Madison Scouts Alumni Project!

:wacko:

FABULOUS PICTURES!!!

My only images thus far are from YouTube.. very dull..but even on my cheesy computer speakers, I was blown away!

You can expect that I will be buying a copy of that DVD when it comes out. :blink:

Dan - see you this weekend!

Let's hope "Not Bob" decides to make an appearance! :P

Pat

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few more pictures one from Wednesday night and two from the front sideline on Friday night.

Enjoy! :blink:

Wonderful pictures Lynne. I have already scarfed them and added them to my screensaver slideshow!! :P

:wacko:

FABULOUS PICTURES!!!

My only images thus far are from YouTube.. very dull..but even on my cheesy computer speakers, I was blown away!

You can expect that I will be buying a copy of that DVD when it comes out. :blink:

Dan - see you this weekend!

Let's hope "Not Bob" decides to make an appearance! :P

Pat

Looking forward to it Pat. Ive seen the "broadcast" video and it rocks. Its going to make a great memento for all of us.

Freaking WOW! Just freaking WOW!

I would like to know how the members of the MAP felt during the show and after they had left the field.
One can hardly put into words the emotions.
It was a complete mind blowing, freeking gas!

Heh, heh. Jerry, for not being able to put the emotions into words, you did a pretty good job.

ODBC, I marched with the Scouts through the good times and the bad. 1967 is arguably one of the worst years for the Madison Scouts, and 1974 is one of the best. I now get to add 2006 to my experiences and I will tell you that the emotions I felt before, during, and after our performance are indeed difficult to put into words. But I'll give it a shot.

How did I feel?

Anxious (in both senses of the word), while waiting to come out of the hot, clammy tunnels during the I&E awards.

Thrilled. From a pure audience reaction, the only experience I have that comes close to the gift that the crowd gave us Friday night was the CYO Championship crowd in 1974. That crowd was thunderous, but the semi-finals response was something even greater. And astonished that the crowd erupted in spontaneous ovation before we played a single note (forming the fleur de lis).

Bewildered and disappointed right before Malaguena (our last song). I was thinking "Huh? Where did the time go? No!! It can't be almost over!!"

Proud. We did it. By God we pulled it off. We lived up to the Madison Scouts standard of entertainment excellence.

Honored by the expressions of personal appreciation that I received after the show and the next day by fans thanking us for our performance. The number of people who stopped me to shake my hand and tell me what that performance meant to them is truly humbling. We did the show for the crowd and for the current Madison Scouts. It is nice to know we succeeded.

Melancholy. After such a "high", real day-to-day life seems like a "low". I'm sad that it's over. My wife is bugging me to put away my uniform, but I'm procrastinating.

Thank you to all the fans and the posters here on DCP who have given such nice feedback. And thank you to all my Scout brothers, both new and old. I will treasure this experience forever.

May You Never Walk Alone.

Edited by Green Fleurdelis

Freaking WOW! Just freaking WOW!

Hey Roark, Did you make it to the show?? I looked for you in your groucho glasses at The Stadium Bar but didn't see you.

Friday night was just a freakin' trip. I knew we would be good and the crowd would love us but my god the crowd was on fire.

My family was in the stands (my 82 year old mother finally got to see me march as a Scout and my wife finally understood why I put

our lives on hold for 6 months except for work & drum corps) and they said that the older the fans were, the more thay seemed to enjoy it.

Starting the show by presenting the flag did it for my uncle and from there on it wasn't only Madison Scout favorites it was just drum corps

as so many people remember it. The younger fans loved it but the older fans re-lived it. I can't even count the number of people who

came up to me afterwards and just said "thank you". I was on the sqaure Sat. morning with my alumni tee shirt on and an elderly woman

came up to me, hugged me, and said "thank all of you guys for all of the hard work that you put in for us fans".

At times this year I really wondered about my decision to do this. Now I have a memory to last me the rest of my life. One reason I did this was to have that feeling again we had in 1975 at the end of our show - the crowd just went nuts. Well Friday nights crowd was even more nuts and more appreciative.

I'm still walking about 2" above the earths surface. Thanks to all my brothers especially my bass drum bruddahs - we rocked man.

Edited by bass5

Hey Mike,

Congratulations on what must have been an amazing night. I was not at the show; I just saw the pix in the thread. I can tell that after reading the reactions and seeing the pix, I feel kind of down about not being able to participate in the project. I knew I would be bummed out, but I didn't think I would feel this...empty is the best way to put it I guess.

It is truly a testament to you, and all of the other brothers that were able to arrange your lives and make the sacrifices necessary to give this gift to the fans. You all continue to embody all of the things that we learned about "giving it up" for the crowd. Had I been able to be there, I'm sure I would have been in tears (of joy) during the show.

I can't tell you how happy I am for you and all the other guys that were able to pull it off. You all still have IT.

MYNWA,

Edited by Roark1

Yes, Doug Tholo got bunched by all the contras when they gave him a contra section t-shirt. It was fast and efficient, almost planned. I tryed to stop it, but decided to watch instead, which was much more fun.

Jed

Tenor 87-88

Almost planned??? :lol:

Let me assure you it was planned ever since he started ripping (in a friendly manner) the eldest member of the contra section.

You tried to stop the 16 of us??? b**bs

I hope you enjoyed the show!

