Was There a Worse Year for Entertaiment Value

Other entertaining shows:

Spirit, the Colts, Santa Clara, Madison, Carolina, CapReg. The only stuff I really sat on my hands for were the Blue Knights and Boston Crusaders. They can play like heck, but I don't really go nuts for them, nor do I find them "intellectually challenging." I think BK even conceded that it's "no concept, just music," which is admirable, but the music is hard to really get into. But it's hardly as if that's what every show is like, so no, I can't agree that this is the worst year for entertainment value.

Please again I mean no disrespect for the performers they are quality kids all of them...but the overall direction is going away from total entertaiment and towards playing for ourselves.................

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I shared my thoughts in an earlier thread so I won't repeat them here.

The "kids in corps today" unfortunatly are missing out on the very reason that I marched Madison in 1981...the crowd reaction. Todays corps kids are subjected to their self indulgent instructors wanting to write original compositions for their corps to play. Todays drum corps shows are like going to the symphony...polite applause. The music played today is cold & unemotional. Its all about playing as many notes as fast as you can. Big deal. Apparently, about 20,000 fans felt the same way Friday night during the Scouts alumnni performance. I know...I'm an old guy who is sour grapes. but it is disturbing to see this activity become high-brow & waaay too sophisticated.

I miss the drum corps traditions & the tear jerking closers, head chops, maypoles, loud horn lines & music that actually contains a melody. Todays corps have all abandoned their identity, & that is a shame. When I marched Scouts, our ENTIRE staff was Scout alumni...I don't think there is an alumnni member on the Scouts staff today, perhaps maybe 1 or 2, obviously, Sal is 1. Anyway, I certainly don't expect much to change, but wouldn't it be great to see a return to melody, volume, company fronts, & standing ovations???

Thanks to everyone in attendance Friday night. It was the greatest experience of my drum corps life, far outweighing any previous shows, victories, etc...

MYNWA

Though, of coors, the original poster is certainly entitled to his opinion, I found it quite the opposite. There were memorable shows and instant classics in quite a number of corps, many of which have already been mentioned here.

Gotta admit, now that the season is over, my favorite show this year was Phantom's. An emotional KILLER ballad in the Ave Maria, that made a mess of me when I heard it live. A drumline that could be their best ever. Hornline with exquisite balance and intonation. Early season visual dirt was cleaned up come Finals week, and they cooked the entire week.

Bluecoats' show was their best ever and had me pulling for their success all season long.

Cavaliers were their usual excellent selves, insane visuals, very nice music/visual/guard integration. Very deserving champions!

Blue Devils were usually on fire and packed a lot of excellence into their Godfather show. Love that guard!

Glassmen - an extremely entertaining and emotional show - this is my favorite G'men show ever - accessible and a lot of fun to watch, despite some of the dark subject matter.

Crown had attempted its most ambitious music and visual books I can remember, and performed them excellently!

SCV - what can I say? A late bloomer that pulled me right in the first time I saw the show late in the season. Everything that makes Vanguard special was made evident in their huge jump the last several days of the season.

Blue Knights brought out the best show I can remember from them.

And that's just the beginning. I could go on and on, but methinks readers get the picture. This olde doggie found a wealth of things to be deliriously happy about this season - I can't wait for the DVDs to come out!

AND - show me the way to the Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Project's DVD the minute it comes out - I'm all over that thing!!

All in all - one of my favorite seasons ever!! :worthy:

Edited by Gorgo

I thought this year was much more entertaining than last year. Sorry to hurt anyones feelings! Compared to last year when I can't really remember too many shows (loved SCV and BD, both of which didn't score well but entertained, and Phantom which rocked and medaled!), this year I thought for the most part top 12 packed a a great deal of entertainment value. Along with Crossmens show, which I really enjoyed and wish had at least made finals.

I thought it was, overall, a good year for entertainment value, realizing that whatever that means

(entertainment value) is NOT what it meant in the past.

Most Entertaining shows for me were:

1) Phantom Regiment (my favorite show since Scouts did JCS in '99)

2) Bluecoats (great variety, great ballad)

3) Spirit (again, great variety)

4) Scouts

5) Blue Devils (show really started to grow on me)

6) Cavaliers (especially visually)

7) Seattle Cascades

8) Capital Regiment

9) Pacific Crest

10) SCV

And, in a league of their own, the Madison Alumni Corps

Dude, I don't know what you were watching, but it wasn't 2006 DCI...at least it wasn't LIVE 2006 DCI. With only one exception (which I will respectfully omit), I thoroughly enjoyed EVERY show on finals night...even a couple I went in thinking I was going to hate (DANG! those Blue Knights were sweet!).

My advice to you...step away from the keyboard, go pick up your favorite DCI DVDs, watch them like a billion times, then try to come back to the ESPN broadcast with a new set of eyes. Like it or not, my friend, a new age is dawning...and it's FANTASTIC! If after getting some distance you still feel the same, maybe it's time to start searching for a new hobby.

Wow - I don't know what you were watching, either. This was a great year for drum corps up and down the line.

I was entertained by all 23 Division I corps plus many, many Division II & III corps, the Madison Alumni and the Marines. (Even Minnesota Brass was sounding pretty good in the DCI Marketplace.)

There was a lot of competition throughout the season and there was a lot of depth - it is getting increasingly hard just to make Semifinals, let alone Finals.

Maybe you need to try a different approach - there is a lot to like if you just look.