1979 North Star - Awesome!

Well, it's not like Concord and Santa Clara are all that far apart, either.

Personally, I see some value to the local rivalry. Would the Blue Devils have risen as far (and as quickly) as they did without SCV as a standard to strive toward?

I agree. I remember in the month (in BD) or so getting ready for the evaluation show in California thinking about what our show would look like and how it would measure up to what SCV had. There's nothing that will keep your head into rehearsal like knowing you are up against SCV at your first show.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... thinking about what our show would look like and how it would measure up

Right. For the Defenders, North star was that corps. The one to beat. For the

whole time from 1976 to 1982 THAT's who we were chasing. Granted we beat

them a few times during the season here and there, but it's the end of the

season that counted.

I think we only really beat them at folding first. :( :( :(

I never realized Concord and Santa Clara were only about an hour apart. I always think of California cities as being San Francisco to LA apart. Thanks for the geography lesson!!

:)

Right. For the Defenders, North star was that corps. The one to beat. For the

whole time from 1976 to 1982 THAT's who we were chasing. Granted we beat

them a few times during the season here and there, but it's the end of the

season that counted.

I think we only really beat them at folding first. :( :( :(

I remember after 82 prelims in Montreal having one of the instructors of N.S. tell me that Jim Obrien was asked by the management of Defenders about the possibility of the two corps coming together. Jim did not do it because of the finances of N.S. This was not long after we had we had competed when I heard that. It was at that time we were told the corps was folding. I do not know when the Defenders found out but we were still loading the equipment truck after the performance when we found out. Then we went back to the school we were staying at and performed one last time for our staff, family and friends. There was not a dry eye on that field.

I remember after 82 prelims in Montreal having one of the instructors of N.S. tell me that Jim Obrien was asked by the management of Defenders about the possibility of the two corps coming together. Jim did not do it because of the finances of N.S. This was not long after we had we had competed when I heard that. It was at that time we were told the corps was folding. I do not know when the Defenders found out but we were still loading the equipment truck after the performance when we found out. Then we went back to the school we were staying at and performed one last time for our staff, family and friends. There was not a dry eye on that field.

OMG...I never knew that. no One did. We didn't fold until that winter.

I'm choked up.

wow.

wow.

One person's entertainment is another person's trite and lame. I couldn't stand that 79 NS show, and not just because they beat us every night. The drum line played great, of course, but I was never a beach boys fan and the whole pie in the face thing was dumb, and was that the year they used the BIG LIPS? Puleez. I'm not drinking the koolaid on today's corps either, but that's not a show I want to see again.

I got the 2 mixed up as well, I loved 1980 which is the one I watch the most.

I believe last year when we were discussing the Classic Countdown everyone was saying we must try to get the votes for either 79 or 80.

That would be fabulous!

Edited by LancerFi

I got the 2 mixed up as well, I loved 1980 which is the one I watch the most.

I believe last year when we were discussing the Classic Countdown everyone was saying we must try to get the votes for either 79 or 80.

That would be fabulous!

Oh good.. can I count on you and what you write..?

Sharon

Thanks Geoff, she's new here and doesn't know how many times I've said I've love NS and their guard

Really? Let's see..

However if you want to go ### for tat yes you did have a color guard on the field and now what?

And byline it's not about dollars and cents, it's about winning or coming in 2nd? That's what I thought I was doing.

However now that you, yes you, brought it up, my dear NS girl, the competition end, I never thought I and we never thought we'd be competing with NS for 5th or anything close to you by the time finals came around, just never! A different league darlin. I'm sorry, a great and pound for pound better than us in drums and maybe even horns, never guard of course, but we had alot you didn't have! And I didn't get my due? Where were you all of those years?

Lancerfi? You weren't about supporting North Star.. and it's guard.

Please..

Christ....come one, you can't be serious about me getting my due at the top of the game and at the top of the heap, now you've really ###### me off, it's people that weren't Reveries that do it every time too, you know, I hang with NS peoples from the Reveries more than 2-7 people, you don't even know me or who I know, what I was, what I did, and you're calling me out like someone else we know??? We rooted for you, got it, they were my best friends and still are!

I'm sorry.. Never was any part of the Reveries.

OK band wagon you want band wagon, go away, we were the band wagon, we don't need any trouble makers here from RAMD and I did know this would eventually happen. I called it and can I get a witness........grow up everyone!

Now what? :P Are you going to apologize now?

AND.. why THIS group... is the WAY.. IT is.

I'm just waiting for "someone" to make sure it isn't appropriate for me to comment here.

Sharon

NS by the way those were my initials until I was 33...... :P

All I have to say is.. to YOU and anyone else?

This thread is about North Star.

And now.. "I" will LECTURE..

My lecture is this..

My opinion is that North Star should be given it's due.

And those that need to shore up themselves?

Isn't right.

Sharon

PS: Lancerfi?

PPS? You - as well?

Yes, that's your opinion, and I see your explanation of why you responded the way you did to Geoff. But here's the thing: In my opinion (and yes, it's my opinion), you've ascribed intentions to Nancy that I don't believe were part of her post. My perception of what she said is that she was trying to explain why, in many ways, the existence of both 27th Lancers and North Star so close together created something like a "divorce" relationship between the two corps. That's no exaggeration, as I've also seen firsthand the feelings created by such a rivalry.

Secondly, rather than denigrating North Star, she was actually complimenting them by noting that had two separate corps been one, that corps very well could have become a superpower rivaling Blue Devils. It's only natural that she made that comment with regard to 27th Lancers, but she just as easily could have used North Star as the superpower example . . . and maybe that would have prevented you responding as you did. But it's perfectly understandable to cite ones own corps as an example. If I were talking about it with regard to Oakland and Seneca, I'd probably use Oakland as my example, while a Seneca person would use Seneca. Not too hard to figure that one out, from an emotional standpoint. That doesn't mean either of us is denigrating the other, just going with who, in our dreams, we would've liked to see achieve superpower status. It's only natural that it would be our own corps.

But, of course, this gets back into the almost divorce-like emotions that run high between rival corps. Pick a corps with a rival nearby, and you'll likely hear/read exactly the same sentiments. I think that's part of what Nancy was addressing, too.

So, in my opinion, yours was an overreaction. But, of course, that's just my take on it.