I have marched my share of monsoons, lakefront shows(Kenosha in late May),dustbowl shows(try Kansas and Iowa in mid-July). All that I have heard is how "we sucked it up and marched', "it was bad for every one",etc. You chose to march DCA. The DCA higher ups knew that what it was going to be like. But I do give kudos to all that marched in that ####. But if WGM has opinions about Rochester, give him his due. He is a rookie. He will know next time.

Thank God, all you marchers. It could have been artificial grass and been worse. Imagine all the slipping and sliding?

Pataec Park has artificial turf. Were You there?

Edited by Ahamay Oton

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pataec Park has artificial turf. Were You there?

Yup, that's what you get from a computer. Someone with an opinion that doesn't have all the facts. I marched Sat.....in the rain.......... the field was incredibly safe and we all had the same problem with the "lines", "rain", "wind", "few fans" etc. etc. etc. etc.......

Look. Two things are abundantly clear.

The weather sucked.......but it could just as easily been 80-90 degrees (yes in update NY it isn't always nearly snowing), so all you weather whiners, just get over the fact that DCA was awarded to Rochester and live with it. It could just as well been raining and crappy in Scranton, (been there done that!).

Second, as it has been pointed out several times in this thread, the marching corps memebers (for the vast majority), hated it, but sucked it up and went on with the show..........

Please lets get off this dumb thread. It rained, it was cold, it happened. No actuall hurricanes (except those from Connecticut), and no actual tornados, (and no snow, its Rochester not Fairbanks Alaska for cryin' out loud). DCA did the absolute best they could under the conditions. and bumping anyone's show to make it an all in one day event just wasn't going to happen.

Get over whatever Rochester hangups you have and move on. It was a great season and lets hope next year is sunny and warm.

Yup, that's what you get from a computer. Someone with an opinion that doesn't have all the facts. I marched Sat.....in the rain.......... the field was incredibly safe and we all had the same problem with the "lines", "rain", "wind", "few fans" etc. etc. etc. etc.......

The weather sucked.......but it could just as easily been 80-90 degrees (yes in update NY it isn't always nearly snowing), so all you weather whiners, just get over the fact that DCA was awarded to Rochester and live with it. It could just as well been raining and crappy in Scranton, (been there done that!).

Second, as it has been pointed out several times in this thread, the marching corps memebers (for the vast majority), hated it, but sucked it up and went on with the show..........

Please lets get off this dumb thread. It rained, it was cold, it happened. No actuall hurricanes (except those from Connecticut), and no actual tornados, (and no snow, its Rochester not Fairbanks Alaska for cryin' out loud). DCA did the absolute best they could under the conditions. and bumping anyone's show to make it an all in one day event just wasn't going to happen.

Get over whatever Rochester hangups you have and move on. It was a great season and lets hope next year is sunny and warm.

Artifical turf is similar to cement like surfaces. The field that was used by DCA was of grass like material had a good drainage system. There is a difference. So fiftysomething, you move on off this thread also.

Sportgrass it is called. Artificial grasslike blades with ground up rubber tires for "soil". It was actually one of the positives as it provided good traction despite being wet.

NOT blaming ANYTHING ON ANYBODY - so don't start.

But, it seems to me that this one day (prelims) has an awful lot riding on it. Important enough to have a plan in place if it is washed out. (maybe there was one - I don't know).

Maybe having the three shows in one day in NEAR impossible - but still better than most of the 23 corps (I understand it was better, at some times, than it was at others) enduring the conditions that they did when so much time, effort, milage and money have been expended by so many to get to this all important day. AND, to miss out of the huge crowd that surely would have seen them under better conditions.

And yes, the forcast looked bad for Sunday as well, but it bad enough on Saturday that it would have been worth delaying the show on the CHANCE of better conditions; which, by the way would have turned out to be a good bet.

I don't know all the negatives that would have arisen out of moving to Sunday; and they may have been insurmountable ones.

But, I would think that prelims is an EXTREMELY important day, and I would have a back-up plan that assumed the worst (and how much worse could it have been?)

I, for one, was looking forward to seeing the entire show, and sat in the parking lot right up until start time. I admit, I just wasn't willing to spend 6 hours sitting in an open stadium in those conditions. Call me a sissy, but I'm old, and I'm done performing OR "spectating" under those conditions.

As a performer who only made it to Finals once, and finished his season at prelims MANY times; I think that it's possible that not everyone may realize the importance of this day to corps (and their members) who know this will or may be the culminating day of the season. Not to mention that many of these corps now travel from far outside the Northeast for this day.

Just my opinion. Again, NOT a knock on anyone.

And I do respect the performers AND the fans who toughed it out. Wish you all could have had better conditions for your big day.

know any domes close to Rochester they can book quick and find a way to notify every fan at the last minute, as well as the corps?

Nice sentiments but DCA is not moving West of even Rochester until there are more than a handful of non Eastern corps that are in finals. The fan base is still largely East based. This is why it is incumbent on DCA Central and DCA South to expand their membership and create viable circuits. At this point there arent enough All Age fans in the midwest or South. But I do feel that are plenty of great fans in those areas and once theyve been introduced to All Age they might prefer it over the ever more hard to enjoy DCI corps.

disagree on number of corps in finals. it comes down to having the market in place to get enough fans to show up. a crowd of 3k for finals in an area not used to DCA action yet would be disastrous...the corps would barely make any money. yes, the fan base to date is primarily NE driven, but the markets outside of the NE need to be built up. that's they key.

what was the attendance at the non NE shows this summer? any of them crack 2k? 3k? you won't get a big walkup at finals prices.

I'll third that motion. If we're not going to play in front of the crowd why bother playing at all? We could have done it in our own backyard. For the 37 people in the stands, thanks for staying. Now how many of you 37 actually paid for those seats, or for any seat on that day for that matter? :)

my wife and i paid for all 3 shows that weekend. we got wet, we dried out for sunday am and we got cold sunday night.

and loved almost every minute of it

it was raining in Scranton btw. pretty much from the PA line north