DCI 10 years straight in INDY?

But 2014 is still open, must be some conflict in Indy...

Gen Con is already booked for that week...tens of thousands of convention-goers means there will be NO hotels open anywhere near downtown and it will be difficult to find housing in the perimeter of the city. So, the problem isn't with the stadium as I had thought originally, but with finding housing for the fans.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for this move.

I'm in NC so I'm nowhere near Indy (ten or so hours by car iirc) so no "hometown" bias here.

I've been going to Indy atleast once a year now for several years and abs love the town. I'm making two 'band related' trips up this fall. If I had to move somewhere else it'd be Indy hands down.

Everything you need is within walking distance of your hotel as long as you stay downtown.

Plenty of shopping (and a mall for the kids).

Plenty of great food (can I get a St. Elmo's shout out???).

Skywalks

Relatively cheap airport compared to some. I can get in and out of Indy for $200 most of the time. , Denver is way more, Cali is way more, Madison was $450, Foxboro would have been a more expensive trip than Indy b/c of location and Orlando *#()@*@)!&)&*$#)(

Any trip that allows me to be spend more quality time at my usual hang, Nicky Blaine's is fine by me.

Do those of you who have never been to a BoA Grand Nationals understand the logistics of that event in comparison to DCI Finals??? Ninety or so bands show up for BoA Grand Nats. Most of them with an obscene amount of props (JUNK), parents (many of whom are "certifiable"), tractor trailers, and students (not limited to 135 members). Grand Nats runs like clockwork all the time. If there's enough stuff to keep kids from a )*($ton of bands occupied every fall when it's butt-cold it's a fine enough city for you to check out.

BoA has been very involved with the planning of the new stadium ever since it was in the conceptual stage. If I'm not mistaken I saw a picture of the groundbreaking with Scott McCormick holding a shovel.

Chicken Littles fear not, DCI didn't lose it's mind and jump headfirst into an unknown situation.

Catch you guys at Rock Bottom in '08? ;)

Tooodles

-"GQ"

edited to add:

those of you who haven't worked as site staff for an event such as Grand Nationals/Finals/or anything where 50K people are involved can't fathom the huge amount of planning that has to go into such an event. Having to 're-invent the wheel' because every year is a different city/site/etc is such a large curve to overcome, putting Finals in the same place every year makes so much sense.

Edited by UNCGQ

I havent read every post....but has anyone mentioned 'home-court' advantage for the midwestern corps? *cough* madison 06 *cough* ^0^ ^0^

Silly, I know.

In seriousness, I think that its absolutely wonderful that there is a major city that is willing and eager to bring drum corps in the way that Indianapolis has. I really admire that.

But at the same time, I only wish that there could be a more centrally located city with the same passion for the marching arts that Indy has, so that I could have more of my west (best) coast family in attendance with me! (and a shorter flight).

Isee the pro's, I see the con's. Having said that, and being a former Indianapolis resident, I do think people that have never been there will be suprised at how nice the city is and how much there is to do. The weekend prior to the Championships will be the Brickyard 400 race, so thoose of us that like racing will be set.

As for the west corps, yes, this will be a downer... but before we had Denver and Pasadena, we had to make the trek across the country every year regardless. Nothing different than in previous years. I do think DCI should have staggard the championships, a year in Indy, a year out of Indy. Otr maybe two years in Indy, one year outside of Indy. That way we have some variety.

As for 2014, I know nothing has been decided but I would not be surprised if it was Madison or Denver.

The weekend prior to the Championships will be the Brickyard 400 race, so thoose of us that like racing will be set.

Not necessarily. NASCAR and IMS announced that, starting next year, the Brickyard 400 will be a week earlier than the historical "first weekend of August" date (July 29th next year). I haven't mapped that out with DCI, but I think it will normally have a 1 weekend gap.

BTW - for those coming back from the road, there is a lot of great discussion on this topic in the Indy announcement thread.

Not suggesting this thread be killed, just trying to help those that may have missed it.

You all keep talking about this from a fans point of view. Yes the fans usually hang out in the stadium and the bars, but what about us kids. What will we do for an entire week? I can only speak from what I have experienced, but usually we get free time during finals week. And going to the same place for 10 yrs will get very boring. Maybe they could have made finals in Indy in alternate years. But its not like we can change it. We all just have to get over ourselves and live with what has happened. In 2008 I age-out and its nice that finals will be closer to home then say Denver, but I fell sorry for all the kids that will spend most of their years going to Indy.

Last time I checked, when marching drum corps, one should be concerned with performing and competeing, not with "free time". From a kids perspective it's about having the largest crowd in front of you screaming thier ##### off for you. Free time is for day camp and fingerpaints.

Regional vs. Finals.

I hope I don't have to explain the difference.

But the problem people claim to have with Indy has nothing to do with the actual drum corps show. They complain because they don't want to travel to the same city and do the same things in that city every year. That complaint has nothing to do with what type of show it is.

And I have been in and performed in WGI Finals in Dayton more than a few times, and I have no problem with that being in the same city. San Diego sucked.

And on a side note, with gas prices and the costs of running a drum corps getting higher and higher every year, DCI has a lot more responsibility obtaining a stable, WELCOMING, drum-corps friendly area/city/stadium than it does to think about where people spend their vacations. If spending part of my summer in Indy means that corps can budget for the same length trip to finals, know the stadium better, have better relationships with schools in the area, etc than I am more than willing to make that small sacrifice. It's a shame others seem to care more about their vacation time than DCI making a very stabilizing move.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir