Little known drum corps facts

The Cavaliers OTL in 1983, their 35th anniversary, was a original piece called "Jade" written especially for the corps..........................by Mr. Michael Boo.

~G~

You are correct. And it was so successful, the corps turned symphonic the next year and never looked back. And this holder of a masters degree in music composition hasn't seen the light of the Division I field since. (Of course, I have been mildly distracted by writing of a different nature. But if a Division II & III corps was looking for an arranger, I'd love to talk with them.) By the way, "Jade" is the gift given for a 35th anniversary, like silver is to 25th and gold is to 50th.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike - I have the 1982 records here at home, and I swear the announcer has a very thick French accent? Can't be Brandt... can it?

Well, he doesn't have a French accent. I'll have to clarify this with him. I'm writing him an e-mail now. I'll ask about Phily 1975 as well.

The Freelancers movie was "Chatanooga Choo Choo" with Joe Namath and Barbara Eden.

The CMCC Warriors were in a movie called "Brewsters Millions" with Richard Pryor and John Candy.

The Kips Bay Knights Club were in the Allanis Morrisette video for Hand in my Pocket.

The Bluecoats were shown on national television during every NFL football game during the 1985 NFL season.

The Long Island Kingsmen did the national television commercial that introduced Diet RC Cola, and they did a Macy's commercial advertising the fourth of July fireworks in NYC that ran for several years.

Unless Brandt Crocker developed a mean Boston accent in '75, I believe finals that year were also announced by another. I'm thinking it was Dom.....someone or another (he passed away in the late 70s or early 80s). Perhaps a Boston area alum will know who I'm talking about.

Okay, I have it here directly from the man himself, Brandt Crocker.

The fact I shared about Brandt announcing all the corps in 1972 except the winning Anaheim Kingsmen is correct. (Contest Director Bob Briske came to him and suggested he go up to the top of the press box to watch at least one corps, and they ended up winning.)

In 1974, Chicago classical radio announcer Jim Unrath (also a brass judge) announced in Ithaca.

In 1975, the executive assistant to the Mayor of Philadelphia did the announcing due to City Hall's involvement in bringing the World Championships to town.

In Montreal the first year (1981), Brandt's microphone cord to his translator was broken and the translator couldn't do his part. The scores were shown on the Jumbotron in both English and French, but this created a brouhaha in the Quebec Parliament...so much so that in 1982, Brandt wasn't even allowed to touch the microphone. (Sounds wacky, but it's a true story.)

In 1985, the first year we were in Madison, a radio station had donated $10,000 to DCI and insisted their number one disc jockey announced Finals.

With the exception of Montreal in 1982, Brandt has announced all of Prelims as well. No wonder we consider him "The Voice of DCI."

The Long Island Kingsmen did the national television commercial that introduced Diet RC Cola, and they did a Macy's commercial advertising the fourth of July fireworks in NYC that ran for several years.

Members from the Niagara Regionaires Senior Drum Corps from St. Catharines, ON were asked to be the rah rah band for Martin Sheen as he ran for office in the original movie 'The Dead Zone' starring Christopher Walkin. The segment was filmed in Niagara-on-the-Lake and as the camera pans over the drum line you can just catch one of the drummers smirking at the camera..... even though they were told over and over again not to look at the cameras.

kel

You are correct. And it was so successful, the corps turned symphonic the next year and never looked back. And this holder of a masters degree in music composition hasn't seen the light of the Division I field since. (Of course, I have been mildly distracted by writing of a different nature. But if a Division II & III corps was looking for an arranger, I'd love to talk with them.) By the way, "Jade" is the gift given for a 35th anniversary, like silver is to 25th and gold is to 50th.

Wasn't that also the year that the drum guy got rid of their quads because he believed triples were "the future" of multi-tenors?

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Okay, I have it here directly from the man himself, Brandt Crocker.

The fact I shared about Brandt announcing all the corps in 1972 except the winning Anaheim Kingsmen is correct. (Contest Director Bob Briske came to him and suggested he go up to the top of the press box to watch at least one corps, and they ended up winning.)

In 1974, Chicago classical radio announcer Jim Unrath (also a brass judge) announced in Ithaca.

In 1975, the executive assistant to the Mayor of Philadelphia did the announcing due to City Hall's involvement in bringing the World Championships to town.

In Montreal the first year (1981), Brandt's microphone cord to his translator was broken and the translator couldn't do his part. The scores were shown on the Jumbotron in both English and French, but this created a brouhaha in the Quebec Parliament...so much so that in 1982, Brandt wasn't even allowed to touch the microphone. (Sounds wacky, but it's a true story.)

In 1985, the first year we were in Madison, a radio station had donated $10,000 to DCI and insisted their number one disc jockey announced Finals.

With the exception of Montreal in 1982, Brandt has announced all of Prelims as well. No wonder we consider him "The Voice of DCI."

I thought my 1987 LPs sported a different announcer than Crocker....

DID YOU KNOW...

Someone from Blue Stars help me out with this. How many years did a Furlano serve as drum major of the corps?

1982-2001

there were 3 furlanos that were drum majors

Brad 1982-1993

Bruce 1994- 1997

Brandon 1998-2001

those are just the years they were drum major!!

Edited by bscontra

I've been holding off on a Fanfare article from someone who claims to be the first Bones, but we have no photographic proof. I'd love to get to the bottom of this and give credit where credit is due if that's the case, as I hope it is.

He says he did not wear a mask and showed up with a cape in Allentown in 1978, staying up in the backfield bleachers (that no longer exist) only as long as Crossmen's on-field warm-up took place.

There is a photo taken by Ed Ferguson for Drum Corps World that is on the Crossmen alumni website, dated 1979, mentioning that it very well could be the first photo ever taken of Bones.

If anyone has a photo from Allentown 1978, that would be wonderful.

This photo was taken in 1978...

bones78.jpg

This one was in the 1978 Crossmen year book;

Bones78.jpg