When will the Bluecoats win their championship?

When will the bluecoats win their championship?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. What year will it be

• 2010+
    • Never

It's interesting to see if it will happen.

Being in the "top 4" and the direction they're going seems like there might be a ring in the future

They still need to develop and solidify their identity before they might become a serious contender...and that will still take years to happen. Look at Cadets, Phantom, Cavies and Blue Devils. 4 corps, 4 WILDLY different identities. You can throw SCV in there too. I think Blue Kights, Crossmen, the New Crown and maybe even Boston have better developed identities than Bluecoats do. They need an updated uni (something a bit more unique...I personally liked the more fitted navy blue from '94...). They need to take some risks and bring more to the table in terms of innovation and forward thinking. An edge. They feel almost too wholesome or something...

I also think Mitch is a great drill writer, with lots of neat ideas. But sometimes their shows feel like a string of neat ideas and, well, not much else. There seems to be a piece of coordination or continuity that is missing from their visual design. Too many cherries and sprinkles and not enough quality ice-cream, if you will.

But I think they'd win BOA in 2007 in a heartbeat. That isn't really a slam, though i'm sure I'll hear about it. Their problem is that they look like John Doe High School Marching Band...a very, VERY good one, but they just don't have that "it" factor yet.

just my humble opinion...

M

Edited by OMello1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They still need to develop and solidify their identity before they might become a serious contender...and that will still take years to happen. Look at Cadets, Phantom, Cavies and Blue Devils. 4 corps, 4 WILDLY different identities. You can throw SCV in there too. I think Blue Kights, Crossmen, the New Crown and maybe even Boston have better developed identities than Bluecoats do. They need an updated uni (something a bit more unique...I personally liked the more fitted navy blue from '94...). They need to take some risks and bring more to the table in terms of innovation and forward thinking. An edge. They feel almost too wholesome or something...

I also think Mitch is a great drill writer, with lots of neat ideas. But sometimes their shows feel like a string of neat ideas and, well, not much else. There seems to be a piece of coordination or continuity that is missing from their visual design. Too many cherries and sprinkles and not enough quality ice-cream, if you will.

But I think they'd win BOA in 2007 in a heartbeat. That isn't really a slam, though i'm sure I'll hear about it. Their problem is that they look like John Doe High School Marching Band...a very, VERY good one, but they just don't have that "it" factor yet.

just my humble opinion...

M

Yikes! Okay, I don't know what corps you were watching this year. I thought it was one of the most "drum corps" drum corps shows out there this year. High school band? There WERE some shows with some BOA bando nonsense this year, but Bloo's show wasn't one of them.

As for the corps having an identity, I'm also not sure why I hear this complaint leveled at the corps. Someone needs to explain to me what they mean by "identity", what these other corps do to have it, and why the Bluecoats don't. I, personally, am very proud of the identity the corps has, and that they are still a drum corps, unlike some of the other stuff I see out there.

There was a day that music was first in DCI, and that is where a corps' identity came from. But maybe that day is not gone, as Bloo and PR still seem to be primarily about the music. I, quite frankly, prefer this approach.

As to when they will win, I give 'em two more seasons.

Yikes! Okay, I don't know what corps you were watching this year. I thought it was one of the most "drum corps" drum corps shows out there this year. High school band? There WERE some shows with some BOA bando nonsense this year, but Bloo's show wasn't one of them.

He wasn't using BOA as the typical insult that its normally used as in drum corps circles. He's just saying in a rather unconventional way that they're at a very high level of competition. Nothing wrong with that. There's many great things going on at BOA. And here's something to think about. The 2005 BOA championship show was far more less "BOA" than a few of the drum corps shows in 2005 and 2006.

There was a day that music was first in DCI, and that is where a corps' identity came from. But maybe that day is not gone, as Bloo and PR still seem to be primarily about the music. I, quite frankly, prefer this approach.

I don't think that's the best approach, and I certainly don't think that's Bloo's approach, at least not recently. It is clear that Bloo is trying to create a more "total package" product than they ever have before, which is not necessarily to the detriment of the music, but to the benefit of the overall continuity and integration of the program as one concept or idea.

( In fact, I think the theme of being "connected" was illustrated far more effectively on a visual basis than a musical basis . . . )

It's something they haven't quite figured out yet- which is what "M" was saying. Given some time, maybe they will.

Edit: And I think Mitch's drill is still a bit too bland to be considered "great." It's VASTLY improved. It just needs something more.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

As for the corps having an identity, I'm also not sure why I hear this complaint leveled at the corps. Someone needs to explain to me what they mean by "identity", what these other corps do to have it, and why the Bluecoats don't.

Come up with some adjectives to describe the Bluecoats persona, what sort of words you'd use to describe the corps as if they were a star performer. What type of music do they play? What kind of emotions are they looking to create in the audience? Most importantly, what do they bring to the table that no other corps does better?

Most of the top corps/past champions have something that makes them unique. An approach or a style or an attitude that reads very clearly.

At this point, the word that comes to mind for me when I think of Bluecoats is "competent." That's not bad, but it's not enough to base an entire drum corps' program around.

They still need to develop and solidify their identity before they might become a serious contender...and that will still take years to happen... They need an updated uni (something a bit more unique...I personally liked the more fitted navy blue from '94...)... M

Talk to me in in 41-60 days, then we will see.

:worthy:

Elmo Blatch

They will win a championship when the earn it... which doesn't appear to be to be too far off in the future. I was at their Saturday finals day practice, watching them practice on a field that I myself have practiced on many times. They run rehearsals in a matter-of-fact way... focus is great... the staff speaks to the corps in firm yet almost gentle way. They just take care of business and keep it at a high level. I was really impressed. It was hot out on that Sauturday, and they were all out there in their helmets and barely anything else.

Go ahead and make all the "here's why they will... here's why they won't" win predictions all you want. The fact is that they have had steady growth over the recent years, and they ain't packin' it in and walking away. I for one LIKE the idea of these "new" (ha! I remember seeing Bluecoats at Toledo "Key To the Sea" in like 1978... it's not like they haven't paid their dues...) corps coming into the top five and mixing it up a little. I've always loved Blue Devils, but I wouldn't want them to win every year. Same with Cavaliers. Other corps may as well not even try to win if it's just a given those corps will win every year...and the same goes for all the other "usual suspects" in the top three year to year.

Crown is coming on now... and other programs are on pace for return to DCI finals top 12 shows (ie: Blue Stars). I like this... I LIKE IT!!!