DCA on TV

Benji's idea in the previous post is a good one... Ben please add this to the post on how to improve that Fred Windish started.

As for AJ Wright... what George Iaconne has done for drum corps is amazing and he demands little or nothing in return... we all owe him and his organization at AJ Wright and the TJ Maxx group a huge thank you... That being said... were he to want to sponsor the TV coverage he certainly could do it...

BUT a caution... most of the AJ Wright contribution goes directly to the corps... each corps that puts their logo on their trucks gets a bonus donation... corps that are sponsoring shows in AJ Wright areas get a considerable sponsorship donation for their show... The rest of the money goes directly into the Championship show funds and is distributed through the financial share points to all corps who compete during the regular season and attend prelims ... AGAIN... if AJ Wright were to do the TV gig, I would hope that it would not be in lieu of everything already going to the corps.

Much of this money has been critical to the DCA corps surviving the gas crisis and ridiculous bus costs.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easiest solution for a niche event like this that has a widespread audience is to do a Web cast. Video compression has taken great strides in the past few years and now broadband is a relatively common in the household. A live mix is already being done for the multi-camera set-up and can be streamed via the net.

The downside of course is that it won't be broadcast quality, but that does help to protect DVD sales for those that want a high quality version of the shows for themselves. I'm also sure there are copyright issues that need to be addressed, but the overall budget would be far lower than going "on-air". And since it is Web based, there are advertising opportunities that can help defer costs.

Edited by paparazzi

I win a huge lottery prize, I'll pick up at least some of the tab for TV for DCA.

Right after I buy several vacation homes... B)

And I want Bob Barker to be the main TV announcer.

Fran

And I want Bob Barker to be the main TV announcer.

Fran

James Earl Jones..... :lol:

Oh ya baby......I can just here him saying......"It starts with the Thunder of Drums".......(get goose bumps just thinking about it)

On our honeymoon we went to SeaWorld Florida. Jones narrates the Shamu show starting with "The Killer Whale..." in his best voice of doom. After a while he says "this is James Earl Jones". To which half the adults in our area muttered "No #### who else?".

Fran, truly you jest....

Bob Barker loose at DCA? Hide our young girls... he's one 80+ year old stud that the young girls can't resist...

hey, hold it... sex over 80????

wow

he's my hero... bring him on and have him run a seminar for the rest of us...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give this a bump and hope that Fred Windish will discuss the DCA TV ventures in 1977 and 1978...

Steve,

Thanks for remembering 1977! That was Allentown's first year as host for both DCI-East and the DCA Championships. A little trivia, The July 7&8 DCI Eastern Championship was the first major drum corps event staged at the Allentown School District Stadium, but the DCA Championship was the first event to be contracted (December, 1976). The DCI event date didn't come about until late March, 2007.

As for DCA being televised, it really was a matter of being in the right place, at the right time. When we announced DCA coming to Allentown for 1977, there was strong attention paid. Don't think Allentown ever hosted a convention claiming to be this big. People noticed.

The local PBS station, WLVT-TV39, contacted US with a request to televise! DCA did receive a fee for the rights to produce a tape-delayed broadcast. For TV39's local use, the program was the full event and was shown in the Lehigh Valley with pledge breaks. A smaller, two-hour highlights version was prepared for the old Eastern Educational Television Network. That was a collection of 43 stations east of the Mississippi. TV39 and EETN marketed the product to PBS stations nationwide. That effort was very successful as stations in nearly every state, purchased the rights to show the highlights version in their own market. Although this was not intended to be a national PBS broadcast, it became one.

At the time, TV39 had some of the best equipment and talent in all of PBS. Their production of the Allentown event was spectacular! To this date, I consider that 1977 DCA broadcast to have been the best audio capture of any drum corps production. The recorded sound from both full ensemble and soloist was very true to live.

Unfortunately, not many consumers had VCRs in those days. Copies of the program could be non-existent today, although I seem to remember Jeff Ream claiming to have one. Jeff? We did go to the station several years ago looking for a tape. We were too late. The station's policy was to only archive product back 20 years.

Will DCA ever be televised again? We sure hope so, but DCA is not now in position to make it happen with our own funds. Everything will pretty much need to fall into place as it did years ago in Allentown, and not necessarily with PBS. You should know that for 2006, DCA did pitch a similar broadcast package to a very large Rochester cable provider. We couldn't pull it off, but are planning to approach the idea from a new angle this winter!

:)