DCI 10 years straight in INDY?

You can fly into Chicago and drive to Indy then. It'd be similar to flying to Chicago and driving to Madison. Although I have to say that Southern Wisconsin is much prettier than Northwest Indiana.

or even fly into Cincinnati and drive to indy, I understand it's less than 2 hours.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mixed feelings about this so it’s more of a wait and see mode.

I like that is close to me now but I don’t like Indy. It will kill any sense of exploring a new town and dropping tons of bucks while I’m there taking in the sights and amenities, it will be more of an in and out sort of thing.

I’ve heard most of these promises before and never saw the pays off, yet again, they keep pushing the line.

This will be good for DCI and drum corp to have a host…yeah, just like Orlando. Where I ended up not attending due to several factors all related to the way the shows were run, some of the very few DCIs I missed. Why is DCI still not rolling from that roaring success?

Oh, Indiana has a great band program; it will be great for growth. Funny, back in 80 the reason cited for the lack of Drum Corps in Indiana was due to their great band program. But DCI does need to court new recruits due their consolidation, monopoly created by killing off the regional orgs and thusly, many of the regional feeder corps. Nice way to try and cover their tracks. This pandering to bands is so odd to me, I really don’t enjoy bands, I’ve seen one major band show and that was enough. They just are not the same.

I’m loyal to the corps and to drum corp, not to DCI. And yes, I know, DCI is the corps but still. My gut feeling is this will further alienate the moderate to casual fans and DCI will just continue to fest off the those loyal few who live and die drum corp. Will that be enough?

Of course, if they sell beer at the shows like they did at the RCA dome, much can be forgiven…a mild beer buzz is a great angst killer.

So we'll see, not gonna get too worked up about it til it happens and I see how it goes...but 10 years of having to go to Indy, you'll see...

If your are so loyal to drum corpS, do you think you could do the activity the justice of spelling its name correctly? :blink:

Guess what..fans like yourself will not fill the stands. Bands and band kids have been part of the picture for 25 years now.

DCI runs a great contest, and does its absolute best to be take in to account the wants and needs of all the parties involved.

Here's a good reason to go to Indy as often as you can for finals the next ten years or so....because it's FINALS and it's worth it! The best corps giving their best performances of the year in front of the largest crowd in a state of the art facility. Where do I sign up??

:)

Well, it depends on where you're coming from. I did a quick search from Sacramento, CA to Chicago, Philly, Boston, Buffalo, Orlando, Atlanta, and Indy, and Indy was the third cheapest, and only $14 away from being the cheapest.

Yes....I did notice it was actually cheaper to fly from Los Angeles to Indy than Philly/New York/Washington/Baltimore to Indy...go figure!

I love when people say there's not much to do in such and such a city so i'm not going to finals.

I totally love it when people bring this up. If I'm correct, DCI heard this argument liud and clear. They scheduled finals in arguably the most family friendly city with tons to do in the country. What happened? People actually booed Mickey Mouse. Not only thatm but, we had to endure three years of conspiracy theories about how "Disny was taking over DCI." I wonder where those people are now and if they'd be willing to be as loud mouthed about how wrong they were.

I totally love it when people bring this up. If I'm correct, DCI heard this argument liud and clear. They scheduled finals in arguably the most family friendly city with tons to do in the country. What happened? People actually booed Mickey Mouse. Not only thatm but, we had to endure three years of conspiracy theories about how "Disny was taking over DCI." I wonder where those people are now and if they'd be willing to be as loud mouthed about how wrong they were.

The booing of Mickey Mouse actually happened in 1995 in Buffalo/Orchard Park. Mickey was leading the corps out when the infamous incident happened. I was talking with two of the Disney folk afterwards. I was quite happy they had a sense of humor (can't think of what else to call it) about the incident. That might be the first time Mickey Mouse had ever been booed. I mean, that's like heckling Bambi's mother.

The booing of Mickey Mouse actually happened in 1995 in Buffalo/Orchard Park. Mickey was leading the corps out when the infamous incident happened. I was talking with two of the Disney folk afterwards. I was quite happy they had a sense of humor (can't think of what else to call it) about the incident. That might be the first time Mickey Mouse had ever been booed. I mean, that's like heckling Bambi's mother.

I'm glad to hear they had a good sense of humor about it. I thought it was down right embarassing. Here Disney was, stepping up to the plate and really helping out the activity, and the fans showed their gratitude with jeers. Sad, just sad. Disney's involvement is so "behind the scenes" in DCI, it's almost funny.

Not everyone likes Disney.

After all, their "Mickey Mouse Club" did give us Britney, Xtina, Justin Timberlake and Fergie ("My Humps") from the Black Eyed Peas. :P

If I were you, I'd be ashamed to admit that I knew that.

Little League World Series

College World Series

WGI

BOA

DCA was in Rochester and Allentown for a hot minute...then Scranton for a long time

...to name a few :P

DCA in Scranton: 91-95, 02-05

DCA in Allentown: 82-87, 89-90, 97-99

DCA in Rochester: 68-71, 73-76, 96, 06