Why aren't The Cavaliers hated?

As the ancient slaves told the Roman conquerers; "Remember you are mortal, and all glory shall pass". The Cavs must have read that. It's the type of reminder that kinda keeps you on your toes. :)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate any corps. I like some better than others, though.

I've always liked the Cavaliers. But I'll always remember a visit to their rehearsal the weekend of the DCI management conference in November, 1980. I went to see the drumline (naturally, for me). I was welcomed into the room to watch (and pick brains, learn...VK had been inactive that year, but was coming back in 81)), and they actually invited me to step into the snare line for some excercises and a run through of "Sambandrea Swing." Even as a 24-year-old instructor, this was a thrill.

Did they have to do that? No, but it was something they did, and I'll always remember it.

My wife was a volunteer for the Cavaliers for several seasons. I've heard nothing but great things about the organization and it's members from her...and she's a Regiment alum!

Case in point. She was traveling with the Cavaliers in 1996. When Regiment tied with Blue Devils for the championship, they told her, "Go be with your corps." She protested, saying she was on staff there. They insisted. "No, that's your corps. You need to be there."

Every corps has it's moments of greatness and weakness. The Cavaliers aren't perfect. None of the corps are. But it's been our experience that Cavaliers have many, many more bright moments than dark ones.

Garry

Let me check.....

Yup, I still hate them.

At least you don't HOP them!

[snip]

Did they have to do that? No, but it was something they did, and I'll always remember it.

My wife was a volunteer for the Cavaliers for several seasons. I've heard nothing but great things about the organization and it's members from her...and she's a Regiment alum!

Case in point. She was traveling with the Cavaliers in 1996. When Regiment tied with Blue Devils for the championship, they told her, "Go be with your corps." She protested, saying she was on staff there. They insisted. "No, that's your corps. You need to be there."

[snip]

Hmmm, there are two sided to every story. That story only makes we wonder how annoying she was for some reason so much that some there evidently wanted to get rid of her. No dis on her Crunchy but your post sounded like sour grapes.

Hmmm, there are two sided to every story. That story only makes we wonder how annoying she was for some reason so much that some there evidently wanted to get rid of her. No dis on her Crunchy but your post sounded like sour grapes.

Wow. This post wins the award for farthest and least justified stretch ....

Really. Hard to believe the poster made that kind of leap, but . . . oh, well. :lol:

Not "Wow". WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

:blah:

Someone got lost in the Zone. Step back through the door man.

Well the only time I have experienced mass disrespect from another corps, it was the green team. I'm not going to rip on them. But I can't say that I'm 100% behind the "it's because they're a class act" argument.

As a member of various committees of the Cavaliers and friends with numerous board members I would like to hear what your experience was. If you wish, please E-mail me. I am sure if the people involved are still around it will be addressed.

Jeff and the board work hard to make sure that the Cavalier name has only positive acts attached to it. NO corps is perfect in this regard but some corps seem to try harder than others to certail such actions.

Now, with that being said, if you are an old time drum corps person and you are talking about something that happened back in the 50's or 60's, well, all I can say is that that was a different time and the activity was A LOT different back then. The Cavaliers were not the only corps that had some "bad apples" back then. What I mean by bad apples is guys that were from the mean streets of Chicago. It was the survival of meanest back then and 9 times out 10 we won.

I guess you would have to have first hand experience from inside the Cavaliers as support staff to know for certain that your supposition is completely out of line.

There is alot of ribbing exchanged between the Cavaliers and Regiment.. and from a support staff POV.. NONE of it has ever been anything but good natured.. we poke fun at each other.. the staff, the volunteers.. even the directors.. but sour grapes? Good heavens are you on the wrong trail!

I'll never say that every person in any organization is always going to represent that organization positively and in the way the administration wishes.. but in ALL corps, I think a bad experience is the exception, not the rule. I can't imagine what kind of experience you had to make you say something like that.. but I have to believe you chose to believe that's the norm.. particularly when there is such a volume of evidence to the contrary so readily available to disprove you.

If Cavaliers staff told her "go be with your corps" I'd lay dollars to donuts it was because everyone in that stadium that night knew exactly how monumental that moment was for Regiment and the activity.. and anyone standing within a five foot radius from a Regiment alum that night was looking at someone who's soul was with their corps right at that moment. Telling her it's okay to go be with her corps was out of respect for her, not because anyone was annoyed or didn't want her around.