1st point...you cant put DCA's all inone day anymore with the alumni show going on.. unless you start at 3am.

2nd point...you must be a bandparent since by you saying have a standstill is really stupid and idiotic.

as a marching member you have to deal with whatever situation is given to you as long as there isn't lightning. yes it was cold and misserable,but thats what brings you closer as a corps when there is situations you can't control.

DCA did the best job they could for what they were faced with. they made it the best expierience for all the corps as best that they could.

Actually you could have started the prelims on sunday at the same time and made a go of it for prelims being your final score.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1984...DCI Finals...Atlanta, GA...it rained on us in prelims or finals (can't remember which). Granted, it was only a little rain and it stopped after a few minutes. But I don't recall any discussion of delay due to the weather front. Suck it up......

In my 3 years in DCI I remember doing a show once in our corps jackets because of the weather....Troopers home show as I recall... but we still performed.

I have a list of things for DCA to do for next year but rescheduling due to those conditions was not one of them. Yup, I was wet. Yup, it was cold. But from the moment we got the the gate to the moment we left the field I never noticed the rain or wind or hail or cold. The only thing I was worried about before we got on the field were puddles and slippery surface...neither of which were a problem. This is Drum Corps....what does not kill you makes you stronger....this is one thing that separates us from....bands.

Im confused. So what would it have taken an actual funnel cloud in the area to convince you that these conditions were bad enough? Things were BAD, and from what I understand by the time we got on they had improved somewhat so I can hardly imagine what the first few corps had to fight through.

A handful of us from Shenandoah Sound watched the entire prelims from the upper deck. It was amazing to watch rifles fly into the air and actually be caught 5 or 6 yards away from the throw. We were constantly amazed at the few number of drops we saw. One guard person (don't remember which corps) ran out of bounds for her catch. She got a standy "O". If the corps were going to be on the field we as spectators owe it to them to watch.

As a performing member, that was our sentiment exactly,going on in the monsoon. If there are 10 people in the stands, they are going to get the best performance we have to give!!!

And with no lines or hashes to add to the total enjoyment of freezing my nads off(can I say that), it was a show I will remember the rest of my life!

Something that used to be taught in the OLD days,was to adapt and overcome. Lines or no lines, hashes marked wrong or missing. Performing in an old corn field or cow pasture.......it happens in real life too. Its not all rosy and perfect all the time.

Everyone I talked to who performed in the monsoon, survived it.I don't know of anyone who would rather have done a standstill indoors.

What about the judges?!

Out in that ALL DAY.!!!!!! How about an attaboy for them.

There are some good suggestions I've read on here, and I'm sure there will be a Plan B and C for next year. You learn and grow better with challenges like we had this year in Rochester.

Looking forward to next season so we can entertain again!

And THANKS to Shenandoah Sound for the DCA South support from the upper deck of the wind tunnel !!

Hope to see you on the field next year Sound.

Thanks for your support to all who braved the elements.

Till next year,

John Hoekstra

CorpsVets

If that was the best that DCA had to offer, I shudder. No pictures, video blurred by rain drops. And I can't wait for the audio that sounds like popcorn and freight trains. Not that I know if that's how it'll be until I get them. It just irks me that after all our efforts, it may only be a couple dozen people who were actually in the stands that got to experience it to any recognizable format.

Tornado Watch - Favorable Conditions

Tornado Warning - SOMEONE SAW ONE

There are very few forcasters that I know of that ever get this right. Even so called "professional" ones. Outside of twister alley anyway. As far as going under those stands for "shelter", surely you jest. They creeked and groan and moved when only one person was walking on them. I'd rather take shelter on the bus than under those stands. One person even used a seat as a step up to the next row and the whole row of seats bent forward a good six inches. And he wasn't a very big person.

I really didn't mind performing in those conditions. I've done it before, even in DCI. It rained so much one year, we had a set of rain plumes and non-rain plumes. Granted that we were fortunate enough to have most if not all other performances in favorable (except for heat) conditions this season, prior to prelims. I did however mind finding out that the video suffered, and the pictures didn't even happen. And who knows how the audio will turn out. Not that DCA has much say in those, outside of the selection of the companies used.

Im confused. So what would it have taken an actual funnel cloud in the area to convince you that these conditions were bad enough? Things were BAD, and from what I understand by the time we got on they had improved somewhat so I can hardly imagine what the first few corps had to fight through.

We went on FIRST!!!! I was there.....

But I think we will invest in those uniform raincoats I saw some of the east coast corps wearing.....DCA-only attire for us west-coasters. ;-)

Edited by ducttapedgerbil

If that was the best that DCA had to offer, I shudder. No pictures, video blurred by rain drops. And I can't wait for the audio that

I really didn't mind performing in those conditions. I've done it before, even in DCI. It rained so much one year, we had a set of rain plumes and non-rain plumes. Granted that we were fortunate enough to have most if not all other performances in favorable (except for heat) conditions this season, prior to prelims. I did however mind finding out that the video suffered, and the pictures didn't even happen. And who knows how the audio will turn out. Not that DCA has much say in those, outside of the selection of the companies used.

one of my fav SCV memories is of a show we marched hatless (gasp) while wearing Texaco garbage bags instead of tunics, duct tape belts and our stars pinned to the garbage bag ... even that storm didn't measure up to Ernesto though B)

Hey... Why Not?

One big show (in the event of prelims being washed out that is).

Seems like a reasonable back-up plan.

I have to believe that this has been discussed before.

Thinking about it, two of the last four DCI shows I have attended were washed out into stand-stills, and neither were as wet as DCA prelims apparently were.

Won't it be ironic if next year in Cali gets washed out (You heard it here first. Yes I am off topic. I will shut up now).

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

We actually had a funnel cloud form in Arnold, MA and still performed. We were 1st in competition that night. Our show was stopped halfway through for lightning, but after about 45 minutes we went back on the field again.

Hey... Why Not?

One big show (in the event of prelims being washed out that is).

Seems like a reasonable back-up plan.

I have to believe that this has been discussed before.

I'll third that motion. If we're not going to play in front of the crowd why bother playing at all? We could have done it in our own backyard. For the 37 people in the stands, thanks for staying. Now how many of you 37 actually paid for those seats, or for any seat on that day for that matter? :)

Are you citing a distinction between Tornado Warnings (where one has been sighted) and just fear of the possibilities of tornadoes developing (Tornado Watch) as a reason? Kilties were waiting in our bus a couple blocks over and our director informed us there had been a tornado warning, but I didnt take it to mean there were actually tornadoes in the area. All I knew was that it was raining pretty hard and I was glad not to have to get out of the bus for awhile. Conditions were crappy by any measurement.

I wouldn't even know the difference between a "watch" and a "warning". We don't have tornadoes in NYC. lol

I'm just saying that any and all mention of tornadoes was after the show had already been stopped. It wasn't the reason for the stoppage.