The 2006 Cavaliers.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always found that writing original music for the purpose of a concept show in the activity had at least as much, if not more, "artistic" integrity than arranging hour-long pieces for 2 minutes for a lot of 20 year old brass players.

That's just me.

Don't forget that you're writing something from scratch in a smaller amount of time to prepare it for the season.

In arranging you're playing with a premade set, but you can't destroy the work, yet still have to make it work on the field.

They both take integrity.

Saucedo starts with nothing already knowing he has to make it for Trumpets, Mellos, Baris, and Tubas

Arrangers have to compress maintain an orchestra (violins, violas, cellos, string basses, brasses, woodwinds, percussion) all into a 4 part brass choir.

Edited by ApocalypseTissue

Thanks (on behalf of the guys) for the Kudos, Dan! And I'm sure were someone to go onto any of the numerous threads about the MSARP and impugn the efforts of the alumni corps as being second-rate or inferior to ANOTHER alumni corps, we could expect you to maintain decorum and show a level of restraint. And I'm sure the same goes for all of your other brothers in green. After all, you wouldn't expect alumni of one corps to act any differently than alumni of another corps, would we???

Well you see I anticipated that response Mike which is why this directly preceded what you quoted from my post:

The way the Cavie fans have attacked dciguy is somewhat reminiscent of a pack of wild dogs. Not unlike venturing into a Cadets or Scouts thread and expressing a contrary opinion.

Ill also remind you when the shoe was on the other foot, that it was noted how awful we bad Scout guys were for ganging up on Stef. B)

So if nothing else, we are all guilty of the same hypocrisies.

But you're correct.........20 years from now, when someone is looking on corpsreps.com about the 2006 season, it won't say ANYTHING about the people's champs, or who had the most difficult horn book. It won't say ANYTHING about controversial shows or amps or vocals. It'll just list who won. B)

Actually I haven't updated the narrative history for competing corps from the 2005/2006 seasons** but it is quite possible that I will mention the controversy surrounding certain shows and likely about the vocals, amps and characters for Cadets. Even more likely the vocals and use of amps with Crossmen (since it featured my son's voice). We made mention in 2004 regarding Crown's singing in their narrative history, mentioning that it was the first year of amplification and that they sang. So while the season page will just list the cold facts of scores and repertoires, the narrative will certainly touch on some of those issues you mentioned. B)

** because I lost my volunteer historian. Anyone want to volunteer for the job?

Right... so they got high brass just "because"...?

They didn't deservingly win? How so?

Great way to start off your time here at DCP by the way... starting arguments, well done. :lol:

I so agree with you! Thanks!!!

Ill also remind you when the shoe was on the other foot, that it was noted how awful we bad Scout guys were for ganging up on Stef. B)

Was Mike defending me or was he defending "Cavies fans?" The way I see it, we're not especially synonymous (me and "cavies fans") so I guess I'm just unclear about your intent..

Maybe if you want to say something to me (or about me), you should just say it? Or are you more comfortable shooting barbs at me from the back? B)

Stef

Was Mike defending me or was he defending "Cavies fans?" The way I see it, we're not especially synonymous (me and "cavies fans") so I guess I'm just unclear about your intent..

Maybe if you want to say something to me (or about me), you should just say it? Or are you more comfortable shooting barbs at me from the back? B)

Stef

My intent was to point out that the reaction of you and the other Cavies fans to one lone guy with an opinion amounted to overkill. But I also knew you or he would point out how you felt you were similarly treated in a previous Madison thread. So I saved you the trouble by mentioning it beforehand.

And seriously am I expected to believe that Mike is talking about Cavie fans in general when mentioning the goings on in Madison Alumni thread in which a certain dissenter was bounced around pretty good?

Edited by Scerpella

They are just going to have to find another way to impugn you as you have shown that educated people do not all necessarily hold the same viewpoint.

The "I did this", "20 years", "music is my life", "professional musician" stuff is all irrelevant anyway. We could if necessary pull in 5 experts who individually have more expertise thant all the people put together here and there wouldnt necessarily be agreement among them.

Everything said here is subjective and has to do with whether or not Cavies communicated their ideas effectively to people as individuals. As vferrera said you dont need a masters to have an opinion. The way the Cavie fans have attacked dciguy is somewhat reminiscent of a pack of wild dogs. Not unlike venturing into a Cadets or Scouts thread and expressing a contrary opinion.

You guys won.......again! Enjoy it. You dont have to have every single person in the universe won over.

You bet they won again, and this Blue Devils fan is in awe of the consistency this corps shows every year and the talent and entertainment they bring to the game is amazing. Every accolade they get is well deserved and sorry, but every criticism they get is nothing but sour grapes. Simple as that.

Whining about brass titles and musical depth and this and that...get over it, they won, they got the awards, they deserved it, this one is in the books and that is that. Its up to the rest of the pack to step up and try and defeat them.

Cant any of the few of you show a little respect ?? Dan, Im surpised at you, what are you even doing in this thread ? Nothing positive to say about this corps at all ? Seems like you just want to create arguments. Oh well, you do do it well, so keep on !! Aint gonna change nothing, and the fact is Cavaliers do play music, they do connect to the audience and they did win the brass title. I cant believe some Phantom Regiment fans are whining about that !! I as a Blue Devil fan should have much more credibility in that arena but it doesnt bother me.

I am so amused every thread turns into a pissing contest or a match of wits (or lack of) .

Carry on, this is fun.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

Condensed Mahler, Shostakovich and the like is still better than, to me, the Saucedo originals. Condensed Charlie Parker, Count Basie, and the like is still better. I'm not suggesting that the only good music is orchestral in nature. Good music is good music. The Saucedo original stuff just doesn't do it for me. It seems hollow and unmemorable and takes a backseat to the visual.

And seriously am I expected to believe that Mike is talking about Cavie fans in general when mentioning the goings on in Madison Alumni thread in which a certain dissenter was bounced around pretty good?

See your PM.