Phantom - Cavaliers Retreat

I have seen the video and pictures of Regiment playing "Elsa" to the Cavaliers at retreat... but was wondering if anyone involved could share their story of what took place and how it evolved? I am curious becuase I know that DCI has been VERY stern on corps leaving the field in recent years, mainly due to curfews and stadium commitments. The years when I worked the TV crews for Championships, Dan A. and crew were out on the field chasing kids off. Hearing about Regiment playing the Cavaliers off caught me by surprise. Did DCI have anything to say about it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did DCI have anything to say about it?

What is DCI gonna do? Penalize Regiment?

DCI has destroyed what used to be a retreat with class and tradition in favor of shaving a few extra minutes of the time at the biggest show of the year. Stupid.

DCI has destroyed what used to be a retreat with class and tradition in favor of shaving a few extra minutes of the time at the biggest show of the year. Stupid.

Amen Brother...couldn't have said it better

and Nope they didn't say anything to Regiment from what i could remember, as I think Phantom was playing Elsa Procession to Cavies while some other corps were still to have left the field.

Considering most places with stadiums have noise ordinances these days it's the only way to do it. The winning corps barely even has time to do their encore anymore (especially when corps hang around on the field forever anyway)

I have seen the video and pictures of Regiment playing "Elsa" to the Cavaliers at retreat... but was wondering if anyone involved could share their story of what took place and how it evolved? I am curious becuase I know that DCI has been VERY stern on corps leaving the field in recent years, mainly due to curfews and stadium commitments. The years when I worked the TV crews for Championships, Dan A. and crew were out on the field chasing kids off. Hearing about Regiment playing the Cavaliers off caught me by surprise. Did DCI have anything to say about it?

Regiment played while the tunnel was blocked with another corps exiting.

During the rest of retreat, Regiment was among 4 or so corps who actually stayed at attention or parade rest for the entire thing and didn't just relax after the winners were announced and corps were asked to leave the field. The only time they broke was to arc up and play to the champions.

I don't really mind the way the rest of retreat is.. but I wish more corps would offer this sign of respect to the winning corps before they exit. They take their time getting out anyway.. why not take a couple minutes, line it up, face the winner and play?

I don't think DCI has to "mandate" that.. there's time to do it while they're waiting to exit the field. I wish more corps would.

Regiment played while the tunnel was blocked with another corps exiting.

During the rest of retreat, Regiment was among 4 or so corps who actually stayed at attention or parade rest for the entire thing and didn't just relax after the winners were announced and corps were asked to leave the field. The only time they broke was to arc up and play to the champions.

I don't really mind the way the rest of retreat is.. but I wish more corps would offer this sign of respect to the winning corps before they exit. They take their time getting out anyway.. why not take a couple minutes, line it up, face the winner and play?

I don't think DCI has to "mandate" that.. there's time to do it while they're waiting to exit the field. I wish more corps would.

100% agreed.

I think 2nd place playing to 1st was a long standing Phantom tradition, I'm not positive and can't remember. I just remember going to take pictures with people and coming back and people starting to arc it up.

I am not sure if it is a Regiment tradition or used to be one in general.

I know when we finished 2nd in 89 we played to SCV. (our whole show if I recall correctly)

I think 2nd place playing to 1st was a long standing Phantom tradition, I'm not positive and can't remember. I just remember going to take pictures with people and coming back and people starting to arc it up.

Is that because we're so used to coming in second place? :blink:

Heh heh...I don't think it is a long standing Regiment tradition...I don't remember it from the days I marched...but of course back then, we always played toward the corps that beat us at Finals (in effect, playing toward the champion, even though some years it was through a sea of corps).

I miss the old retreat ceremony. I swear, if I ever win that World Series of Poker, not only am I giving Regiment the "Star of Indiana" treatment, I'm going to form a rival league to DCI called USDC. Hey, the NFL had the AFL and USFL, the NBA had the ABA, and in MLB you had the AL and the NL...and yes, I know that someone is going to point out that most of those "rival" leagues failed...it's true. However, some were simply "subsumed" into the other league, along with the innovations and changes they brought.

On my top 12 of priorities for my new league (keep hoping I win the lotto or find out I'm Bill Gates' long-lost nephew) will be to bring back retreats.

Considering most places with stadiums have noise ordinances these days it's the only way to do it. The winning corps barely even has time to do their encore anymore (especially when corps hang around on the field forever anyway)

Nonsense. If the corps actually played themselves off the field in an orderly fashion, trooping past the winner one-by-one like they always used to do, the champion would probably be able to begin their encore performance sooner than they do now.