Troopers—Legends Never Die

It would be awesome if some of the "Super Corps" would send some of their "rejects" (forgive my politically incorrect term) who don't quite cut it at tryouts to the Troopers.

Wouldn't it be cool if there were some of the stars in these top 12 corps who would see it as a challenge to go help them field a full corps of top notch talent? Sort of like an expansion team in the NFL where they get to "draft" (so to speak) some players from other teams. That's why, on another thread, if I had five years to march again I'd go to the Troopers—call it a challenge. Yeah, it would be great to don a Regiment uniform and have a shot at winning it all, but there's something exciting about the idea of a joining a founding corps and seeing them go from rags to riches.

I hope they get aggressive in their recruiting, both in staff and in members. Also, I hope they modernize, but also provide us with a show that we can't help but stand for. I know I'll be standing as soon as they take the field. I can't wait to see people waiving the cross saber flags.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing with the Troopers is not a fact of having talent, it was proven when many members made finals corps in 2006. just to point everything out, there were members at Phantom, BD, Bluecoats, Boston, and BK, then making everything great, there were members in Blue Stars and Colts too. there were members all over the place, but having people make finalist corps kind of proves that the talent was there. the fact that we were using G horns and had a total of 85 members in quarterfinals set us back quite a bit. and after talking to mike ottoes and fred morris, everything is moving in the direction of setting everything up to become a consistent finalist corps yet again.

the thing with the Troopers is not a fact of having talent, it was proven when many members made finals corps in 2006. just to point everything out, there were members at Phantom, BD, Bluecoats, Boston, and BK, then making everything great, there were members in Blue Stars and Colts too. there were members all over the place, but having people make finalist corps kind of proves that the talent was there. the fact that we were using G horns and had a total of 85 members in quarterfinals set us back quite a bit. and after talking to mike ottoes and fred morris, everything is moving in the direction of setting everything up to become a consistent finalist corps yet again.

Yeah, I heard they were purchasing new instruments. That is fantastic! And, Fred Morris is a real find with his connections to Bluecoats, maybe he can bring some contacts to the Troopers that will be beneficial.

What I was saying, wasn't that the talent they had was poor, but that the talent they had wasn't enough. This kind of ties into that whole discussion going on about how big does a corps have to be to compete. The Trooper's horn line back in 86 (the last year they made finals) was the largest in DCI and they were quite good (if memory serves me).

My thinking was only how cool it would be to see the vast pools of talent fill in the gaps and bring some experience to the corps rather than filling in the gaps with new recruits that are 15 and 16 years old.

I'm not sure how you'd "modernize" an 1870's vintage uniform. After all, wasn't it technically outdated in 1957?

Seeing the Troopers in anything different just wouldn't be...well...the Troopers.

Garry

I'm not sure how you'd "modernize" an 1870's vintage uniform. After all, wasn't it technically outdated in 1957?

Seeing the Troopers in anything different just wouldn't be...well...the Troopers

I dunno, there was a touch of discussion about uniforms over at the Troop mesage board and someone mentioned a camo/army ranger type of thing... I don't think that the corps would actually choose to go away from the traditional 11th Cav design, but I got kinda excited thinking about the possibilities. (This was just us shooting the breeze and was in no way official anything. :) )

IIRC, the Troopers' horn line in 1985 was about 54 members. In 1986 it was 62. Garfield that year marched something like 74 horns.

IIRC, the Troopers' horn line in 1985 was about 54 members. In 1986 it was 62. Garfield that year marched something like 74 horns.

Garfield marched 84 horns in 1986.

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM