DCI Attendance Figures Announced

You have to remember that the number DCI is referring to is PAID attendance, not total attendance. The numbers from years past reflect total attendance, not necessarily paid. Since the beginning of his tenure, Dan Acheson has had to be more "numbers-centric" to gauge the business end of DCI's success. The total attendance probably could have been anywhere between 25,000-30,000, but the event's success is largely based on how many of those actually paid to get it. From what I understand, letting too many people in for free in the past was one of the things that put DCI in bad financial straits in the early 90's.

My Finals ticket cost me $1500 :sleep:

Nothing beats Bobby's quote from some show in '04:

-Bobby talking obnoxiously loud (crazy fool!)

-A-dumb telling him to shut up because he was making the people who bought tickets to get in angry

-Bobby retaliating by saying "my ticket cost me $800, I'll do what I want!"

Don't try and deny it now...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on this diagram you could put 17,776 people in sections 3,4,5, & 6. this would roughly be the area between the 10 yard lines. since the diagram shows 88 rows (a-k and 1-77) and 101 seats in each 2 section combinations.

I would assume there would be some people sitting in sections 2 & 7 so they would probably break the 20,000 mark, but the stadium definately has a smaller capacity.

I forgot about rows a-k (marimba resonator level seating).

You know, for as cool as Academy was, etc. etc., you can see why DCI might have less emphasis on D2/3. 4,190 paid attendance = a weeknight show in mid-america for D1.

I'm putting on a flame-retardant suit now, but 4,190 for 4 events, in the "big stadium" like everyone said they wanted... it should have been a perfect storm. Saturday show. Great corps. Buzz. Madison. And it was only half the size of quarterfinals over 4 events.

This seems to be a chronic problem. I can hardly imagine that 2/3 is profitable given these numbers.

This isn't a slam on anyone. This isn't a "well, why didn't you go". I'm just wondering what people think about the fact that 2/3 seems to not be able to draw audience. Why not? DCI hyped it, put it in the big bowl, and even has taken to make available APDs for them. All of it very good. But 4,190? Why aren't there more butts in $10 GA seats?

Divison II/III had one of the tighest races ever, good overall shows, my pesonal opinion is that DIV I followers need to humble themself and check out a DIV/III show, I think that unfortunately, the vast majority of DIV I followers only follow ONE corps (theirs) and really don't care much about others, because if they did, they would have gone to DIV II/III finals.

DIV II/III finals was a great show, sorry all you other 18,000 people missed it, oh well there is always next year....come on down, I'll save you a seat.

If the RB holds 90K and seating is naturally restricted between the 5-yards lines, how many will the RB hold?

13488s.gif

The c urrent capacity is listed as 92,542. The Rose Bowl actually holds around 106,000. The 90k is what they have made available, but the actual size is easily over 100,000. I think they use tarps and such to block off the immediate stands closest to the field for the UCLA games.

You know, for as cool as Academy was, etc. etc., you can see why DCI might have less emphasis on D2/3. 4,190 paid attendance = a weeknight show in mid-america for D1.

I'm putting on a flame-retardant suit now, but 4,190 for 4 events, in the "big stadium" like everyone said they wanted... it should have been a perfect storm. Saturday show. Great corps. Buzz. Madison. And it was only half the size of quarterfinals over 4 events.

This seems to be a chronic problem. I can hardly imagine that 2/3 is profitable given these numbers.

This isn't a slam on anyone. This isn't a "well, why didn't you go". I'm just wondering what people think about the fact that 2/3 seems to not be able to draw audience. Why not? DCI hyped it, put it in the big bowl, and even has taken to make available APDs for them. All of it very good. But 4,190? Why aren't there more butts in $10 GA seats?

This is easy...in Madison...everyone go drinky drinky after Friday night...lead to Saturday AM hangover...no wanna go see loud drums and horns until after I have nap.

Re: 1994 Foxboro - besides location the Boston Crusaders were in the hunt for a finals position (which they narrowly missed) for the first time in the DCI era and there was the spector of the 27th Lancers Alumni performing. 27 was my first favorite corps way back when.

1994 is the highest on the list. Does anyone know why? It certainly wasn't because it was a competitive year....BD was undefeated!!! :music:

1981 Montreal holds the record for the highest number of attendance....paying or free, it didn't matter to me, it was just nice looking up into the stands seeing it packed!

81Scoreboard.jpg

Wow...21,000+ unhappy and unenthusiastic fans showed up for finals in Madison.

More than Boston last year, less than Denver in 04.

It would have been 40K+ if more corps brought back the high mark time.

Putting on flame retardant suit now.

Good point, Tom. They just don't get it, do they. I think the question everyone needs to ask themelves is "How many corps did I REALLY enjoy?". For me, it gets less and less every year. Darn.