn't so stupid, I'd KNOW that her part is dissonance, not out of tune? Don't you think that's risk beyond acceptability. Putting a dissonant phrase on a controversial "instrument"?

If you think she was out of tune or you just don't like amplified vocals in the first place, that's one thing ... but I think it's absolutely bizarre that some people seem to be upset by the fact that she's singing nonsense syllables instead of words.

I like the effect of singing no words...very LOTRish. But my beef, as stated above, is that I couldn't hear the little nuances in the horns, particularly mellos, that I've grown to love.

She was, in my book, simply too loud. However, if she were any softer she would be "background," which would defeat the purpose of having her there. Say what you like- it's a solo for that girl, with a beautiful horn backup part (like the original song, IMO. The original, I guarantee you, is written for the singer). My preference would be to just hear horns. Imagine if Bluecoats had added a singer to their ballad, "My Heart And I." I would cry. That song is so beautiful, just like "Sanvean," and it just doesn't need to be "fixed" when it's that stinkin' good!

I thought it was some sort of chant, not 'nonsense'?? That was the impression I got. Well anyway, I think people were confused about WHAT she was singing and whether or not they were supposed to be able to identify it.

I thought it was some sort of chant, not 'nonsense'?? That was the impression I got. Well anyway, I think people were confused about WHAT she was singing and whether or not they were supposed to be able to identify it.

"Nonsense" only in the sense that it doesn't mean anything.