The Color of a Corps

My bro and I were at semis this year pondering why there are so many corps with the color Blue in their name. Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Blue Saints. What is it about Blue that is so facinating? I know alot of this is history of each corps, but still, its a curiosity. The only other color we could think of in a corps name was Black - the Black Knights from IL. Any other colors out there?

And there was a corps out there with 2 colors as its name: Black Gold.

A quick search on Corpsreps also showed that in Europe, "Red" is a popular color for corps, e.g. Red Devils, Red Stars.

Lots of "Silver" in US junior corps names and even one active corps that is gold.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In some of cases, it's based on the organizations that founded the corps. Blue Devils were founded by a VFW post, and blue is the color of the VFW. The Bluecoats were founded by the Canton Police, creating a similar situation.

Im willing to guess its miliaristic...

werent the Unions soldiers in the civil war dressed in blue?

same for the revolutionary war?

isnt a big US color Blue?

Blue is the official color of all U.S. military dress uniforms, iregardless of branch. Sometime there are exceptions, such as when the Marine D&BC wear red jackets at official functions, but normally it's blue. That's why the American Legion and VFW selected it as their color of choice. I remember that because I got the question wrong on a history exam in HS. :)

Im willing to guess its miliaristic...

werent the Unions soldiers in the civil war dressed in blue?

same for the revolutionary war?

isnt a big US color Blue?

The Long BLUE Line!

still not a word...

My apoligies to the spell police.....BTW, neither is "Phitch".

The Long BLUE Line!

Holy crap! Is it possible that someone other than I can reference the Phantom Regiment Cadets? Whoo Hoo!!!

Along those lines, I know the Cavies are the GREEN MACHINE, and Regiment was/is known as The White Noise - though that may have been a 70's thing.

As for other color names... there were a few Scarlet (a shade of red-orange) Knights, Scarlet Lancers, Scarlet Raiders, and Scarlet Maruaders.

There were Gery Ghosts from New York, Green Hornets from Michigan, and lots and lots of Golden this that and the other.