What Went Wrong At DCI World Championships?

To say that Cavaliers brass package was "non-existant" would be as much a mis-statement as to say that Phantom was boring.

No. "Non-existant" woud mean that Cavaliers hornline did not play their instruments during the show. That is simply false. "boring" on the other hand, is an opinion and can be neither false nor true.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really thought I would say this, but the first thing that stands out to me is Carolina Crown. I thought their show was absolutely amazing and should have placed higher. I absolutely love Blue Knights music this year, but Crown just had a stellar performance.

As much as I was wanting Bluecoats to make top 3/4 this year, I don't think they had the performance to do it this year. I would have had Cadets, Vanguard, and probably Crown ahead of them. I remember after Bluecoats left the field last night, I turned to my group and said I thought Crown should probably beat them tonight.

Spirit really should have beaten Glassmen in my opinion, and I would have probably had Blue Devils over Phantom by .225 but down to Cavies by 1.5 for 2nd place.

Non scoring issues that went wrong in Madison, parking is a pain, with all the 2 hour parking, having to move your car during intermission was kind of a pain. And how bad was that stadium arranged? Trying to get into and out of the restrooms there is a pain. Having the souvie stands lines up there also seemed kind of a problem, they should have them lined up on the other side of the street so that there was more room to walk. Also that would not have allowed traffic to drive by there and annoy the people in the stands trying to listen to the shows. Also, to who ever was blasting corps music at the souvie stands during the small corps ballads, I am kind of disappointed. While I know you want to sell your goods, please don't play things so loud that those of us who paid $15 for our tickets can't hear the show(or parts of it)

And one thing that is also kind of annoying, is that reading this thread if one person simply states they don't care for the music Phantom Regiment is playing this year, people start jumping all over their back trying to argue out how great Phantoms music was. I remember this exact same thing from last year. I did not care for the Gershwin show at all. Out of the 24 DI corps, Phantom was my 19th favorite. There were 18 corps that I liked their music better. I have only listened to that show about 8 times since last August. I know that maybe I was in the minority in my opinion, but I really don't need to be told I am "wrong" in my opinion, or that I have something against Phantom. I simply didn't care for their musical selection, just as I didn't care for the Glassmen gershwin show in 2000. In fact I haven't enjoyed Gershwin much at all on the field minus the times corps have performed music from Porgy and Bess. I will also say that I really enjoyed Phantom's musical show this year. So one thing that bothers me about finals week, is why do people tend to take someones opinion on these boards, and try to make more it than there really is, and try to turn it into a Phantom vs Cavies discussion, especially to go so far as to cut and paste almost sentence for sentence and rebuttal every single thing.

Otherwise, great weather this week, wonderful shows from all the divisions, and a great week.

ON TOPIC::

I'll be 39 the next time finals will be in Madison...that's lame

Guizeppe

I hope you do not hold your breath at the 2018 DCI Championships waiting for the "Big" announcement that DCI will be anywhere but Indy. Got big doubts that is going to happen.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

Your logic is flawed.

I just find most classical shows unimaginative.

The juxtaposition of these two sentences is hysterical.

To echo someone way back......trying to cram 11 average-sized people into a space which the seats are numbered for 11 people, but is only in reality large enough for 6 people, quite sucks.

Your Cyrillic is actually spelled incorrectly!!! :worthy: This is correct: Рахманинов

uncle z

US Army Military Intelligence Corps

Russian Language Interpreter (83-86) :P

It's spelled that way in the score to "Isle of Death" of his that I have...

Go figure.

here's my rant:

BD should have kept the solo at the very beginning as a Trumpet solo.

Cavaliers should have won GE visual only

Phantom should have won GE music, and should have won Brass

BD should have won visual performance, and drums

Phantom should be the World Champion with Cavaliers/Blue Devils both in 2nd place.

DCI should revamp the GE caption judging...

BD should go back to G bugles

BD should switch to Yamaha horns

Indianapolis should not host the finals with the roof on... that roof better be retracted for the finals performance.

Woodwinds at I&E competition is just plain WRONG!!!!

DCI needs to up the quality of the live video feed on season pass.

Cavaliers music was boring

Phantom's music was exciting

again, Phantom Regiment should have won Finals.

Champion's Fanfare needs to go and bring back America/O'Canada.

Full retreats at EVERY SHOW!!!

DCI.org, Bluedevils.org, and Drumcorpsplanet.com need to not crash when i'm trying to find scores on finals night.

whew..

other than that, it was a GREAT YEAR!!!

BD in '07!!!!

Ha! The dogs were OK... the five bucks for the "Barbies" chocolate chip cookies was kind of a rip off... but they were good!

Seriously... The parking was a little rough... but I was able to find a good one near the stadium.

There was something funky going on with Crocker asking if the corps was ready and the corps saluting affirmative... and for

Well , no one has hit on the most important thing yet,,,,bad ,,,the beer wasn't cold at the Inn sometimes ,,,BUT it was cheap. And then there was the beer,,,which wasn't cold all the time ,,but it was cheap. Oh ,,I mentioned that already,,,, I think. Well at least the beer was cheap, and after a few ,,who cared if it was cold or not.

There was something going on at the stadium across the street too I think,,, some kind of "band thing" Awful noisy to drink to. :worthy:

I'll tell you what went wrong at finals this year in Madison. I tried to use my T pass on the Metro Metro-logo_small.jpg and they told me to take a hike! Had to shell out $3 for the ride and $ 4.75 to park at the Alliant Energy Center. Thought I was back in Foxboro for a minute with those prices.

I explained that I was a personal friend of Matt Amorello and Mitt Romney but that didn't work. I then tried my Patrick "Patches" Kennedy, "Do you know who I am!" rant and that didn't work either.

Otherwise, Saturday night was great!

T_Horiz_Logo_tag.jpg

Bleacher seating blows. Snide comments that everyone should lose weight, is fat, etc. causing seating to be uncomfortable. Other than that, everything was great.

:worthy::huh::worthy::worthy: WORD. Why the #### would UW spend all of that money to renovate a stadium and make the high-paying fans sit on bleachers?

What also sucks is that 30 yard line seating 20 rows up is NOT PREMIUM SEATING. FOr that price I expect to be able to see drill. I was ###### that I paid $150 a ticket for that. I am going to contact DCI about it.

And finally.........STOP YELLING AT YOUR FAVORITE PEEPS DURING SHOWS!!!

The deaf moment in Glassmen's show was ruined for everyone by a few A-holes. There was a lot of that going on in other shows as well. The recordings are screwed too. Thanks to a few who think they have the right to infringe on everyone else's enjoyment.

Obviously this should be 2 threads: What went Wrong.... and "Why I am more qulified than a DCI sanctioned judge to determine the placement of each corps down to the captions." Get over it people!