All in good fun my brother. B)

Great post JH. I marched with the Scouts from 1984 through 1988, and it was an unbelievable, indescribable thrill to participate in the alumni reunion corps this year, for so many reasons. For a few days over the past 6 months, I was back with my fellow Scouts—not in a new senior corps, but with 220+ other Scouts, back in a Madison Corps again! In addition, I got to march with drum major Doug Tholo and many other heroes from every section of one of my favorite corps of all time, the great 1978 Madison Scouts.

Yes, thank you very much ODBC for the question. (By the way, before I go any further, if you’re sick of hearing about the MSARP, it’s simple—don’t read the related posts/threads!)

Where to start?

- It was an incredible reunion! Many wonderful friendships were re-energized. In addition, I was able to re-connect and really get to know several brothers with whom I did not spend enough time as a bratty 17-21 year-old.

- Since my rookie season was 1984 (Eisenhower jackets for the horn and drum lines, white shirt/green pants for the guard), I did not get to wear what I consider the very best, most studly uniform in all of Madison Scouts history . . . until last week. For those of us that did not wear it when we marched (AND those who did) it was totally cool to see ourselves in that uni. We like to call it the “Superman Suit” – it truly felt like it!!

- One of my favorite DCI video moments is Malaguena from 1980 – fortunately for us guard buffs, the camera caught almost all of the rifle line’s book that year. It was an unbelievable thrill and honor to perform the same work to the same music that the great Ralph Viray, Randy Black, and Dave Beckman (and so many others—I think it was those 3 on camera; someone please correct me if I’m wrong) did that legendary year. I hope we did you proud, guys.

- On Wednesday night of finals week we had the privilege of watching the 2006 Scouts’ show and performing for them. That was a really cool experience. After the show we joined forces with the 2006 corps and alumni in attendance to sing our corps song together under the direction of fellow alum and current instructor Scott Boerma. So beautiful!

- Friday eve and almost all day/night on Saturday were spent at the Stadium Bar across the street from Camp Randall at the best post-DCI party ever. We could not get enough of each other and our semi-finals video . . . again, if you don’t/didn’t like it—leave! Lots of great memories, old and new.

All that said, I should stress how much we fully appreciate and loved the amazing support from the crowd on Friday. I hope that everyone still in the stadium last Friday enjoyed our Remembrance as much as we did.

Finally, while I’m on here, a few random thoughts and my wish list for the future:

- Cavaliers – WOW, what a show. Full respect to your great corps; you guys truly were a machine. (Note: The 50th anniversary flag that we carried in the MSARP show was given to us in 1988 by the Cavaliers. That’s class.)

- Cavies and Regiment, thank you for bringing something new to drum corps – respectful of the activity’s roots, yet creative, modern, and captivating. Two beautiful shows!

- I would like to see another Regiment DCI title – all by themselves. Your shows the past two years—and so many before that (e.g. 1994)—have been absolutely transcendent.

- I would like to see a Regiment reunion corps! Just do a 1978-1982 medley and I will be in heaven.

- To the 2006 Scouts – Well done, gentlemen . . . I know that we in the MSRP are all so proud of you. While I certainly don't support Michael Cesario as a Madison staff member/uniform designer, I’ll always love my corps and respect and honor my fellow alums.

Marc G

Chicago

Marc, I dont think you could have summed it up any better.

I really dont know how to even begin to discribe the feelings and thoughts of what has happened. I am still in a euphoric state, and dont expect my feet to touch the ground for some time yet. All of this bliss is fed by the wonderful feedback from the fans. I really dont know what else to tell anyone, except that the love and pride of marching with my hero's, my friends, and my brothers transends anything and everything that I have ever felt.

Thank you.

Plateheads - Spiff, Chone, Glenn, Geddy, Hometown, E and Calvin...

...long live the Texas brotherhood.

And to all my other brothers - current Madison Scouts, Project Alumni and Missing Alumni...

...The fire now burns brighter and hotter then I ever imagined.

Marc, I dont think you could have summed it up any better.

I really dont know how to even begin to discribe the feelings and thoughts of what has happened. I am still in a euphoric state, and dont expect my feet to touch the ground for some time yet. All of this bliss is fed by the wonderful feedback from the fans. I really dont know what else to tell anyone, except that the love and pride of marching with my hero's, my friends, and my brothers transends anything and everything that I have ever felt.

Thank you.

Plateheads - Spiff, Chone, Glenn, Geddy, Hometown, E and Calvin...

...long live the Texas brotherhood.

And to all my other brothers - current Madison Scouts, Project Alumni and Missing Alumni...

...The fire now burns brighter and hotter then I ever imagined.

I hope you don't mind if this 3rd sop gives all my Texan "plate" brothers a hearty,

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

To all you Texan Son's of B_ _ _ _ 's, you guys were just the comic relief and proverbial "icing" on the cake that all of us needed in the final days of the "Project" that make this brotherhood soooooo sweeeeet!

And did I mention that you freekin "Brisqete Knawing Boys from the Lone Star State" just freekin scortched the feild on Friday night with your antics!

C'mon everyone, say it with me! TEXAS STYLE!!!! IT AINT GETT'N ANY BETTER THEN THAT!!! ALL YOU SON'S OF B_ _ _ _ 'S!!!!

What an honor it was to march with you brothers!

Sincerely,

Your brother,

Jerry Hundt