Academy?

That's the horse I would put my money on. They'll be knockin' on DI's door pretty soon.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(only 1 loss.. ever!)..

really? i don't think so....

And I'm pretty sure they haven't even been defeated once. The focus show this year was 2-days, with ECJ scoring higher on the 2nd day, but since Academy performed on the 1st day it can't really be considered the same show.

w/Stp: sans stupid. they are undefeated for 3 seasons now in head to head competition (which is what counts, right? you don't do finals by taking high scores of the season, you do a head to head show.)

I hope they keep their members, aka, a bunch of them don't run to California for their future summers.

I don't think they will. Their director had to bolt Arizona for BD because there were no corps "in state" at the time. That was one of his reasons for forming the orginization, and I'm sure that he tells his kids that.

From everything I've seen about them, Academy has their act together in every facet. Perhaps at the next meeting of corps directors, the powers that be in Academy could run a workshop on how they created a solid base to build a drum corps from. I think such a thing could be very valuable, especially to the newer drum corps.

From everything I've seen about them, Academy has their act together in every facet. Perhaps at the next meeting of corps directors, the powers that be in Academy could run a workshop on how they created a solid base to build a drum corps from. I think such a thing could be very valuable, especially to the newer drum corps.

I'd love them to stay Div. II for at least one more season. Drums and guard still need some spiffing up. Their movement on the field needs to be increased as well, but I think 2008 would be a great year for them to break into the top 15 of Div. I.

"Peter Gomez wrote a pretty nice book for them, but I haven't heard much from him since his Valley View H.S. days when they one of California's best. Could the design be better and more challenging, definitely. They may also want to start thinking about recruiting girls from California and Texas where their achievement levels are a little higher then the AZ girls. "

Correct me if I'm wrong but Peter Gomez has been at the helm of Chino H.S recently, a sch open class medalist powerhouse in wgi.

I actually think Academy's powers-that-be should put together a manual on this issue...not just for future drum corps, but for marching bands, and even non-marching related organizations. They have methodically and steadily progressed their way up the ladder, and have refused to divert from their plans to move slowly through their development. Mark Richardson and his corps should be proud of how they've progressed, and the strength of their infrastructure should be commended, bottle-up, and sold to every new/developing groups as a "how to" on how to...

I don't believe they are ready for division I, but they are maturing nicely in all area's. All corps face adversity, so IMO it's a matter of time until The Academy does. The true reflection of their developement is how they rebound from that adversity.

They've matured every year so I expect the same this upcoming season!

Don't worry, The Academy will not go DIV ONE in 2007, and even maybe 2008, at this time no one knows.

One of the principle goals of the Academy is to give opportunity to Arizona kids, I am sure that out of state kids will come, the level of quality has been raised to a new level, and ALL members will have to met or exceed this level.

The reason why is simple, "if you keep on doing what your doing, you'll keep on getting what your getting".

The level was raised the last 3 years, and it will go up again this year!

Like everything else I am sure changes will happen, they have to happen in order to get better. The question is; do I sacrifice Arizona kids for OUT OF STATE kids to make a better corps. or do I go with Arizona kids.

This reminds me of THE CHIVAS proffesional soccer team of Guadalajara Mexico.

NO FOREIGN PLAYERS, only Mexican players, and they have won 10 national tittles,

so it can be done, it takes time and effort and a good solid plan. Time will tell.