When will the Bluecoats win their championship?

When will the bluecoats win their championship?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. What year will it be

• 2010+
    • Never

Dude, don't try to tell me what I read. He said he thinks the show is BOA, and as an EXACT quote, that "Their problem is that they look like John Doe High School Marching Band".

If you can spin that into a complement, then you're trying to. I'll take it for what it actually says.

I'm old enough to remember when calling someone's corps a band would be the quickest way to a fistfight.

Well....I'M old (and mature) enough to understand that corps IS band, and vice versa. Different circuits with different memberships, different insturmentations and some different rules, and certainly a different "flavor"...but we both do the same thing. Can we just accept that and move on? I'm not so young or naive to think that Drum Corps = good and Marching Band = bad. That is just silly.

My comment was neither a compliment nor an insult. It was an observation...an opinion. I feel the Bluecoats lack a certain amount of drum corps "flavor"...they seem to capture more of a marching band flavor than most other drum corps. And to be ultimately successful in drum corps, well...I'm not sure that would is working in their favor.

M

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Steve. "Be aware of your drifiting tendencies and be sure to compensate accordingly. And...umm...cover down???? HUHUHUHUH."

Bingo. It's not about being good. It's about being better than everyone else...at the same time. This year they were better than Cadets and SCV, but not BD Cavies or Phantom. Next year one of those corps might have an off year, but I would bet Cadets or SCV make progress. Whenever one corps has a bad year, the rest usually don't.

So the question really is, when will Phantom, Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets and Santa Clara all have an off year at the same time?

EDIT: I don't mean to rip on the Bluecoats. I love that corps, but this is the same kind of thing when talking about any corps moving up. Like the thread about Academy, everyone seems to think that the only factor is how a corps places is their own level of excellance. But what really matters is everyone else's level of excellance. To move up, somone else always has to move down.

I really hate this point of view. Even if this has happened to some degree in the past, it does not apply to Bluecoats. That is a just a way for people to cheapen what the Bluecoats have achieved. The Bluecoats are where they are because they worked hard and fought their way up. Other corps sucking did not play a significant role. Watch every Bluecoats show in consecutive order from 2000 to present day. Anybody with eyes and ears can observe the amazing level of improvement. To me it looks like you're saying that any corps that gets beaten by the Bluecoats automatically had a crappy year. That's not fair. The Bluecoats' placement is an acheivement on their part, not the downfall of other corps.

Wow, imagine how much other corps would have to suck for Bluecoats to move up 8 places in 6 years without improving!! :lolhit:

Newer Corps who have a breakout year and get into the top 5 for the first time overwhelmingly then find themselves falling out of the top 5 in coming years, than we find them rising up from the 4th or 5th position to win it all. If DCI History is any guide to us, by 2010, the Bluecoats will be more apt to be fighting to stay in the top 12, or even survive as a Corps, than make a serious run for First place. There have been lots of Corps that have had a wonderful year or two rising to the 4th to 6th place positions..... Then disappeared a few years later.

Ok, you have a valid point, but it does not pertain to the Bluecoats at all. First of all, they are not a new corps. They've been around for 34 years, and have a darn good competative history. Making finals for 20 years straight with the exception of one year is something not just any corps can achieve.

Now, as far as where the Bluecoats are now. You mention other corps who had a wonderful season or two to land them in the top 5. But that doesn't apply either. The Bluecoats are not like some other corps who did it suddenly. They didn't just blink their eyes one year and say "holy crap, we're in 4th place!" Since 1999 they have improved in placement every single year except 2003 (and even in that year they didn't move down). They jumped four places in 2001 and then climbed one place a year until they were in 4th. You know what that demonstrates that certain other 4th/5th place corps did not? Consistancy!!! That is vital, and gives the Bluecoats a better chance than most 4/5th place corps to keep climbing and eventually win a championship. I'm not swearing on my immortal soul that it will happen, but I just wanted to point out that it isn't fair to compare them to other corps.

Christopher, why are you so upset? Get off these forums and go find Kim. She's still looking for you.

Not really upset, just slightly annoyed.

I will defend my Blue team's honor! GRRRR! Feel my wrath! :lol:

P.S.: Who is this Kim, and why should I leave the forums to find her?

i clicked never

I have no idea when, but they are getting up there. I see it happened before 2010, though. Gotta support my man's corps, too!

Spirit

Bridgemen

Troopers

Blue Stars

Is there a corps since the inception of DCI that has made top 4 and not gone on to win a title at some point? I know there have been plenty of 5th place corps like that, but not sure about 4th place corps.

Duh, forgot about 27th. They sinished 4th 3 times. Forgot. Anybody else?