We went on FIRST!!!! I was there.....

My point if I didnt make it clear is that somewhere between sucking it up and adapting and overcoming and the point at which youre actual calling a halt to performances, there is the real possibility that you are not giving the best show you could and the judges are not able to do the best job they could either.

It may not have been as important to you but from where Kilties sat, we had to beat at least three corps that went on after us to have a shot at top 10. Now according to season high scores, we were "expected" to beat 2 of those corps. But catching any of the three corps that were actually in catching distance was going to require our best performance and no matter what anyone says no one can give their absolute best performance in those conditions. Obviously all the corps were faced with those conditions, but what ends up happening is that the top 10 seeds became the ten finalists, and I feel irked that we'll never know if on a better day with better conditions with everyone firing on all 8 cylinders bringing their best stuff, that things would have turned out the same way.

To be clear here what I am saying is that I would have preferred to wait until the next day. That said, watching Carolina Gold and Corpvets and Hurricanes on Sunday night I dont know if we would have been able to take one of them.

Call it whining if you want and Im sure some will, but you want everyone on their best game when youre determining who the top 10 DCA corps are, not who are the best "mudders".

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wishing! In any event, prelims used to start at 8am back in the paleolithic era. Perhaps prelims first followed by the Alumni Spectacular then finals would have been a better suggestion. The time was available to do all three as there was nothing happening at that stadium from 2-6pm on Sunday.

I was just about to post this. There is no reason that all three events could not have been held on the same day.

I read somewhere about stadium staff. I spoke to my mother about this, as she is the food and beverage director for a major entertainment complex in Toronto. She says that they always have back up plans available when events come to town. They've had postponed events before, and staff has had to come in at a different time than originally scheduled. It happens, and they deal with it.

Given that we knew about Ernesto about a week ahead of time, a backup plan could of been in place for the weekend.

Maybe, but there was far more wind the week before at the Reading show. Just ask the Rochester Crusaders who had to go chasing after wayward props!

Hahaha, my gril friend said it alomost took out the tenor line, lol.

To the whiners...read Lee Rudnicki's blog...and then apologize for wasting our collective time.

I don't see the relevance. Renegades had that second chance to play their show in optimal conditions. I bet that one performance made up for all the crap the GADES had to go through, and its what made the members appreciate the adversity endured and ultimate commraderie they had developed as a result because they had that one performance where everything finally came together. Thats the one good performance half the corps' didn't get because they didn't make finals.

Thanks for the diversion though. Now back to our regularly scheduled gripe. :lol:

My point if I didnt make it clear is that somewhere between sucking it up and adapting and overcoming and the point at which youre actual calling a halt to performances, there is the real possibility that you are not giving the best show you could and the judges are not able to do the best job they could either.

It may not have been as important to you but from where Kilties sat, we had to beat at least three corps that went on after us to have a shot at top 10. Now according to season high scores, we were "expected" to beat 2 of those corps. But catching any of the three corps that were actually in catching distance was going to require our best performance and no matter what anyone says no one can give their absolute best performance in those conditions. Obviously all the corps were faced with those conditions, but what ends up happening is that the top 10 seeds became the ten finalists, and I feel irked that we'll never know if on a better day with better conditions with everyone firing on all 8 cylinders bringing their best stuff, that things would have turned out the same way.

To be clear here what I am saying is that I would have preferred to wait until the next day. That said, watching Carolina Gold and Corpvets and Hurricanes on Sunday night I dont know if we would have been able to take one of them.

Call it whining if you want and Im sure some will, but you want everyone on their best game when youre determining who the top 10 DCA corps are, not who are the best "mudders".

Well, technically we were LAST seed in Class A. And we sucked it up and had our best show up to that point.....believe it or not. It could have gone either way and people could have fallen apart and I COULD be griping about it just like you are. However, we were not sure our score would hold up to get us into finals and when we heard they were taking a break until the weather improved for the last 3 Class A corps I thought we were done..... we were already back at our hotel so I took a nap. When I woke up I found out we made finals...:-)

The guys it was really tough for were the judges...they had to maintain their focus for 8 hrs straight in that. And I am sure they knew that they had to mainting their objectivity from start to finish without getting grumpy or fatigued because all the hard work of a couple of thousand performers was depending on it. I don't know if everyone was happy with their scores, but I do believe that everyone did the best job they could.

yeah ... what He said

Well, technically we were LAST seed in Class A. And we sucked it up and had our best show up to that point.....believe it or not. It could have gone either way and people could have fallen apart and I COULD be griping about it just like you are.

The circumstances were exactly the same for us. We sucked it up and gave our best performance of the year and for the second time achieved the highest score ever by Kilties since they became a senior corps. It doesnt remove the disappointment of feeling like we could have even done better had there actually been yardlines and hashes and the other adverse conditions. I have nothing but pride for the Kilties and the performance we turned in at prelims. I dont have to gripe about anything. This is a thread disucssing whether things could have done better by DCA.

I don't see the relevance. Renegades had that second chance to play their show in optimal conditions. I bet that one performance made up for all the crap the GADES had to go through, and its what made the members appreciate the adversity endured and ultimate commraderie they had developed as a result because they had that one performance where everything finally came together. Thats the one good performance half the corps' didn't get because they didn't make finals.

Thanks for the diversion though. Now back to our regularly scheduled gripe. :lol:

YEAH!

what HE said (again)

Actually, I think YR-Rudi was remembering the Tournament of Stars show in Bayonne on June 10th. Wow, the wind was incredible. The real heroes that day were the colorguard members--I don't know how they put up with that much wind. On one gust, my vibraphone actually blew out of position and started to roll across the parking lot!

Bob Blomberg

I think he was too. The show was June 10 and the wind was astonishing. I am very petite and light weight and I was blown sideways into the horn next to me several times during our show! I kept waiting for a house to fall on my sister..........Surprisingly it was not hard to play. The wind just carried the notes. I wouldn't have wanted to do guard though. A funny about that day: I prepared a picnic lunch for a few of us and when we started to eat, the food went flying off the blanket and plates! :lol: