Question about George Zingali

As would I!

The one I've heard before but don't know exactly is something about the double crosses and Star staying out till like 2am practicing it to make it perfect or something...I dont' know it, but would love to hear it, if someone's got it.

Is there someone who can always refresh me on where all he taught and when?

He was w/ 27 Lancers until about 81, then Garfield Cadets at least through 87, finally w/ Star at least through 91. I remember him not looking too well at his DCI HOF intro at Dallas in 91.

George was with us(27th Lancers) till the end in 1986, he was back and forth between Us, Star, and other corps. His first love was always home, the 27th Lancers. Star of Indiana was not his first corps. 27th Lancers were...just to let you know.

He died from pneumonia from my understanding.

George taught the 27th Lancers, Garfield Cadets, Star of Indiana, and didn't he write a drill for Blue Knights or BlueCoats one year? Or was that Marc?

George invented a lot of the great color guard moves when he was with the 27th Lancers, Lancerfi can fill you in on those more then I can. I was in the horn line.

I had the pleasure of being taught how to march the "Lancer" way by George.

Edited by Lancerlady
  • Like 1

George taught the 27th Lancers, Garfield Cadets, Star of Indiana, and didn't he write a drill for Blue Knights or BlueCoats one year? Or was that Marc?

George wrote the drill for the Blue Knights in 1990 - 1991. He wrote drill for Aliance in 1983 also. He had dozens of "gigs", incuding high school bands, I worked with him in 1984 at Governor Livingston where he taught drill for the highlander marching band.

George left the 27th Lancers in 1981, moving on to the Garfiled Cadets. He then added Star of Indiana to hin resume in fall of 1984. Ultimately returning to the 27th Lancers in 1986. By the start of the 90's he was doing projects for various units all at once.

~G~

I'm not disputing what you say G, but George's home was in Revere, he was constantly showing up at practices he showed up at practices every once in a while in 85, I don't think he really ever "left" the 27th Lancers if you know what I mean.

I didn't know about Alliance though...and that's right it was Blue Knights. :) I couldn't remember, Marc told me about that one.

Edited by Lancerlady

My George story isn't really a drum corps story.. but it sort of relates.

I grew up in Arizona and our (then newly appointed) band director was very pro-drum corps. He had caught a lot of heat from our administration for changing the band's image from a very 1960s/70s spanish/gaucho - Big 10 style to an almost exact replica of the Garfield Cadets in Red and White.

Part of that transformation also meant a new marching style -- which, to most of us, we didn't know how to march anyway (I was a sophomore) so it was just "marching" -- we didn't know any different.

One weekend in early fall was designated as a "mini-camp" and we were all required to be there both days. Mr. Meier had hired and flown in a bunch of people whose names were spoken with a lot of respect -- sort of in hushed tones -- and it seemed most of the upper classmen knew and kind of shared in the respectful way these people were referred to. But all I knew was that some guys were coming in and I was to get then whatever they needed and do what they said.

I got there early that Saturday to help set up the field and get everybody settled. I met a few of the people and they seemed pretty nice.. our music arranger was there.. some other guy named George (in addition to Zingali), Jeff Mitchell was there that weekend, too, I think.. and I'd been told, excitedly, that Zingali would be there soon. My band director had a real gleam in his eye when he told me so I was excited too -- even though I didn't have any real idea who this guy was other than he was with the Garfield Cadets and we just loved them and everything they did... and he was going to teach us to march.

Somehow I had missed his actual arrival so at some point, I had to go get or do something and bring it to the box. My band director was in there and so was this skinny, wild-haired man whom I didn't know and didn't think much about.

I don't even remember what he said to me -- but whatever it was caught me so off guard because I could not understand him.. and I must have said "what" about four times.. finally he kept saying it back to me.. "What?" "What?" by then I was completely terrified.. I just wanted to run.. but out of the corner of my eye, I could see my band director with this amused look on his face and I realized THIS was "him."

He turned out to be really nice and not at all as scary as I first thought he was.. but oh my gosh I was ready to wet myself until I figured out they were just messing with me. He was also funny as heck and really managed to reach this bunch of un-worldly, gawky teenagers from the wilds of the Arizona desert..

He taught me to march that afternoon with the rest of my band.. "annnd HIT" right foot first, baby.. that right there is the hardest habit to UNlearn.

George left the 27th Lancers in 1981, moving on to the Garfiled Cadets. He then added Star of Indiana to hin resume in fall of 1984. Ultimately returning to the 27th Lancers in 1986. By the start of the 90's he was doing projects for various units all at once.

~G~

I would add that George was with Star and Cadets in 85', Star & Lancers in 86', Back to Cadets in 87' & 88', Star and Blue Knights in 90' & 91'. To the best of my memory he was in Bloomington in the fall of 91' but was to ill that winter to effectively teach. I believe he was the first member of the Star of Indiana wall of fame at the corps hall.

There isn't a year that goes by I don't think about how George would be approaching design at this point. He still had so much to do.

Many people knew George with shorts and a t-shirt, pulling out his eyebrows, being very nervous and never stopping for a minute.

Here is a picture from his portfolio for Broadway/Off Broadway Plays! Another passion of his!

ZingaliModeling.jpg

I know you're watching! :angel:

• Like 1

####... I thought he was real old when he died... everyone talked about how they saw his death coming, and I thought that he meant he was just getting old and feeble. It's really shame for him to go that young. Imagine what he could've done in all these years.

I don't believe we touched on all of the winter guards. He and his guard won the first WGI in 1978!

St. Anthony's Revere, Quasar, Erte, some girls carried through the years, Quasar had been St. Anthonys, etc.

As well as the many, many bands and a few senior corps!

He began his band/drum corps career in a that church band in Revere, then marched in 2-7.

• Like 1