Rumor has it...

I was told by a DCI official of the plans for the tour...and man is the WEST going to get some GREAT shows out here before Pasadena. DCI is banking BIG time on this tour and championships to be the end-all of championships.

Div II and III WILL get some mighty fine shows as well--one place in particular (crossing my fingers and hoping I get to be part of the show) is going to be a STELLAR LOCATION for a Div II/III show for ANY corps, but especially for those coming from back east. They'll get a great idea of why southern California is The Promised Land if we can secure this site.

HINT: For those that know my history, this site was the scene of the famous PA system foobar where I actually had to go outside of the pressbox and for 2 corps (Freelancers and SCV) had to YELL "Are the judge's ready....Drum majors is your corps ready!!!!....". Really.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being "in the know" myself, does anybody feel that ECJ would be in direct competition for membership with BAC? They practice only a couple of miles apart.

eh, not so much. Most of Boston's rehearsals are conducted in Florida. However, I will say that competing for members between ECJ, Spartans, and Surf probably happens. Espcially ECJ and Spartans. a majority of their members that I know come from MA, not NH. who knows. Surf is the only one out of the 3 that has produced nearly full corps. Spartans have probably gotten up to 110ish, and ECJ around 90.

eh, not so much. Most of Boston's rehearsals are conducted in Florida. However, I will say that competing for members between ECJ, Spartans, and Surf probably happens. Espcially ECJ and Spartans. a majority of their members that I know come from MA, not NH. who knows. Surf is the only one out of the 3 that has produced nearly full corps. Spartans have probably gotten up to 110ish, and ECJ around 90.

I think Surf probably has alot more competition for members with Crossman, who rehearse in the South Jersey area not too far from where Surf rehearses, and Readiing Bucs. I don't think Surf gets any members from that far north, although they have had members from as far south as North Carolina.

Don't pay any attention to Mr Malambo13. This is the same guy that on June 6th said he would take any bet that the Blue Stars wouldn't make semifinals. Mr infinate wisdom.

Well, before the season started...I dont think many people would have disagreed.

Making semifinals has become quite the accomplishment with the quality of corps todya.

Moving to Division 1 will hurt whoever will decide to move up.

Unless they can grab the bull by the horns and pave a way to success immediately.

People would rather join a well-faring finalist division 2 corps than a division 1 that end their season in Quarterfinals.

Magic is a testament to that. They made finals their first year back on Division 1 but they've progressively fell out of the competition in later years.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race, true. But moving up a division, no matter how prepared you are, is a massive change.

In sum, you had better kick ### immediately if you want to move up.

I'm not on the inside so take what I say with a grain of salt...but I think Magic would have been able to sustain its finals standins had it been able to keep the killer staff that they had the two years that they returned to finals.

Magic falling back is probably more finance and infrastructure then anything else.

Not true, PC practices right up the street from my house so I've been to a few rehearsal where they've had more poeple than horns. (Quarters - One and done)

Vs. Impulse which has made D2/3 finals the last few years (3 performances) yet still could get more than 22 horns to march. There are people who will ONLY march D1 regardless.

I agree - we see exodus from Div II corps to Div corps all the time. Div I is viewed by many as the big time, "the show" so to speak. To give a sports analogy, many would rather be on the Dodgers in a losing season than one of their lewer minor league teams who wins the whole schebang.

Unfair but reality for many. There are many others though who stick thru thick and thin and dedicate themselves to their corps.

Dad

Well, before the season started...I dont think many people would have disagreed.

Making semifinals has become quite the accomplishment with the quality of corps todya.

I agree with you there. It is a great accomplishment to make semifinals. And there probably were a number of people that didn't think it was possible.

I just wonder how Mr Malambo13 was so sure that he would take anyone's bet. Go back and look at his posts. The guy is constantly trolling and trying to dig up controversy. I wonder which corps he is affiliated with?

As Blue Stars are about to find out...it has proved easier for the first year in Div, I than subsequent years. Look at the Magic, Seattle Cascades, Capital Regiment, Mandarins. All had huge first years in Div. I and have struggled to impress after that.

With a huge trip to Pasadena awaiting them, this could prove to be an interesting off season for many corps.

Tom Brace

I do not believe that Blue Star "is about to find out". With the staff they have, and the level of member talent that came in from top corps this past year and that plans to return, next year should be another pleasant surprise for all. JMHO.

BINGO!

After 27 posts...someone hit the two corps on the nose. Makes sense in each case. Bob Jacobs is now Marketing Director for DCI and Academy can go in 07 or wait until 08 as they have the Drum Corps world traveling their direction already next year...

So you know that Surf and Academy are both going DIV 1? Surf has never toured more than the last two weeks of the season, and they are going DIV 1? This rumor pops up every other season. I am not an insider, but Surf has been a weekends only corps for 16 years now. Just because they feild a large corps doesn't mean they want to go DIV 1.

My bet is NO corps move from DIV 2/3 to DIV 1 this season..