Little known drum corps facts

The Mello soloist for Crown 99 was only a member of the corps for the last 10 days of that season. He posts on this board :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bergenfield HS, of course! :P

"Troopers Burst":

Don Angelica was indeed responsible for a great deal of the success of the Casper Troopers. Howver: The "Circle Burst" did not come from him. It was the 'brainchild' of Chicagoan Rick Maas, and was "first" used by his Norwood Park Imperials in the late 1950s.

Jim Jones, the Troopers founder director saw Norwood's "circle" at the VFW Nationals in 1962 and grafted it into the Troopers already deadly Marching & Manuvering program in 1963. The "Circle" was expanded upon and it grew into the "Trademark" Trooper drill move. "Bergenfield HS" may well have used it, but they did not, nor did Don Angelica "Invent" it.

Another little known fact is the success of the Casper Troopers "Winter Guard" is traceable to the old Rockford Phantom Regiment's "Phantomette's" floor guard of the early 1960s. Alex Haddad was the corps director and guard instructor, and the style of drill he taught to the Phantomettes was incorprated into the Troopers color guard which went on to win numerous titles at the National and regional level, including a "Threepeat" in the MidWest Color Guard Circuit, at that time the premier winter guard circuit of the day.

Elphaba

The popular bass drum mallet holders sold by Pearl and Yamaha started out as broom holders. Each clip was big enough to hold two broom/mops. Two sets just happened to fit perfectly on a marching bass to allow for two sets of mallets. The first corps I saw using these was The Cadets, and in 1990 we finally found them around Chicago in a local hardware store. Two years later Pearl was selling them. They work great for brooms, but better for bass mallets! Mallet Holders

p.s. They are cheaper when sold as broom holders, but home depot doesn't sell them anymore.

We, Oaklands, had those in 1977, it's not so new.

Regards,

John Swartz

"Troopers Burst":

Don Angelica was indeed responsible for a great deal of the success of the Casper Troopers. Howver: The "Circle Burst" did not come from him. It was the 'brainchild' of Chicagoan Rick Maas, and was "first" used by his Norwood Park Imperials in the late 1950s.

Jim Jones, the Troopers founder director saw Norwood's "circle" at the VFW Nationals in 1962 and grafted it into the Troopers already deadly Marching & Manuvering program in 1963. The "Circle" was expanded upon and it grew into the "Trademark" Trooper drill move. "Bergenfield HS" may well have used it, but they did not, nor did Don Angelica "Invent" it.

That is not how it was explained to me 35 years ago...and confirmed a few times since.

"Troopers Burst":

Another little known fact is the success of the Casper Troopers "Winter Guard" is traceable to the old Rockford Phantom Regiment's "Phantomette's" floor guard of the early 1960s. Alex Haddad was the corps director and guard instructor, and the style of drill he taught to the Phantomettes was incorprated into the Troopers color guard which went on to win numerous titles at the National and regional level, including a "Threepeat" in the MidWest Color Guard Circuit, at that time the premier winter guard circuit of the day.

Elphaba

Actually - even this account is somewhat off-kilter. Somewhere in our archives, we have the original 1960 (or maybe 1961) drill Mr. Jones wrote for the corps (on 1 single sheet of legal paper, I might add) and this sheet clearly showed the circle expansion - later dubbed, the "sunburst".

Now, I will confirm that the concept is NOT original to the Troopers, but from where exactly Mr. Jones got it, remains somewhat of a mystery. There is a true legend that will never die.

Brandt Crocker has announced every DCI Division I finalist corps except one performance, the winning Anaheim Kingmen in 1972. The reason is contest director Bob Briske came up to him during World Finlals that first year and said he would announce Kingsmen if Brandt wanted to see them from atop the press box. If you listen to the introductions, you'll hear the difference in voices.

Mike - I have the 1982 records here at home, and I swear the announcer has a very thick French accent? Can't be Brandt... can it?

Did you know that the voice on the 2006 Cinecast trailer is the same guy who does those great Budwiser "Real Men of Genius" ads on the radio?

The gentlemans name is Pete Stacker. He is a well known voice over artist in the Chicago area. He does work for movies, television and radio.

http://www.petestacker.com

Click on the AVO link... you will be surprised at how many different "voices" he has! I think I might have worked with Pete indirectly on a couple of occasions (through previous employers that used his voiceover work)... if he is who I think he is, Pete is one of the funniest and nicest men you will ever meet!

Edited by Newseditor44

For those who marveled at the innovation - justifably so I might add - of the MOVING BLOCK drill components by the likes of the Cavaliers - the Toronto Optimists was the first with the MOVING BLOCK for their OTL back in 1963. Most things change over time - but not everything !

Mike - I have the 1982 records here at home, and I swear the announcer has a very thick French accent? Can't be Brandt... can it?

I believe you are correct. I think finals were in Montreal in 1982.