Marc Sylvester steps down

I agree with you. What's kind of funny, though, is that Hopkins posted in his blog just a few days ago about how hard it is to fire people, and commented on how many times he's let someone resign, rather than announce that they were fired. Most likely any connection between these two is just poor timing, but it does make you raise an eyebrow or two....

:rolleyes:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

Marc is a one of the greatest in the business ever !! Plain and simple. He has always helped others and has been a key player in guard involvement in design and on getting guards to be rewarded for skills and as a design element. He has incredible insight to color and design and i am proud to say thank you for giving me advice over many years . And i hope for many more to come. I wish Marc well with continued work in the art world of new york and beyond.

Jeff

Geez aren't we all just a bit touchy here? Whatever, yeah, I'd say winning DCI with their highest score and then coming in whatever it was..what 5th? is a bit of a downfall but that's just me.

I don't give a crap about what placement Cadets come in but I wll stand up for alumni.

And people are blaming Marc's design instead of the failure of the show to be executed. It's so obvious.

Your #### right I'm a bit touchy, You try being a Cadets fan/volunteer and watch these kids be subject to the hatred, and the ridicule that was thrown at them this summer. THEY DON'T DESERVE IT. If you don't like the show they did, that's fine, but the way this corps was treated is just wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not talking about their placement, I'm talking about how they were treated by people. Many of these kids are Cadets because it's a dream of theirs to be in this corps. They are Cadets because they want to be.

These kids in the Cadets take life long lessons with them, I'm afraid that this yr. One of the lessons they learned is how RUDE AND IGNORANT PEOPLE CAN BE!!!!!!!!!

Donna

Your #### right I'm a bit touchy, You try being a Cadets fan/volunteer and watch these kids be subject to the hatred, and the ridicule that was thrown at them this summer. THEY DON'T DESERVE IT. If you don't like the show they did, that's fine, but the way this corps was treated is just wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not talking about their placement, I'm talking about how they were treated by people. Many of these kids are Cadets because it's a dream of theirs to be in this corps. They are Cadets because they want to be.

These kids in the Cadets take life long lessons with them, I'm afraid that this yr. One of the lessons they learned is how RUDE AND IGNORANT PEOPLE CAN BE!!!!!!!!!

Donna

Criticism of design does not equate to criticism of the performer.

I don't think anybody would argue that, but a lot of the stuff that people say about the Cadets in here, and certainly in the stands, don't address designers specifically. I'm not saying it happens often, and Steph certainly didn't do that in her posts in this thread, but it does happen.

things change, people come in and leave, nothing out of the ordinary, the corps keeps movin on anyway

Donna

Well don't take it out on me lady, I didn't see the show this year and am only responding about Marc because he is an alumni of the corps I marched in and I marched his drill in 1986 and love the man dearly. I see how HE is being dumped on for his design of a show when it wasn't ALL his fault is all I'm saying.

No where, NO where did I bag on the "kids of the Cadets", and I don't know why you are going off on me about it but you must have selective reading or something. If some people did this summer..don't put me in with them.

It seems to me I'm not the one who is being rude here. I'm done with this topic, if you want to respond further pm me..cause you are getting off topic.

Edited by Lancerlady

Criticism of design does not equate to criticism of the performer.

Which is one of the biggest bits of malarkey I read on here just about daily as people who like to trash this or that corps try to make themselves feel better by thinking the members will not be impacted. These are often people who marched and should know better. Kids live and breathe their show for months on end. To think they can surgically separate an attack on the show from attack on them is ludicrous. There have been many posts from members of corps gong back to Star who have proven the separation concept to be totally bogus.

Which is one of the biggest bits of malarkey I read on here just about daily as people who like to trash this or that corps try to make themselves feel better by thinking the members will not be impacted. These are often people who marched and should know better. Kids live and breathe their show for months on end. To think they can surgically separate an attack on the show from attack on them is ludicrous. There have been many posts from members of corps gong back to Star who have proven the separation concept to be totally bogus.

So, do we just sit back and rah rah everything...even if we don't enjoy it?

Man, is DCP going to be empty. :P

There's a big difference between saying "I don't think this is effective at this point in the show" and "Wow, these guys suck out loud".

Constructive criticism is encountered by most of us daily...on the field, on our jobs, and so on. It's no different here. I agree that trolling by making swipes at performers is in poor taste; but to think that people can't have a discussion on the relative merits of show design on a drum corps message board without it seeming to be a personal attack on members is a self-defeating proposition for places like this. :)

So, do we just sit back and rah rah everything...even if we don't enjoy it?

Man, is DCP going to be empty. :P

There's a big difference between saying "I don't think this is effective at this point in the show" and "Wow, these guys suck out loud".

Constructive criticism is encountered by most of us daily...on the field, on our jobs, and so on. It's no different here. I agree that trolling by making swipes at performers is in poor taste; but to think that people can't have a discussion on the relative merits of show design on a drum corps message board without it seeming to be a personal attack on members is a self-defeating proposition for places like this. :)

If everyone kept it to "I don't think this is effective at this point in the show" then there wouldn't be a problem. When people say ######## like "This is the worst thing to ever be put on a football field, it doesn't deserve to be out there" is when it gets personal. You can't deny that many people have crossed that line right here on DCP.