• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't even all that windy...

Judging by the flags in some of the group photos, it looks pretty windy to me:

http://www.joleschorders.com/view_user_pho...05733&SUB=0

It's just wind & water. Sure, it caused some challenges for our performance, but at no time did I feel like my safety was being compromised.

To the original poster: I didn't bust my ### all season long to let a little weather get in the way. If you don't love what you're doing enough to suck it up and deal with some rain, maybe this isn't the right activity for you.

I would beg to differ with you on the wind part. When we, Lakeshoremen, started our closer all #### broke loose. There was some pretty serious wind on the field at that time.

Maybe, but there was far more wind the week before at the Reading show. Just ask the Rochester Crusaders who had to go chasing after wayward props!

I preferred performing in the storm rather having it cancelled. It was a lot more than just "rain and wind" though -- it was pretty freakin' intimidating throwing objects into the air and not knowing where they'd come down or whether or not you'd break a finger or two committing to a rifle catch.

My only real fear was getting hurt and not being able to have a kick-### performance on Sunday.

My only real regret is not having an audience there to hype on.

Big thanks to those wet folks who hung in there to cheer for us! We appreciated it !!!

<edited for filter circumvention: ds>

Maybe, but there was far more wind the week before at the Reading show. Just ask the Rochester Crusaders who had to go chasing after wayward props!

You want to talk about wind? You should have seen the Bridgmen show. I almost got blown on my keester several times on the field.

I dont think its unreasonable that some people who actually performed in that weather would have preferred nicer conditions. Pretty natural sentiment one would think. I have a total of 7 years of corps marching experience and another 2 in college marching band. I have never performed in conditions like those.

We did our jobs, we performed to the best of our abilities out there and it was pretty good. Doesnt mean I cant wish the DCA would have moved the Alumni show to earlier Sunday morning followed by prelims and then finals. Drum corps used to have prelims and finals on the same day for many years, its nothing new.

Doesnt mean I cant wish the DCA would have moved the Alumni show to earlier Sunday morning followed by prelims and then finals.

Earlier?, at 10:00 AM I would bet that not even half the paying customers were in their seats yet for the Alumni Corps show,.........I Understand you would want to perform in front of a crowd, so would we,...................I am an advocate for moving the Alumni Corps show to noon maybe, but not ealier than 10:00 AM on a Sunday morning,..............but you can wish!

Earlier?, at 10:00 AM I would bet that not even half the paying customers were in their seats yet for the Alumni Corps show,.........I Understand you would want to perform in front of a crowd, so would we,...................I am an advocate for moving the Alumni Corps show to noon maybe, but not earlier than 10:00 AM on a Sunday morning,..............but you can wish!

Just wishing! In any event, prelims used to start at 8am back in the paleolithic era. Perhaps prelims first followed by the Alumni Spectacular then finals would have been a better suggestion. The time was available to do all three as there was nothing happening at that stadium from 2-6pm on Sunday.

You want to talk about wind? You should have seen the Bridgmen show. I almost got blown on my keester several times on the field.

You guys also got the only 30 seconds of sunshine that fell on Rochester the entire weekend! :P

I preferred performing in the storm rather having it cancelled. It was a lot more than just "rain and wind" though -- it was pretty freakin' intimidating throwing objects into the air and not knowing where they'd come down or whether or not you'd break a finger or two committing to a rifle catch.

My only real fear was getting hurt and not being able to have a kick-azz performance on Sunday.

My only real regret is not having an audience there to hype on.

Big thanks to those wet folks who hung in there to cheer for us! We appreciated it !!!

A handful of us from Shenandoah Sound watched the entire prelims from the upper deck. It was amazing to watch rifles fly into the air and actually be caught 5 or 6 yards away from the throw. We were constantly amazed at the few number of drops we saw. One guard person (don't remember which corps) ran out of bounds for her catch. She got a standy "O". If the corps were going to be on the field we as spectators owe it to them to watch.