What responsibility does DCI have to insure the safety of the kids

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI have oversight during the season

• No it's not thier Responsibility someone is looking out for the kids already
    • Yes, Some needs to look out for the kids
    • It's the parents job to check on thier kids welfare during the summer

There have been issues before but they always seem to come to a head after the season. We hear how kids weren't fed properly, or were mistreated, etc. I wonder how you folks feel about DCI overseeing or checking on the corps throughout the summer. Should there be a hot line or is it the parents who need to check on thier kids.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For DCI to absolve themselves of any responsbility at all makes no sense, as they are the corps...this is very much an issue that needs to be addressed in some fashion.

Now that DCI isn't living hand to mouth, this is a good opportunity for the at-large members of the DCI BoD (that come from the business world) to tackle the logistical processes of the caretaking of 150+ folks and streamline, refine and develop business and "watch over" programs that can help.

A good idea might be to have a regional "buddy system" (Bluecoats/Capital Reg, Spirit/Magic, etc...change it up each year) , where a larger corps takes time to workshop with a smaller unit on things such as food prep, budgeting, staff retention (drivers especially) and the like during the year...this way there could be some internal monitoring throughout the season from another source in addition to any DCI mandated stuff.

Yes, DCI should absolutly be checking on the health of the competing corps. There are too many unscrupulous people out there that will take any advantage these days.

This is not the 1st time I have heard that something like this is happening. DCI is the governing body for all that is drum corps and the units themselves. May be DCI should appoint some 3rd party people to tour with the corps and report any malfesants(sorry for the spelling), that is going on.

I don't know how other corps fared, but I was treated just fine. Sure, it was hot, it was hard, and we didn't always get the best food. However, neither I nor anyone I have spoken to from other corps were mistreated. We were fed, pretty well rested, and given plenty of water.

If parents want to check on their kids, then their children should carry a cell phone. If for whatever reason that's not possible, then they should call the corps to see if they can speak to their child.

EDIT: Wow, just realized what you meant by "CR thread." Just read it. i can't believe that all that stuff happened. The CR kids always seemed so upbeat when we saw them.

Edited by flashofthunder

Don't parents, by law, have to read and sign a corps' release form for their kids under penalty of perjury? I could see DCI possibly imposing some sort of minimum standard, though it seems like that would get messy real quick. What happened that made this question arise? Am I missing something? More than usual, I mean?

With all the accusations of DCI imposing its "big brother" presense in too many areas of drum corps, it is somewhat surprising that many want DCI to bring on more bureaucracy. It is clear that DCI took necessary steps by sending in an "interim" director for CR...they are just not making it a publicly discussed issue which is a good thing.

The role DCI should continue to play is insuring that the fudiciary responsibility of each corps' Board of Directors is on the up and up, including efforts to make sure each member organization has enough cash to follow through on its organizational objectives. If priorities are not given to feeding or overseeing the health of the corps members with a higher priority on new uniforms...etc., some heads need to roll. And if a "whistle blower" thinks there is someone with authority of a corps doing wrong and cannot do anything about it because said person has too much "power" over the organization, then ask the higher ups in Enron how that worked out! The BOD had better watch closely how they conduct business as they are directly in line for potential legal action.

This all comes down to a potential black-eye for the entire activity...with that in mind, DCI should proceed forward to put policies in place which are equitable between DCI and the member corps, and can be logistically administered by DCI.

For DCI to absolve themselves of any responsbility at all makes no sense, as they are the corps...this is very much an issue that needs to be addressed in some fashion.

Now that DCI isn't living hand to mouth, this is a good opportunity for the at-large members of the DCI BoD (that come from the business world) to tackle the logistical processes of the caretaking of 150+ folks and streamline, refine and develop business and "watch over" programs that can help.

A good idea might be to have a regional "buddy system" (Bluecoats/Capital Reg, Spirit/Magic, etc...change it up each year) , where a larger corps takes time to workshop with a smaller unit on things such as food prep, budgeting, staff retention (drivers especially) and the like during the year...this way there could be some internal monitoring throughout the season from another source in addition to any DCI mandated stuff.

"Responsibility":

Bump. This actually makes sense.

Elphaba

If all keep an watchful eye then are the kids safe. :lol: If with these eyes safe for sure. B)

WordRider Yeaah!

One option left out of the poll is that of personal responsibility. Hmmm could it be because it's severely lacking in our society?

DCI has a little bit of responsibility

so do the corps themselves

and so do the members!

If you forgot your water jug, guess what's gonna happen... you'll get dehydrated. Is it the fault of DCI that you didn't bring your water jug to the rehearsal field?

When it comes to bus drivers, it's the corps' responsibility to make sure they are licensed and insured. But it's also the responsibility of witnesses to report any unlawful activity.

If the BODs of an organization are doing something wrong, then DCI should get involved.

To me it looks like many of these responsibilities are already in place. What is falling short? IMO... it's personal responsibility.

One option left out of the poll is that of personal responsibility. Hmmm could it be because it's severely lacking in our society?

DCI has a little bit of responsibility

so do the corps themselves

and so do the members!

If you forgot your water jug, guess what's gonna happen... you'll get dehydrated. Is it the fault of DCI that you didn't bring your water jug to the rehearsal field?

When it comes to bus drivers, it's the corps' responsibility to make sure they are licensed and insured. But it's also the responsibility of witnesses to report any unlawful activity.

If the BODs of an organization are doing something wrong, then DCI should get involved.

To me it looks like many of these responsibilities are already in place. What is falling short? IMO... it's personal responsibility.

I agree with your statements...however, there are a couple of caveats.

1. Jr. Corps (along with some Sr. corps) use minors. When that occurs there is added lawful responsibility placed on the instructors and responsible adults in charge of the operation. If something happens (like a minor getting heat stroke) even if that minor did not follow proceedures the adults are still liable if they did not monitor behavior. That is just a legal fact, unfortunately.

2. In order to protect the activity in this ligatious day and time you have to be proactive...and that means background checks, financial checks and balances (and in my experience, great musician/instructors have not always been the best at administration and financial areas), and accountability for operations. If we as an activity continue to overlook problems then we invite a third-party to force themselves into the operations; and then DC as a whole is threatened.

3. There needs to be a way for DCI to disassociate from unscruptilous people who have grossly mismanaged corps, endangered members, and to check to be certain that corps screen their staffs (just like in the schools..and unfortunately, there are predators in this activity <**> )to protect all participants, and the activity.

You cannot take things for granted any longer, not in this day and time. And it is a crying shame :(