The 2006 Cavaliers.

Both?

Wow, (among others), is fairly disrespectful to BD. I thought they managed to tell their story pretty completely, certainly as well as the top2. B)

You even starting this thread by claiming such a dominating victory is laughable. I truly don't understand how the Machine could not win visual GE and win music captions. Just the oposite if what I SAW and HEARD. They should not have won any musical captions. The Cavies fans defend this using the "you aren't qualified and can't argue with the judges" defense. But when this so called "domination" is questioned, then .3 is no different than 3.3? You wan't dominating, try captions sweeps and margin of victory, and open a thread about "2005, The Zone, OMG the Best Show Ever!" :blink:

I salute the Cavs for a great win, and dominating performance in this decade. Their design of motion, then music, usually not at the same time, has advanced the visual program of DCI. I still prefer other corps, and I just don't agree that they are as far "ahead" of other styles as you claim. (see SCORES)

Whats laughable is your reading comprehension. Go back, read real careful, notice how I used the phrases: communicating to the audience without the use of voice or microphones. This automaticaly voids the Blue Devils in this argument because they used a microphone, can you believe that ??

Whats laughable is that you seem to think I even care how you feel about me starting a thread of my choice in an open forum stating dominance. Did you know that Cavaliers dominated the competition this year, as they did much of the decade so far, what thye lost three shows this year to one corps ?? Drove into finals in ploepositiona nd never looked back, thats right argue all you want one tenth, or ten points, they were in the lead, it was their title to lose, they were in control and they dominated the competition all three nights, simple as that. They even snagged BD's brass and visual away....( I cant beleive I have to attack my favorite corps to make a point to some that haunt DCP)

And as far as ahead of other styles ?? Lets look, oh.. thats right, their style was demed best five of the last seven years. Dominance !

By the way, you are free to start a thread regarding the Cadetd and their dominance in 2005, good luck.

Have a nice day

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats laughable is that you seem to think I even care how you feel about me starting a thread of my choice in an open forum stating dominance. ( I cant beleive I have to attack my favorite corps to make a point to some that haunt DCP)
There was no way anybody was going to come close to this corps...
I never have seen a drill so musical

You started this thread with the statement that no other corps had a chance, sighting the Robots amazing design and performance as far superior to anything else on the field this year. That is your opinion. Get off your knees and stop fawning over them. It was a great show, and a deserving winner, but IT WAS NOT THE MOST DOMINANT WIN IN DCI HISTORY! .35 is considered close, it's hard to get much closer. The JUDGES did not agree with your opinion. I do not agree with your opinion. You say they had no weaknesses. Did YOU know they did not win every caption? What did you expect this thread to be, a thousand posts of agreement with you that form a shrine to your obvious expertise based on your 5,000 posts on this forum? If you don't care about other opinions, then stay off the public forums and light a thousand green candles around your TV and let the best of Cavies DVD play in a continuos loop of "musical drills" as you burn microphones and chant machine like noises.

And as far as ahead of other styles ?? Lets look, oh.. thats right, their style was demed best five of the last seven years. Dominance !

Is this thread titled the corps of the decade or the 2006 Cavaliers, you've got to be kidding me?

By the way, you are free to start a thread regarding the Cadetd and their dominance in 2005, good luck.

I am not a huge fan of the 05 "Cadetds". I would think however, that last years finals is more supportive of a dominating victory than this years, and that was my point. Do any of your vast history of posts acknowledge that, or don't the scores mean anything unless the corps YOU think should win comes out ahead.

Edited by truman

Not in my opinion.

An artist, of any kind, knows the performers and audience for whom he/she is designing. A good one will adjust accordingly. To compare the artwork for one medium, and judge against the artwork of another seems futile. Or, taken a step further, to judge one artist against the other is not wise. The only way I could see that working is to ask one of the "greats" to come back to life and see if they could/would compose a great piece in 10 minutes that is capable of being marched for, and delivered to, a drum corps audience.

Since that cannot be done, we have developed our own greats. They have adjusted their method of design for OUR medium, and created wonderful music that some people love, and others do not. Funny how similar that is to the reception that many of the "greats" received upon the debut of their own pieces.

We are a niche for sure. The chances that any of our "greats" will be remembered by non drum corps people years from now is slight. The chances that some of them will be given accolades within our activity years from now are great.

Let's thank them for the beauty they have brought to our activity. And let's rejoice in the fact that we can "create" OUR version of the "greats."

Isn't it amazing how two obviously intelligent people B) can have such different opinions? Music of the "greats' have been performed in the medium of Drum Corps. Performed very well, I might add. There are greats that are not dead that are writing wonderful music. Why should we, as drum corps, have to create our own cheaper version of a "great?" Does the music in our niche have to be appreciated only by die hard corps fans? Why can't drum corps music be as good and have the appeal and emotional impact of a Wagner? I'm not suggesting that corps should only play music by old dead white guys. There are plenty of living composers of various ethnic backgrounds that can provide us with music that will stand the test of time and be suitable for drum corps performance. I feel like we are selling ourselves short and lowering the bar because it is only drum corps, not a viable musical ensemble for everyone to enjoy.

Why should we, as drum corps, have to create our own cheaper version of a "great?"

In no way did I intend for anyone to get the idea that our greats are a "cheaper" version. They are different, and that was the point I was trying to make. I think some of the harmonic complexities in Saucedo's works would make some main stream greats drool if they ever heard it (and maybe they have).

I, for the life of me, still don't understand the dominance debate! Sure the score was .35 overall but again I point out that was because of one judge (Visual GE) the odd judge out of the entire judging community in that caption and the percussion scores because they weren't even close. In the way of visual, musical and, minus finals, GE, the cavaliers won every caption. I'd say that's rather dominating! Oh and BD won guard but with how amazing that guard was this year there was no question there. So to recap, guard and drums went to other corps by a long shot. The rest, in my opinion was Cavalier dominance.

I just kind of want to grab the visual GE judge by the shoulders and inform him that the show was about robots. Or something.

Eh, maybe he saw something I didn't.

[ I too thought The Cavaliers were the best drum corps this year, But I thought The Devils were much better story tellers, And Phantoms music was better. I thought 2000-2003 were the top of Cavalier creativity. 2004 was great, not as good as BD. 2005 was OK. and 2006 was as good as 2004. Cavaliers do have a winning formular.

In no way did I intend for anyone to get the idea that our greats are a "cheaper" version. They are different, and that was the point I was trying to make. I think some of the harmonic complexities in Saucedo's works would make some main stream greats drool if they ever heard it (and maybe they have).

I don't know how I'm not hearing these "harmonic complexities" you speak of. Whenever I hear a Saucedo original, I get the aural version of my eyes glazing over. I might as well have been listening to white noise after it's done. I just can't figure out what all the fuss is about.