Time for Someone to Move to Marching Band World

Well, you won't see any sax players showing up to audition on sax..UNTIL DCI decides to permit them, at which time a corps that wants to use them will be writing parts for them...so yes, at that point they would take them.

Exactly.

(See above.)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the criticism comes from outside the active ranks.

Most of the ticket sales, word-of-mouth publicity, and survivability of the activity comes from outside the active ranks.

Here's a thought:

Don't #### off your vast base of supporters and fans. Don't tell them, "Well, if you don't like it, then go away." Pretty soon, you'll have nobody who cares to watch, which will make it pretty pointless to perform at all.

I just have my reasons for my opinions, and they're no more (or less) valid than anyone else's.

You opinions are less valid than mine, becuase I said so.....JK

Yeah I initially said in my first post that I can fully understand why people dont want things to change (i.e. adding woodwinds and amps, and so forth) and I usually respect their reasons for feeling that way.

I have never really liked George Hopkins but I have gained a certian amount of respect for him as of late for sticking to his vision. Many people may not like what that vision is and it may be a bit self serving on his part as well, but I do respect his tenacity.

With all of this being said about the changes in DC I have not liked most of the shows that have had a ton of amps in them. But my reason for not liking these shows was not becuase they had amps or voclas but becuase they (IMO) were not well designed or in some cases not well balanced.

Edited by 90'sMelloguy

Exactly.

(See above.)

IMO, the "Brass Band Field Theater" (DCI) groups being talked about here, are of the Highest Quality level anyone could want. The "Evolution" is moving closer and closed to it's goal. "Super Band" as announced by the leader of the Cadets. The only part of what was once Drum and Bugle Corps, are some of the names of the groups. Yes, I believe they should always remember their past, BUT, it is just that "The Past". The change in Name is all that needed now.

Those involved are happy about the "Evolution". Well I say Good fo them. Move on. I jsut can not wait for the woodwinds. That surly will remove any doubt of what they are. Step by step. Your on your way.

Be Proud of you NEW , EVOLVED product. It is worthy of that. No one can take away from what you have invented. It is, as I said. "of the Highest Quality". Deserving of a New Name for itself.

"Brass Band Field Theater"

(I now step off Soap Box)

Drum Corps IS marching band.

But not all "marching bands" are drum corps.

We are all already in the "marching band world"

And because the two are so melded together, it will be less and less of a motivation for members to pay outrageous tour fees when they can get the same experience in their high school band. My high school band mimick drum corps in just about every way, not the other way around. The more like band it becomes, the more DCA gets my money, marching time and energy. Bands are just not that interesting to me, Drum corps is.

One can appreciate the past without wanting to get stuck there.

Why NOT sing into a mic if that is what the corps designes want to do, as it is legal?

As long as the person doing the singing CAN sing...sometimes it's pretty embarassing !!! :sshh:

Most of the criticism comes from outside the active ranks. The staffs, adjudicators, and members don't seem to have the same opinions that many of the older outside observers do. We all consider ourselves "involved" in the drum corps world if we pay admission fees, but if we're not the ones actually marching, putting a number on a sheet, or paying the bills for these corps, then we're just grumpy old men who sit around the pickle barrel at the country store wishing for the good old days. Of course it's different now, but so is everything else. Might as well criticize the internet for globalization... I thought not. Alternatively, you could instruct, judge, or administrate any of fine Div. I/II/III corps out there today who would love your informed assistance, not your criticism.

Not buying this debate stifling argument. If we didn't buy the tickets. souvies, drum corps could not survive. Without spectators there would be no reason to perform. Without the support of the fan, this thing we call drum corps would dry up and blow away just like the dust bowl days of this country. To underestimate the power of the alumni, and average spectator is foolish, and shortsighted. There was a time DCI did, and it almost cost the entire activity.

And because the two are so melded together, it will be less and less of a motivation for members to pay outrageous tour fees when they can get the same experience in their high school band. My high school band mimick drum corps in just about every way, not the other way around. The more like band it becomes, the more DCA gets my money, marching time and energy. Bands are just not that interesting to me, Drum corps is.

Bands copy drum corps becuase of their ingenuity not their instrumentation. If bands begin to become more creative than drum corps than guess who is going to copy whom.

Bands copy drum corps becuase of their ingenuity not their instrumentation.

Here's an analogy that I think can genuinely apply...

Over the last couple years, I've been trying to get myself into amateur car racing -- mostly autocross, some drag, and hopefully some circuit driving in the future.

A common misconception is to throw money at the car, adding modifications in hopes of running lower lap times. That's like changing a drum corps' instrumentation.

The best car modification is, as they say, "tightening the nut behind the wheel" -- the driver. Learning better technique and gaining skill will decrease lap times more effectively & consistently than any mechanical upgrade. That's like having good creative talent.

If they decide to make a rule that allows woodwinds to march, it doesn't mean that every corps will use them. It's just like amplification. Not every corps has or wants to use it. It is just an opportunity that is there as a possibility, not a requirement to compete.