The 2006 Cavaliers.

Will original music being written for drum and bugle corps ever be considered “serious” music? Only time will tell. John Phillips Sousa wrote a lot of music specifically geared for marching, and it turned out pretty well over time.

I applaud the Cavies for writing original music for drum and bugle corps. It’s cool and it works. Many years from now, it might be considered classic.

Wow, 29th page.

Edited by Roark1

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You started this thread with the statement that no other corps had a chance, sighting the Robots amazing design and performance as far superior to anything else on the field this year. That is your opinion. Get off your knees and stop fawning over them. It was a great show, and a deserving winner, but IT WAS NOT THE MOST DOMINANT WIN IN DCI HISTORY! .35 is considered close, it's hard to get much closer. The JUDGES did not agree with your opinion. I do not agree with your opinion. You say they had no weaknesses. Did YOU know they did not win every caption? What did you expect this thread to be, a thousand posts of agreement with you that form a shrine to your obvious expertise based on your 5,000 posts on this forum? If you don't care about other opinions, then stay off the public forums and light a thousand green candles around your TV and let the best of Cavies DVD play in a continuos loop of "musical drills" as you burn microphones and chant machine like noises.

Is this thread titled the corps of the decade or the 2006 Cavaliers, you've got to be kidding me?

I am not a huge fan of the 05 "Cadetds". I would think however, that last years finals is more supportive of a dominating victory than this years, and that was my point. Do any of your vast history of posts acknowledge that, or don't the scores mean anything unless the corps YOU think should win comes out ahead.

Wow. If I were timid, or shy, or even cared, I would have been running away from the computer with my tail between my legs with tears in my eyes. You do realize that, again, your lack of reading comprehension has gotten the best of you, right ??

I'll mail you $100 if you could show me where I wrote this is the most dominant win in history.

You better believe that in my opinion they were dominant this year as they have been all decade. I thought my corps had a chance, you know, the Blue Devils, and they really did....Phantom Reiment too...until I saw the Cavaliers, and then it was all over but the score. My numerous viewing of these shows told me that as colse as we would have liked to believe it was, once Cavaliers finished..there was no contest. Sorry if my words #### you off, thats your problem.

The judges agreed too, awarding the Cavaliers, the robots, their fifth victory in seven tries. Can you beleive that ?? You dont have a problem with me, its obvious you have a beef with the Cavaliers, or maybe DCI, or maybe your just jaded with the whole activity.

Try and belittle me or question my credibility all you want. It wont change a thing.

I am simply in awe of the Cavaliers consistency and achievement and entertainment they have given me especially since 2000. Not that I have to explain this to you.

Anyway, keep your sour grapes and enjoy them.

~G~

Right, wrong, unprovable or indifferent, they were his thoughts. That's all I'm seeing. No rubbing of noses -- especially since he's not any kind of historically gigantic Cavaliers fan..

Sorry to keep this going, but I appreciate the intelligent turn discussion this thread is taking.

Stef, you are right, the rubbing of noses was a little unfair, but it was only in response to the sour grapes post.

I was with you til the end -- but my disagreement with you on that is based solely on my opinion. Judging by what I personally saw and experienced over the summer, I thought they were.

You are not alone. I felt the visual package was in a league of it's own. I still don't see how they did not win GE visual! The music performance, both from a GE and content perspective, was not my favorite, and being a horn guy, that's where I pay most attention. Yet they win brass, ensemble and GE music, so what do I know. I just know that for me, during the Machine, it was the visual things that made me go WOW, and during PR it was the music, and BD had some of both.

The point above about the whole corps expressing the theme rather than the drums and horns being in the "backround" is well taken, but skewed somewhat by the choice of the video director in what camera they had up. If you watch the shows from the upstairs camera alone, I believe your opinion will change some. Let's say I have to watch/listen to a 2006 corps 100 times straight. If the sound was out on my home theatre, I would put on Cavs. If the video was out, I'd play PR, (most popular choice in the car this year for me). If I can see and hear everything, I'd choose BD.

Another question I hope someone can answer is how the Machine ballad fit into the storyline of the rest of the show. It was a nice piece, but it seemed like it interuppted the theme, rather than fit in. Maybe someone can help me here?

The judges agreed too, awarding the Cavaliers, the robots, their fifth victory in seven tries. Can you beleive that ?? You dont have a problem with me, its obvious you have a beef with the Cavaliers, or maybe DCI, or maybe your just jaded with the whole activity.

No question the design team knows how to put a show together and sell it to the judging community better than any one else. I just wish it had substance and pushed the activity musically, no through effects.

No question the design team knows how to put a show together and sell it to the judging community better than any one else. I just wish it had substance and pushed the activity musically, no through effects.

Ya know, instead of being rude to you, I would really like to know why you feel that way ? What am I missing , or not getting or what is it they lack that you wish they had more of ??

~G~

Let's say I have to watch/listen to a 2006 corps 100 times straight. If the sound was out on my home theatre, I would put on Cavs. If the video was out, I'd play PR, (most popular choice in the car this year for me). If I can see and hear everything, I'd choose BD.

I'd choose Cavaliers for two of those... but as for just listening to the show I find that I'm listening to BK more than anyone.

Sorry to keep this going, but I appreciate the intelligent turn discussion this thread is taking.

Stef, you are right, the rubbing of noses was a little unfair, but it was only in response to the sour grapes post.

no blood, no foul. :) And please, never be sorry about keeping an intelligent discussion going.. it's refreshing!!

Another question I hope someone can answer is how the Machine ballad fit into the storyline of the rest of the show. It was a nice piece, but it seemed like it interuppted the theme, rather than fit in. Maybe someone can help me here?

Well I don't know for sure, but someone else in another thread somewhere did sort of allude to this -- or at least they posed a possibility I thought caused a lot of things to drop into place for me about this show..

The ballad -- and the action taking place during it -- could it be a kind of storyline? Like the robots' attempts at or striving for humanity? I hadn't thought about that all season until I saw someone say that and then I thought, "yeah.. that makes perfect sense" -- particularly when I saw the drill move at the end of the show on ESPN2 that looked like a vein that had grown through a box.. like blood pumping through an electronic component.

Maybe I'm imagining it.. maybe the suggestion of the other guy's post and seeing it after the fact made that fall into place for me, but it was cool nonetheless.

I like it when a show gives me nuggets like that to interpret for myself.

Ya know, instead of being rude to you, I would really like to know why you feel that way ? What am I missing , or not getting or what is it they lack that you wish they had more of ??

Music with long phrases, melody and development. Music with compositional depth. I would never sit down and listen to a recording of the cavies shows from this decade. There just isn't any development and musical interest.

Music with long phrases, melody and development. Music with compositional depth. I would never sit down and listen to a recording of the cavies shows from this decade. There just isn't any development and musical interest.

Look, I appreciate that you feel the music they play has no long phrases, melody or development. I appreciate you think that their music lacks compositional depth and that you wouldn't listen to it on your own volition. But can you appreciate that there are LOTS of educated, musical and non-musical people out here who feel exactly the opposite as you -- and can offer as many real-time examples to back up their opinion as you can offer to back up yours?

It's the nature of holding an opinion.

According to your opinion and maybe even according to how you apply your education, they have none of the things you value or that "make it good" as music, but there are plenty of people who disagree.. and will argue with you for saying "it doesn't" as if it's a fact.. when in fact the truth is "in your opinion it doesn't."

That's really the crux of this whole argument.

For every reason and example you can give why it isn't, someone equally qualified and educated can come up with a reason or example why it is.

Stef